Blood pressure, blood sugar, hormones, anemic??

I had lost 86lbs in total and was FINALLY feeling like my old self again. Then after my grandmother passed, I became less active and depressed. I didn't eat more, maybe just not as healthy. As soon as I start feeling like I'm able to get back into the world I started having these spells where I get so hungry feeling I feel if I don't eat I will pass out! It was mild and ignorable in the beginning but now if I don't drop everything and eat I break out in a sweat and feel like I'm going to throw up and pass out, I get so weak all I can do is eat and then lay down. Which is horrible to do and it's completely taken my life away. Because of it I have gained back 44lbs over the last 6 months. Could this be a blood sugar, blood pressure, iron, or hormone problem? If so, please help, tell me what I can do based on your experience. I'm planning to go see the doc, but I need to do something in the meantime.

Replies

• ariana_eatsandlifts
    ariana_eatsandlifts Posts: 197 Member
    I'm sorry for your loss.

When you get these spells, how many calories were you set to eat? Honestly, that's how I get when I'm not eating enough. But you should definitely see your doctor for medical clearance.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    This sounds like hypoglycemia, and something ive been dealing with my whole life. However if you arent a child drs no longer recognize it as a condition unless its related to diabetes. So my first suggestion is you need to go to a dr for a checkup and get your blood work done. My second suggestion which is what started to help my symptoms just recently is eat small calorie meals every 3-4 hours. So whatever amount of calories is your goal divide that into several meal through out the day and it should keep your sugar stable. I think what the issue is that our sugar jumps up when we eat too much at once and then our body quickly lowers it causing us to feel like we need to eat again. So these rollercoaster ups and downs effect our energy and causes those symptoms we feel.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Obviously see your doctor - do you have an appointment yet? In the meantime, keep track of what you've eaten before these incidents. It sounds like under eating but you've gained back 44 pounds so unless you're in restrict/binge cycles I'm not sure about that under eating.

When my anemia is untreated, I am weak, tired, grouchy, etc. My anemia is clearly related to the massive blood loss I experience with my period, but there are other forms of anemia that are much harder to pin point. I'm not recommending you start supplementing prior to getting blood work done, but you could alway up higher iron foods.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I'm gonna tell you what I did to help with my hypoglycemia like you describe. After you check with your doctor to make sure you don't have any real malnutrition or other issues, of course. If your doctor has suggestions, by all means, do what they say to do.

While not eating at a deficit or trying to lose weight, I did the form of daily fasting known as 16:8. Where you only eat within an 8 hour window each day and "fast" for the other 16 (consuming nearly no calories. Like, coffee with a little cream is ok but not a granola bar, too).

I did this for about 5 months. It SUCKED the first day, and I could only go 14 hours. Then the next day I did 15. Then the next day 16. Now I can go about 20 hours before "symptoms" occur. I mean, I'm "hungry" after 14 hours or so, but I'm not passing out and grumpy and seeing stars when I stand, either.

Now that I'm eating at a deficit, it's harder for me to go 16 hours without eating. But if I do happen to get stuck in a meeting now where I can't eat for 2-3 hours, I don't start fainting anymore. It's made a big difference in my life. My blood sugar is way more stable now (though I do typically avoid sugary foods these days to help prevent spikes).
  • purpleflux
    purpleflux Posts: 22 Member
    Yeah, that sounds like a hypo alright. I've had several in the past few weeks since starting losing weight because I'm diabetic and haven't got the hang of needing less insulin since being more active and eating better! They really suck and leave you feeling horrible and drained.

If you know what they are, it's possible to deal with them and still stay within your calorie budget. Ideally you follow the above advice, which is to eat healthily little and often so you just don't get them in the first place. It's also worth keeping an eye on the time, because you might find that there are certain times of the day you're prone to low blood sugar, so you can schedule a snack around then. Also make sure that you have a snack on hand for when you're exercising, because that can trigger it.

