Workout Music

Options
Hey guys post what you're usually bumping during your workouts! Got any go to artists, albums, or songs?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Generic 160 bpm music from Amazon. Keeps my pace where I need it to be now. Perhaps, someday, I'll graduate to 180 bpm. 160 is a 10 to11 minute mile pace. Keeping that up for 4 miles.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I actually find that I don't run to the beat of music. That may be something odd about me, I don't know, but my cadence naturally stays between 175 and 180 and 180 steps per minute is the optimal cadence for running because it shortens your stride and reduces the chance of joint injuries.

I use the Zombies, Run! app in combination with my running playlist and it not only keeps me stepping along it makes me look forward to my next run and the next episode of the story. I know some people who run or walk while listening to audio books or podcasts rather than music.

As far as songs, I try to keep it upbeat and I stick to music I know rather than music at a certain tempo (since the tempo doesn't affect my cadence). My playlist covers music from the 1950s right up to stuff released just this month and my taste leans toward alternative rock. I guess my point is, listen to what you like. If you find that your workout is affected by the pace of your music, try to find music you like that fits the optimal cadence for whatever you're doing. If the cadence doesn't matter, stick to what motivates you most.

Here's a few songs from my list:

Pitbull - Back in Time
    The Kooks - Bad Habit
    The Griswolds - Beware the Dog
    Duran Duran - Careless Memories
    Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party
    Walk the Moon - Different Colors
    New Politics - Harlem
    Cheap Trick - Dream Police
    Daft Punk - Get Lucky
    Adam Ant - Goody Two Shoes
    Two Door Cinema Club - I Can Talk
    Aerosmith - Just Push Play
    Modest Mouse - Lampshades on Fire
    Barenaked Ladies - Odds Are
    The Offspring - Why Don't You Get a Job
    Huey Lewis and the News - Workin' For a Livin'
    The Cars - You Might Think
    Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round

• mrnobodi95
    mrnobodi95 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That sounds interesting, I've heard of the Zombies, Run! App but never really understood how the "interactive stories" worked.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    mrnobodi95 wrote: »
    That sounds interesting, I've heard of the Zombies, Run! App but never really understood how the "interactive stories" worked.

The stories aren't what I'd really call interactive in that you don't have a choice of what happens. The story unfolds around you, you're a character called "Runner 5". People talk to you, things "happen" to you during each episode like getting chased by zombies, kidnapped, shot at.... Some episodes end in cliffhangers, some don't. How the app works is that you start off with a story segment that lasts a minute or three. That segment sets up the episode and then your character runs from one place to another. While your character is running, it'll play songs from a playlist on your phone that you specify. (I think you can now use a streaming music app to supply the music instead of songs downloaded on your phone, if you prefer.) Depending on the length of the run you set (25 minutes, 40 minutes or 60-75 minutes), it'll play either one or three songs then it'll play another story segment and repeat.
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I listen to a lot of Tech N9ne, Krizz Kaliko, Yelawolf, Rittz, Machine Gun Kelly, Fetty Wap, and similar artists. :D I like hip hop with a good beat to exercise to.
  • mrnobodi95
    mrnobodi95 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ohmyllama wrote: »
    I listen to a lot of Tech N9ne, Krizz Kaliko, Yelawolf, Rittz, Machine Gun Kelly, Fetty Wap, and similar artists. :D I like hip hop with a good beat to exercise to.

Haha I'm definitely a hiphop head too when it comes to running. I love Kendrick, J. Cole, Common, Kanye and other rappers to run too. I'm also pretty into electronica like The Chemical Brothers and Alternative rock like Yeah Yeah Yeahs and St. Vincent.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options