accountability

Options
MsFit97
MsFit97 Posts: 3 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone else feel like they need someone who will keep them honest and just check-in with

Replies

• ariana_eatsandlifts
    ariana_eatsandlifts Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Not really... What keeps me honest is looking in the mirror and feeling how my clothes fit.
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I do always
  • RagnarokAndRoll
    RagnarokAndRoll Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it would be helpful to have that, actually, if the person weren't judgmental. It's easier to make excuses to myself.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    No not at all

My life, my journey
    My decisions and my health.

I am responsible for it and when i dont do it i have to accept all the (bad) consequences that it will bring when i dont lose this weight.

95069916.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I just started the VA's TeleMove program - I need to weigh every day on a special scale that they sent me and this gets transmitted to a nurse who is monitoring me. I'm interested to see how this accountability affects my progress, which has been minute since I hit my first goal weight.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    The only person I need to answer to throughout this process is ME! :]
    If I decide to throw in the towel, it'll ME that's depriving myself of my goal - it doesn't affect anyone else.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    No, I think I would over think things.

Instead of just going along at my own pace, I would be too conscious of someone looking over my shoulder.

I don't open my diary, I eat silly things some days, too much others, too little sometimes, and just right most of the time.

I don't need someone checking in on me.

Cheers, h.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I keep my diary open as the idea that sometimes people might look at my odd choices keeps me in line to some degree, but that is just a tactic - it is still me keeping myself in line.

I know this because when people do make snide remarks about my diary, I really don't like it and get annoyed. I like the idea of silent witnesses, but I don't really want some nosy person commenting on every little thing.

I also wonder at the numbers. I see a lot of people on forums reaching out for others to hold them accountable. I think we would be short of policeman types and have too many people looking for policeman types. I also wonder if anyone actually is a consistent policeman.

If you are worried you are going to lose interest and slack off unless someone else watches you and hits you with a stick or something... what does the person with the stick get in return? You might think you would police them back, but would you really? If you don't have the discipline to keep interest in the fine details of your own plan, would you really have the stamina to be constantly checking the diary of the people on you friends list? If you can't promise that you can do that for them, don't be surprised that no one has the bandwidth to do it for you either.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    The woman looking back in the mirror at me is accountability enough. The slowly-getting-flatter stomach. The higher energy levels. The clothes that fit even better and aren't just about covering up lumps and bumps. The way I can turn sideways to look in the mirror and not feel horrified by the look. The fact that I could zip up a size (AUS) 16 dress without effort in a store and the only problem with it was that my boobs were too small to fill it out. All that is my accountability.

And that's only after 10kg down. I'm sure there'll be even more accountability to be had for the next ten, and the ten after that, and the ten after that. I'm looking forward to it.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    It all varies person by person. If you want someone to call you out when you aren't doing what you should, by all means seek friends out that will do that for you.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    There is a Motivation and Support category here that you might find more helpful if you are looking for support/accountability partners.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    MsFit97 wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel like they need someone who will keep them honest and just check-in with

No, because I am 100% accountable to myself. I have the tools to be in charge of my own weight loss journey.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Not really. I'm pretty motivated, all on my own.

I also won't yell at someone else if they decide to have a burger and fries or a bag of candy or whatever. I know some people thrive when others take them to task, but I couldn't do it, even so. I'd be like, "No big whup, get back on the horse," lol.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For some people, that can really help them stay on track. I think it could be a good idea. But I feel like I need to be completely anonymous and discrete about my weight loss. Before I started MFP, I lost 10 pounds on just eating right (now, I'm going to try to incorporate an active lifestyle), but the 10lbs is somewhat noticeable and I feel like I need to wear more clothing to hide the fact that I lost a little weight.
    Telling someone(outside the web) about my goals would just stress me out.

The hard part is that it's a lifestyle change so my family members notice that I go out a lot more to "odd" places. Like the recreational centre for swimming. Or when they buy loads of junk food, they offer me to eat it, and I don't really feel like eating it...but at the same time, I don't want them to question why I won't eat it. If I don't take their offering, they make a big deal about it. It's just not part of their culture to be fit. Eating, drinking, food is such a massive part of our culture, but since I came as a kid, I have adopted lots of Western views of food and being active. I remember one time, my parents said, "back in our country, you would never see an adult still playing basketball or running around - that's for children. People here continue to play like children". That being said, my parents aren't even close to being a little over-weight...so I can't really propose that their culture being deeply embedded with food is damaging their health.

But that perspective definitely makes it harder to ask for accountability. I prefer to hide my weight losses, and my more active life.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope. I look in the mirror and there she is!
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I never needed it and i'm glad now that I didn't. I'm still a fair way away to my goal and people close to me have started the "Oh you're too skinny!" "Why don't you eat X, you'll be fine, you're so thin!" "You're not anorexic are you??"

Yes while i'm at a "healthy weight", i'm not where I want to be. If I needed other people to keep me in line, I would have slacked off by now and be back where I started.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I have always preferred doing things on my own. I keep my diary closed because I don't need some well-meaning individual telling me that I shouldn't eat chocolate, that I should eat fewer carbs, whatever. If I get to the point where I'm struggling to lose and don't know why, THEN I will open my diary.

I hate food cops. I've been trying to lose weight for many years. In the beginning, my husband's idea of "help" was to police me: "Why are you eating that? Can you have that? Stop eating." Comments like that send me straight to the couch with a package of Oreos. He finally realized that if I want his help/opinion, I will ask for it, and that telling me, "Great job! Keep it up" goes much further than, "Do you really need to eat that?"