Sadly, sometimes you can't avoid having them. The trick is to not overeat in response to what your body is telling you. I used to just eat lots in response to a hypo because of the hunger pangs, so I'd have a coke, a couple of sandwiches and a couple of biscuits. That's just shocking and way over the top. What I actually need is about 20g of fast-acting carbs (so a sugary drink (I switched to 200ml orange juice but have emergency 150ml mini cokes just in case), glucose tablets, that kind of thing) followed by a about 20g of slow-acting carbs (so a slice of bread or a bananananana or a cereal bar). Now I just eat that, go and rest for a bit, and keep checking my sugars as necessary (as a non-diabetic, that part won't be anything you need to deal with).

Also, if you're getting the nasty sweats, I do find that after a bit of a rest until I'm steady on my feet, a shower or a bath improves my comfort levels and mood, so I feel better a bit quicker.

I hope you get something worked out and feel better!
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    @purpleflux Totally agree with what you said, I am not diabetic but had bad hypo as a child which continued into the rest of my life and every time I wouldn't feel good I would panic and eat a lot. I would try to compensate with something sweet or something high in carbs. But all I really needed was just something small. Eventually this led to my weight gain.

Once I lowered how many calories I eat in each meal but eating 3-4 hours, I feel like I have better control of my hypo. Now I get hungry but I don't feel like I need to eat ASAP or I will faint and sometimes can wait longer than the usual 4 hours.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    This sounds like hypoglycemia, and something ive been dealing with my whole life. However if you arent a child drs no longer recognize it as a condition unless its related to diabetes. So my first suggestion is you need to go to a dr for a checkup and get your blood work done. My second suggestion which is what started to help my symptoms just recently is eat small calorie meals every 3-4 hours. So whatever amount of calories is your goal divide that into several meal through out the day and it should keep your sugar stable. I think what the issue is that our sugar jumps up when we eat too much at once and then our body quickly lowers it causing us to feel like we need to eat again. So these rollercoaster ups and downs effect our energy and causes those symptoms we feel.

So well said, and that's my gut feeling about these incidents as well. OP you can be hypoglycemic, eat regularly, and still maintain or lose the weight. It all comes down to portioning and eating a balance of macros at your meals.

I suggest while you are waiting to see the doctor to get a pack of glucotabs that you will find on the shelf at the pharmacy with the diabetic supplies. They are sugar pills. If you feel faint, take a glucotab. If you are experiencing low blood sugar this will perk you up right away with a minimum of calories. Follow up with a tablespoon of hiker's mix for a steady stream of energy.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Well, it COULD be blood sugar, OR blood pressure. I suppose if you feel better after eating, then that argues blood sugar, but then, if you feel better after lying down quietly for a while, it could be blood pressure, and perhaps you are confusing the faintness with hunger. I'm really not sure about those other things. I believe anemia usually presents itself as a general sort of tiredness rather than fainting spells, but none of us can diagnose this from here. I do hope you go and have these things tested ASAP if this is happening regularly. That, and treating the underlying cause, are the only things that will really help.
  • lullukitten
    lullukitten Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you all! I am still going to see a doctor. It's so very helpful to know that this isn't just some weird thing happening to only me and to get suggestions on how to deal with it. It's different than what I've experienced before.
    I have a history of anemia, since I was a child. I could never seem to get my iron levels on track. However, once I got healthy and lost weight, everything leveled out for the first time in my life. I haven't had it checked in a while, so I do need to do that anyway.
    Also, before I gained the weight, I had hypotension (my blood pressure was low and would fluctuate). When I gained the weight the first time, my blood pressure spiked to dangerous levels. Even though I could definitely feel how it was affecting me and my energy levels, and pretty much everything else, it didn't feel quite this extreme as far as these attacks go. After I lost the weight, my blood pressure went to being low again. The reason I question blood pressure is because of how quickly it went up and then down again, before. Since I gained the weight waaay more quickly this time than last, I was curious if it could cause this if it changed much more quickly than last time, too. I don't know if anyone has experienced that and could tell me about it. (I do know the only way to find out for sure is by seeing a doctor and monitoring my blood pressure.)
    The thing about this that bothers me the most is how scary it feels. The extreme nausea, sweats, feeling like I'm going to puke but also feeling like if I don't eat I'm going to pass out or die (it gets pretty rough). The feeling of needing to eat isn't necessarily a rumbly, growling tummy feeling. And it's not just a craving type feeling, I'm usually so nauseated when this happens I'm afraid to eat. It's like my body is telling me it NEEDS food right then and there, totally out of the blue.
    I have always been the type that could go all day some days and not even get hungry. (The exception being before, but I think it had a lot to do with the medication I was on because although I wasn't eating as healthy as I was used to, I didn't really overeat as much as you'd think.) When my grandmother was in the hospital I stayed with her all night and sometimes days too. I pretty much lived off of energy drinks and bagels or other quick snacks. If I wasn't completely exhausted when I got home I would stay up and eat a good meal, wait a few hours, and go to bed. Most of the time I was totally drained from the day and didn't eat. When she passed, my diet and weight quickly changed cause I was no longer constantly going, unable to eat a proper meal. I kind of feel like I've sent my body into shock and it's really catching up to me. It's just not something I expected since I have never had this problem with this insane hunger. I questioned hormones also because of that. I know that I'm not as young as I used to be, my body probably isn't as able to bounce back from things as it once was.
    Is it possible for something like hypogylcemia (or any of these things) to hit you that hard within a matter of 4-6 months???
    I do take a multivitamin daily. I will definitely try all of the things recommended. I'm desperate to have a normal life again not centered around whether I'm going to pass out if this hits me unexpectedly. Thank you all again, so much!
  • lullukitten
    I know this isn't a medical forum, but I ask these things because I'm afraid of what's happening to my body and I don't want to gain more weight because of it and end up worse.
    The suggestions of when and how to eat to control blood sugar levels (and avoid this type of thing) are extremely helpful and something I will absolutely try even if the doctor tells me it's something totally random.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Your description still sounds like hypoglycaemia to me. Please do eat when you feel like that.

