Recomp and exercise cals?

Do you eat back exercise calories when recomping? If so, I don't know how I'm ever going to eat that much food!

Replies

• mandybcook
    mandybcook Posts: 3 Member
    Also, I'm just switching to maintenance/recomp now. Anybody have negative results from diving right on? Do I need to slowly ramp up on calories or can I switch immediately?
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    I'm not 100% sure and there are people
    On here who can certainly give you the correct answers but as far as I'm aware I think if you use TDEE you don't need to eat exercise calories back but if you use MFP you need to and I'm sure you just slowly up your calories say by 100 and just keep an eye on your weight I'm going up to maintenace and I've been adding 100 each week due to add another 100 beginning of next week .. Hope this helped a little
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Yes you should eat back exercise calories. Otherwise you are still creating a defecit through exercise.
    Perhaps look into the TDEE method, where you spread exercise calories out over the week.

Yes you can immediately increase, but you will most likely see a bump in your weight. This is glycocen stores being replenished, holding on to more water and the larger volume of food that will be in your digestive track. This could be a couple lbs, so don't freak out if it happens.
    Slowly increasing will diminish this effect.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    mandybcook wrote: »
    Do you eat back exercise calories when recomping? If so, I don't know how I'm ever going to eat that much food!
    Of course you have to account for your exercise.
    Whether you are doing TDEE or MFP methods if you are maintaining your weight you must be eating your exercise calories.

You must have eaten more than maintenance calories to become overweight so why is it a problem now to "eat that much food" when it's less than you ate before?

Slow increase or straight to maintenance is personal preference, there's no wrong or right. Whatever you do you might have to fine tune anyway.
  • mandybcook
    mandybcook Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2015

"You must have eaten more than maintenance calories to become overweight so why is it a problem now to "eat that much food" when it's less than you ate before?"

^ That is said with the assumption that I was working out previously like I am now. Not the case.

Also, it's intimidating to go from a deficit number of 1,200 cals for almost a year to 1,920 on lift days. Especially when I thought of eating back exercise. So I just wanted to double check before committing to the number.

Thanks for the clarification folks!