How many steps do you take a day?

Options
AsrarHussain
AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I installed a app today I did Not do of walking about 8000 what a good number and what do you do

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I think the recommendation is to aim for 10k. I'll have to look around.

I was averaging 13k+ a day before last month. Last month I ended up with bronchitis and my 28 day average step count is down 30%.
    As of tonight my:
    28 Day Average - 8,604
    7 Day Average - 9,932

edit: Okay so it isn't an official recommendation. It was a marketing ploy by a company that made pedometers in Japan in the 1960's. It still floats around though because it is highly likely that if you hit 10k steps your meeting the CDC's recommended 150 minutes of moderate activity in a week.

Mayo clinic advises seeing how many steps you take on average and try increasing it by 1000 or so a week.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/walking/art-20047880?pg=1
    http://www.livescience.com/43956-walking-10000-steps-healthy.html
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I average around 12,000 a day
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I aim for a weekly total of 140 000 which is about 20 000 per day. Some days I'm way more active and some I barely hit 4000.
  • Azztheraz
    Azztheraz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I average around 6k a day but that's mainly due to my daily routines of needing a car to get certain places that would take me an hour to walk to normally. If your worried your not hitting your targets. Just lower it. You can always increase it later.
  • chi2teach
    chi2teach Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My goal is 9,000. I'm a teacher.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If I'm not trying, and just going through my normal day, I average 3500 a day because my job involves sitting at a desk. So I made my goal 8000 a day because that bumps me into the "lightly active" vs "sedentary" category and 10000 is a huge time commitment for me at the current paces I'm able to maintain.
    This week I've been killing it, though, and averaging about 9000 a day.

I think targets are flexible. Anything that gets you moving more than you were before is a good starting place.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I average between 20,000-30,000 steps a day
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    12,000-17,000 steps a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I average 11,000 steps a day.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    12,000 a day which is not comprehensive as I just purchased it last week and had a couple variances with my workout days on two days this week.. I normally work out more which would make my steps more than 12,000.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    When I'm working usually between 10-15000 (I'm a nurse). If I'm off sometimes under a thousand. I do run 2-3 miles on my day off but I don't track those steps.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    On a work day about 11,000-15,000. On my days off...yeah I should really work on that.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I average 17000, my rest day I do a minimum of 10k and the other days somewhere between 17 - 21k
  • Kirky_V2
    Kirky_V2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My work is desk based, so I'm really conscious of inactivity. I average 13,000 a day, with bad days around 7k, and training days with a long run up to 30k.

So what's a good number? Whatever your normal daily count is, plus 5 - 10%. That way your average is always getting higher :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I've read somewhere that for maintenance 10k is a good average, for weight loss 12k..
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Average step counts don't do much for me. My minimum goal is 12K per day, which I will meet unless I'm sick, injured, or stuck with sedentary obligations all day long. On non-running days, I might not hit as much as 14K. On week days when I run, I could be between 18K and 24K steps. On long run days, I could be between 25K and 30K steps. I think I was over 35K steps the day of the Buffalo Marathon. I don't think I've broken 40K steps on any day when I've tracked steps.

When I have had foot injuries, at times the goal was to stay *under* 5K steps per day. That was pretty easy on Sundays, and challenging the rest of the week.

To put the weight loss vs. maintenance thing in perspective, I am in maintenance. I have made my weight trend sideways for over 3 years, through running, being injured, returning to running, and training up to a marathon. How much I get to eat to maintain my weight has changed quite a bit with that much variability in how active I've been.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    it varies day to day and i don't really worry about some arbitrary number of steps...I eat well and exercise regularly and that has worked just fine for me. my primary form of cardio is cycling...so technically, no steps there...but I think 60-80 miles per week of cycling is just fine.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    20000 and I'm a dance teacher.
  • javarob66
    javarob66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like variety, so I don't worry too much about steps. I use it more for letting me know when I have been sitting too long. I cycle, lift weights and throw in sit ups and burpee's, etc. I like the activity monitor just as a constant reminder that I need to watch what I eat and be moving.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My goal is 12500. Most days I exceed that. I get them in walking the dog, doing errands and house work.