You can check your blood pressure yourself and multiple readings will give you a better idea. Pharmacies have BP machines you can try. Or you can pick up a home machine.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    It could be all kinds of things and we couldn't possibly figure out what your problem might be. You need a doctor.

Until you get to the doctor, make sure you're eating enough food and try to get lots of fruits and veggies into the mix.

When my mother was dying, I practically lived in the hospital and ate very little...all of it hospital food, which sucks, so it didn't encourage me to eat it, lol. When my father died, I couldn't even keep food down and had to take pills just to be able to not vomit up anything I swallowed. Some overeat when stressed, but I under eat. Stress affects everyone differently.

Cut yourself some slack while you grieve, but see the doctor to make sure you're staying healthy.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Sounds like hypoglycemia to me as well. I'd suggest you go to Walmart to get one of their models of blood glucose monitor. It's called Relion. It's cheapest - unless your doctor will write you a prescription and the insurance will cover it fully. Take your blood sugar very regularly. While you feel normal, before you eat, 30 min. after first bite, then every 30 min. afterwards to get an idea if your glucose is dropping dramatically. I'd recommend a 4 hour window to catch massive swings. Clinically they do 5 hour glucose tolerance testing. Also, I'd recommend getting some Drs' Best or Source Naturals SAM-e. It helps your liver, depression and joints. It doesn't crash you like going onto a anti-depressant. Have your thyroid levels, adrenals, iron levels checked. I'm speaking from experience. Feel free to email back. Best wishes!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    I've always had these spells. too. It may take a little while for the food to work (at least for me), so don't eat a ton because you still feel it a few minutes after eating, no. But mine are worse if I've had few calories that day, even if my blood sugar goes up with a snack, if that makes sense. So sometimes I have to eat more than a snack if I've only had coffee or something for many hours or the spells will just come back quickly.

Another odd thing: my sugar doesn't actually get that low. There's a number that's considered hypoglycemic and I never hit that. It's because my body was used to going high, I'm sure. Now that I've cut way back on simple carbs (because I am barely diabetic) the spells happen at lower and lower blood sugar levels. That means I don't have them as often! So I'd definitely recommend cutting back junk carbs to try to get your blood sugar more even overall.

