New moms & candy crazy

Options
Yup, I'm both. 66lb to lose (only a handful due to pregnancy), avoiding being seen in public, can't handle a day with no cake. A 3 month old to care. Do you relate? Can we do it?

Replies

• prudons
    prudons Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi big time yes. I have two year old and piled on 5kg in last 6 months due to the love of cake and chocolate. Started work and no clothes fit.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I have 3 kids. Yes you can do it. Take it one day at a time. Sometimes making small changes will give you more success long term than making a bunch of drastic changes. Start by logging your food honestly for a couple weeks. Next look for ways you can cut out extra calories (use light version of foods or reduce the serving size). Then incorporate more exercise into your life. As a new mom it would be good to start by strengthening your core and doing low impact like walking or swimming. If you are nursing you will need to be careful not to overly restrict calories as doing so will likely reduce your milk supply. After about 4-6 weeks postpartum you can slowly reduce calories a little at a time (no more than 250 at once probably) to ensure you don't hurt your milk supply. There are some mom groups here you might find helpful.
  • awesomelife1980
    awesomelife1980 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Where are the nursing mom's groups? I don't know how to track my goals without cutting my calories too much.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Under the community tab click groups then search moms. If you are nursing full time it will burn about 500 calories a day so you can still lose weight through nursing.
  • JaiDessaT
    JaiDessaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Typically it is recommended not to restrict calories below 1800 while nursing. I did this and was able to maintain my supply. Exercise away your calories and remember that nursing, especially exclusive nursing, burns roughly 500 calories per day.
  • JaiDessaT
    JaiDessaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    DessaTuck wrote: »
    Typically it is recommended not to restrict calories below 1800 while nursing. I did this and was able to maintain my supply. Exercise away your calories and remember that nursing, especially exclusive nursing, burns roughly 500 calories per day.

So you could lose 2 lbs per week, simply nursing and keeping calories at 1800 with (optional) gentle exercise. I went from 231 to 191 doing just nursing and 1850 calories. Gained a lot of it back due to a medication I was taking to help my supply. Back down again to 185.

Good luck on your journey ☺