Is it ok that my protein is in the negative #'s?

Options
Right now my protein is negative 7 and I havent eaten dinner yet. Is that OK? MFP set my protein at only 65. Maybe that isnt enough to begin with.

Replies

• GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    id say your ok on that. no worries
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about going over on protein ... all good!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'd agree- You're probably a little low in something else (I'm always low in fat) but a lot of folks think MFP has a low protein goal.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Hopefully its all good. I'm at -8 right now! Darn veggie burgers and cottage cheese!! LOL
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    why is it a negative number, you have had bfast and lunch...there were two opprutunities for some protein....
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I just concentrate on the calories, sometimes my sugars are a little high, but that's it.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    For us guys, going over protein is excellent. As long as your overall calories don't go over, you are good to go!!!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I don't know why the defaults are the way they are on MFP. I set my macros to 40% carbs 40% protein and 20% fat, which I have heard various trainers say is optimal. I have also heard you should have a gram of protein for every pound you weigh, which is a lot more than MFP defaults.
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You're fine! According to a protein calculator that a nutritionist gave me, I should eat like 120g of protein/day, but MFP only gives me like 65 as well, so as long as you stay under your cal goal-you should be good. MFP gives low protein goals.
  • nanna7400
    nanna7400 Posts: 9
    Options
    you only need 65-70 protein aday but more will not hurt you .keeps you full feeling
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Right now my protein is negative 7 and I havent eaten dinner yet. Is that OK? MFP set my protein at only 65. Maybe that isnt enough to begin with.
    to be clear, she says it is set at 65 grams for goal and she is over by 7 before dinner.
  • rhirvo
    rhirvo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You can customize your nutrition goals from your settings page - instead of going guided you can go custom and change that up!
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    ya, I change my setting to my own intake...proteinwas under 100g for me. I changed it to 300g and usually only tak ein about 200 and change
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I've never known too much protein to be a bad thing. I'm always over.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Protein, if anything, is the safest thing to eat "too much" of considering it's muscle-sparing effects. It's impossible to eat "too much" of anything UNLESS it sends you out of your caloric deficit for the day.

That being said, 65g protein probably isn't enough for you. The optimal amount of protein should be set at 1g per pound lean body mass, at least.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    As long as you are within your calories, it doesn't matter if you go over on your protein. I am almost always over on protein and under on carbs and fat. I spoke to a nutritionist and she says when it comes right down to it, just try to spread your calories through the day, and try to eat healthy and balanced, but don't sweat the numbers so much. For example, she says it doesn't matter whether the carbs come from grains or sugar, all that counts is carbs. You just get to eat more if you're eating healthier.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Its not a negative number, you mean you are over on protein by 7??? Cuz there is no way you ahve a negative number, meaning the food that you ate took away from your protein instead of adding.

Anyhoo, protein is fine to go over in! Its numbers like sodium, fat, cholesteral, etc that u dont want to go over in. I try to achieve going over every single vitamin on here everyday (a, c, iron, potassium); and try to get my sodium level as low as possible. im always over on sugar but its due to fruit, as opposed to candy and icecream so its good sugar.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine trying to eat as little protein as suggested by MFP, 15%. As a guy eating 2100 calories a day that would be only 79 grams. I just had 61g at lunch!

tim
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    As long as you take in fewer calories than you expend, you should be OK.
  • MsNiss
    MsNiss Posts: 57
    Options
    why is it a negative number, you have had bfast and lunch...there were two opprutunities for some protein....

If it's in a negative number, that means she's gone over by 7 grams, not the other way around.