Anyone else not trust their food scale?

Options
1st, can you not post a pic on here from your phone? And second, i weighed 28 grams of cheese puffs..the label said about 13pcs..i have 31..and 25 grams. Like a full sandwich bag. Everything else i weigh seems normal..this is a lot. If it is true i am excited. Eat all the cheese puffs!

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    drop a handful of non-damaged nickels on your scale. Each nickle should weigh 5g.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat all the cheese puffs! :wink:
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    First of all... look at your cheese puffs. Are they all the exact same size? Nope. It's difficult to codify something so inexact. That's why they say "about" on their measure.

Secondly... What kind of food scale do you have? Spring and platform? The spring is subject to the whims of nature, so to speak. Hotter, colder, full moon, new moon, living in the mountains or in a desert basin... any and all of these things are going to effect the way your food scale works. (Same goes for body weight/bathroom scales, too. I use a crossbeam counterweight body weight scales which, although it still depends upon a spring, I find it more accurate than any other scale I have owned. Had this one for about fifteen years and it's still going strong and just as accurate as the day it came home.)

I have a computer based, digital food scale which I trust implicity. I food shop at one of the big... BIG food 'club' stores once a month and buy in major quantities. I'm an omnivore (sorry veggie-terrians), and I cut up and portion out everything when I get home. Take ground beef and some will be mixed with seasonings and spices and made into patties. Pork and beef loins get sliced and seasoned. Everything gets measured and weighed, vacuum sealed (well, except the cheese slices - DO NOT vacuum seal cheese - it just gets mushed into one ugly slab.) Chicken (breast meat only, please) gets packaged individually. My son makes turkey BBQ out of the whole bird which is then pre-packaged in one or two-meal sized portions. the burgers get packaged individually, as well, and can be pulled out one, two, four at a time as needed. Then, everything goes into the freezer - DONE! My food scale goes back into its corner on the kitchen rack until the next month.

Not only is this process a time-saver in the long run, but it assures that everything is apportioned equally and appropriately for meals. No guesswork involved!

With things like chips and cheese puffs (Can't think of the last time I actually ate a cheese puff; though I did carry on a long addiction to corn puffs!), contrary to human body weight, the weight of the puffs is more important than the number. Try measuring several piles of your puffs. You'll probably notice that there are variable counts in each pile. Go by the weight, not the number. And, consider re-apportioning them into the sandwich bags and storing them somewhere (out of sight, preferably). You may be less tempted to go for the extra one or two or six or... if the whole bag is there in front of you.

Good luck in your journey to health and fitness.

Now... about the pix from your phone. Since I've never tried to post pix here - phone or computer-based - I'm afraid I cannot answer that one for you. But the techies at MFP are usually pretty quick to respond to questions and there is a FAQs link here as well, which I have found helpful. You may want to check that out. ;-)
  • Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My digital food scale is less accurate when the battery is dying, other than that I trust it.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Above the reply box there's a camera that you click on and it takes you to your album where you choose a pic from your album. Very simple;-)
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    1st, can you not post a pic on here from your phone? And second, i weighed 28 grams of cheese puffs..the label said about 13pcs..i have 31..and 25 grams. Like a full sandwich bag. Everything else i weigh seems normal..this is a lot. If it is true i am excited. Eat all the cheese puffs!

Hi
    I trust it, But I did verify it too.
    It is a digital scale that I put the Empty plate on then turn on and add the food. If I put 170 grams of Frozen Vegetables on it out of a 340 Gram bag, The remainder weighs 170 grams too so I believe it to be accurate. The worst are the Spring scales.

Use the weights and not piece counts as they can can be all over the place. When They filled that bag of cheese puffs they did it by weight not by piece count.

FWIW I also use a Balance beam scale for my weight measurements. I trust it to be consistent.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have a platform digital scale, i have never questioned it before, isually because it gives me an abysmal amount of cheese..so..
    Bowsergirl wrote: »
    My digital food scale is less accurate when the battery is dying, other than that I trust it.
    Bowsergirl wrote: »

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Above the reply box there's a camera that you click on and it takes you to your album where you choose a pic from your album. Very simple;-)

The app doesn't work. It doesn't update the main image. You have to go into the web version and do it.

Oh, I know but I was just saying how to do it if you want a pic in the body of your reply.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    1st, can you not post a pic on here from your phone? <<snip>>

If there is no option to add a photo from the MFP app on your phone, you are most likely using an Android phone. MFP has yet to figure out how to 1) upload photos in Community and 2) display avatars on the Lollipop Android operating system. For now, use your web browser on Android and "Request desktop site" to load the Web version of MFP on your phone. Personally, I have not tried that yet, but I imagine it should work.

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    a nickel is 5g use a nickel to test your scale. like the above poster stated even if you don't get the right weight, as long as its consistent.