And definitely go to CVS or similar and get your blood pressure checked. If it's really high, you need to know that and your doctor needs to give you a prescription ASAP. That's super important.
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    I've always had these spells. too. It may take a little while for the food to work (at least for me), so don't eat a ton because you still feel it a few minutes after eating, no. But mine are worse if I've had few calories that day, even if my blood sugar goes up with a snack, if that makes sense. So sometimes I have to eat more than a snack if I've only had coffee or something for many hours or the spells will just come back quickly.

Another odd thing: my sugar doesn't actually get that low. There's a number that's considered hypoglycemic and I never hit that. It's because my body was used to going high, I'm sure. Now that I've cut way back on simple carbs (because I am barely diabetic) the spells happen at lower and lower blood sugar levels. That means I don't have them as often! So I'd definitely recommend cutting back junk carbs to try to get your blood sugar more even overall.

And definitely go to CVS or similar and get your blood pressure checked. If it's really high, you need to know that and your doctor needs to give you a prescription ASAP. That's super important.

Wow same thing with me. Just interesting to see someone else describe the same problem. When I was little it would hit that hypoglycemic number and below it, it was really bad. Eventually the numbers became better and no longer hit the hypo number but I still till this day would feel the symptoms if I don't eat on time. When I am having the symptoms my sugar is still a lot below what my usual sugar is but it is not low enough to be hypoglycemic. I also had the same thing with snacking, if I haven't eaten a lot that day a snack would do nothing to help me with my symptoms.
    I also noticed when I drink coffee it makes the hypo symptoms even worse so I stopped drinking it. I tried reintroducing it many times but each time it is very obvious to me that they increase those symptoms.
    My theory is that something in my body just does not regulate sugar well or insulin. I am not diabetic but it does run in my family so I am assuming I am prone to it and have to be careful.
    As I posted before I only recently realized what helps is having low calorie meals every 3-4 hours, I still eat some carbs but I don't eat any bread, that seems to mess me up for the day as well. I make sure to eat healthy and regularly to prevent those swings.
  • LastingChanges
    phxteach wrote: »
    Sounds like hypoglycemia to me as well. I'd suggest you go to Walmart to get one of their models of blood glucose monitor. It's called Relion. It's cheapest - unless your doctor will write you a prescription and the insurance will cover it fully. Take your blood sugar very regularly. While you feel normal, before you eat, 30 min. after first bite, then every 30 min. afterwards to get an idea if your glucose is dropping dramatically. I'd recommend a 4 hour window to catch massive swings. Clinically they do 5 hour glucose tolerance testing. Also, I'd recommend getting some Drs' Best or Source Naturals SAM-e. It helps your liver, depression and joints. It doesn't crash you like going onto a anti-depressant. Have your thyroid levels, adrenals, iron levels checked. I'm speaking from experience. Feel free to email back. Best wishes!

