Do You Find Yourself Itching To...

Options
Exercise?

Even when you know you are way overdue for a day off?

I used to be the laziest guy you'd ever meet, but am so into this "getting fit" thing that I'm finding it hard to rest my weary body even when I'm plenty sore today LOL

Being stuck in a plateau doesn't help things either...

Do you rest when your body tells you to, or do you still do something light like swimming?

Just curious...

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Dude, you really should rest. It's hard when you're on a roll, but your body will thank you. Don't risk injury! Go at it full force tomorrow!
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Yep- it haunts me all day at work until I can get home to do it!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I feel guilty when I take a rest day, but I do force myself to do it. I find that if I take 1 or 2 a week, I actually lose more than if I workout every day. There is science behind that, but I can't remember why off the top of my head. I'll see if I can find the article and post later.
  • chadam1015
    chadam1015 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    All the time. I said to someone a few months ago "I never thought the words l like to exercise would come out of my mouth." Its crazy. I went from big time couch potato to exersise lover!!
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I feel guilty when I take a rest day, but I do force myself to do it. I find that if I take 1 or 2 a week, I actually lose more than if I workout every day. There is science behind that, but I can't remember why off the top of my head. I'll see if I can find the article and post later.

Oh please do! That sounds like something I want to hear!!! Maybe something to do with overworked muscles retaining water? I feel super guilty when I don't exercise, so anything that will help me take a rest would be great!
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way... I have to force myself to take a rest day like I did on Sunday after 6 or 7 days straight. Your body definitely needs it... no walking... no biking... nothing... just a day of complete rest!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I exercise when I really want to, but if I am not really in the mood, I will let myself slide for that day. I try to exercise 5 times a week.
  • ceirawillsucceed
    ceirawillsucceed Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i am the exact same. i feel so guilty if i dont exercise. i find when i exercise i feel so much better in myself.
  • GinaSmash
    GinaSmash Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's hard to take a day off for me because I think it will slow my momentum. I do try to do something active on my rest days even if it's not an intense work out session. It makes me feel a little better.

I also know that rest is the key! I'm working on getting a consistent 8 hours of sleep.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    here is one article. I know I saw more - either in Runners World, Self, or Shape.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/RestandRecovery.htm
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, exercising makes tiny tears in your muscles, and when you rest, those tears get repaired and you get stronger.

So that's what I tell myself when I feel itchy on a rest day. I'm not being lazy, I'm repairing my muscles. Then I watch a movie. :laugh:
  • Wangenstein
    Options
    I know my muscles retain water for a good day after a workout. And for soreness (or to prevent it), I eat a banana a couple of hours before working out. It takes about 98% of the pain out of the next two days! Something about having potassium in your system when you damage the muscles. In any case, it works for me.
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just looked at my Reports and see that it's been 34 days since I have a full day off from anything, keep in mind that it's mainly brisk walking in the beginning, but the past 7-10 days I've been building in some light lifting and have even experimented with a little Insanity workout. I'm not in any major pain, but am certainly stiff and sore in a few spots LOL

Was thinking about heading to the Y to slip into the sauna and/or whirlpool, should I hop in the pool for a bit too, or skip that altogether and just rest?
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I'm finding myself having late night cravings to move instead of cravings to eat.. Like Monday night. 10pm I'm sitting on the couch, after logging my food and exercise for the day, coming in under, and thinking how great it would be to go knock out 28 minutes on the treadmill... INstead of thinking about chips, or ice cream or any food... :)
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    That itch, is bloody itchy!!

I exercise 6 days a week average of 40mins

I HAD to rest last friday ive got a funny knee it was very badly playing up.

I did 24min jog, like an hour again, i want to go again, its addictive stuff!
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Totally feel that way! Used to hate exercise but now I love it and I feel awful on the days I dont get to!
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I ended up having to cut my lawn yesterday, so much for a day off LOL

Today was day two after doing my first Insanity workout with Shawn T and holy crap am I sore, needless to say, a much needed day of rest ;)

Talk about a major jump in intensity going from mainly cardio workouts and some very light lifting, to Insanity. The name is certainly fitting!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I've been off for just two days and my body hurts from NOT exercising. Mind, I hate to exercise, but because my BODY likes it, I do it. When I don't, it hurts. Weird, isn't it?
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    yes, definitely....

i'm not sure if it's the gym i'm after, or a break from the kids... but all the same, i get there... the kids drive me crazy, i get an hour or maybe even 90 minutes to myself...

and now, when i can't make the gym, i just have to get out and go for a walk, whether it's picking the kids up from kindy, or going to the shops or going for a 7km walk on my own.