Just wondering does walmart have strips to go with the glucose monitor? The strips are usually really expensive without an RX. I know someone that gets an RX but there is a limit and they always run out of them and too expensive to buy on their own.
  • LastingChanges
    Thank you all! I am still going to see a doctor. It's so very helpful to know that this isn't just some weird thing happening to only me and to get suggestions on how to deal with it. It's different than what I've experienced before.
    I have a history of anemia, since I was a child. I could never seem to get my iron levels on track. However, once I got healthy and lost weight, everything leveled out for the first time in my life. I haven't had it checked in a while, so I do need to do that anyway.
    Also, before I gained the weight, I had hypotension (my blood pressure was low and would fluctuate). When I gained the weight the first time, my blood pressure spiked to dangerous levels. Even though I could definitely feel how it was affecting me and my energy levels, and pretty much everything else, it didn't feel quite this extreme as far as these attacks go. After I lost the weight, my blood pressure went to being low again. The reason I question blood pressure is because of how quickly it went up and then down again, before. Since I gained the weight waaay more quickly this time than last, I was curious if it could cause this if it changed much more quickly than last time, too. I don't know if anyone has experienced that and could tell me about it. (I do know the only way to find out for sure is by seeing a doctor and monitoring my blood pressure.)
    The thing about this that bothers me the most is how scary it feels. The extreme nausea, sweats, feeling like I'm going to puke but also feeling like if I don't eat I'm going to pass out or die (it gets pretty rough). The feeling of needing to eat isn't necessarily a rumbly, growling tummy feeling. And it's not just a craving type feeling, I'm usually so nauseated when this happens I'm afraid to eat. It's like my body is telling me it NEEDS food right then and there, totally out of the blue.
    I have always been the type that could go all day some days and not even get hungry. (The exception being before, but I think it had a lot to do with the medication I was on because although I wasn't eating as healthy as I was used to, I didn't really overeat as much as you'd think.) When my grandmother was in the hospital I stayed with her all night and sometimes days too. I pretty much lived off of energy drinks and bagels or other quick snacks. If I wasn't completely exhausted when I got home I would stay up and eat a good meal, wait a few hours, and go to bed. Most of the time I was totally drained from the day and didn't eat. When she passed, my diet and weight quickly changed cause I was no longer constantly going, unable to eat a proper meal. I kind of feel like I've sent my body into shock and it's really catching up to me. It's just not something I expected since I have never had this problem with this insane hunger. I questioned hormones also because of that. I know that I'm not as young as I used to be, my body probably isn't as able to bounce back from things as it once was.
    Is it possible for something like hypogylcemia (or any of these things) to hit you that hard within a matter of 4-6 months???
    I do take a multivitamin daily. I will definitely try all of the things recommended. I'm desperate to have a normal life again not centered around whether I'm going to pass out if this hits me unexpectedly. Thank you all again, so much!

It does seem like most people with hypoglycemia usually have had it for long time but you never know. Some experience hypo when their diet is bad or they aren't eating enough. Also it could be associated with prediabetes or something similar. It could be iron, could be many things, even Dr won't be able to tell you until they look at blood test results. So book an appointment as soon as you can so you can get some answers.
    Also I believe when blood sugar drops it causes blood pressure to drop as well. Not sure if that is accurate but that is what I have noticed with myself.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    It shows $9 for 50 test strips. I think I got the meter and 100 strips for $23 the other day, since I was testing more than "allowed" by insurance. This was the cash, non insurance price and you do not have to have a prescription... but that may vary state by state.
  • lullukitten
    It shows $9 for 50 test strips. I think I got the meter and 100 strips for $23 the other day, since I was testing more than "allowed" by insurance. This was the cash, non insurance price and you do not have to have a prescription... but that may vary state by state.

My father went and purchased a blood sugar monitor for me, but didn't know it didn't come with the strips. I will have to go and buy some. Thank you for the info on prices and everything.

I have asked to borrow his bp monitor, I'll probably have to go and find it myself. Lol

I've been ill the past few days. So very tired, headaches. Just feeling drained. I've had about enough of this and I will probably end up going to an urgent care clinic if it takes much longer to get in with my doctor. I had to take a trip and didn't have time to eat before I left, so I brought some crackers and a soda and slowly munched on that as I drove. I was fine for about 2 hours, then on the ride home (not doing anything but sitting, driving) I started feeling dizzy and faint. That really scared me. I mean if it can hit me that hard when I'm practically doing nothing, especially driving... That's scary!

To get back to the diet part of this forum (lol), are there any more quick and easy, healthy, snacks that will help with this problem, provide the nutrients needed, and also prevent weight gain, that you guys can share? I still don't know quite what to eat and what not to eat. I have done some research, but I'm still a little lost. I don't have a lot of time to cook and I share a kitchen, so I can't spend a lot on groceries (because they usually get eaten before I can prepare anything, even if I write my name on it). Anything quick and simple is incredibly appreciated!
    Thanks guys, you all have been so kind and helpful. Most of the pages I tried to do research on, the people were so rude in their answers to others! I couldn't believe how rude people could be to someone just reaching out for help!
    So thank you again. <3
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015

This will help my family member a lot, thanks for mentioning it. She always reaches her insurance limits and the testing strips for her machine are like $100+ for a pack without insurance. This is so much cheaper than other companies. Would be good to have this as a back up. Will probably get it for myself too.