Leg Day | Squat Video | Rehab

Options
sscarmack
sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Been really hitting legs lately, in the process I think I either pinched a nerve or caused a little tension on a disc in my lower back...So lately I've been focusing on perfecting my form and making sure not to hurt anything.

And as you can tell, my gym doesn't have your typical squat rack, or power rack, extremely disappointing. But I have access to a new gym that has much better equipment.

Went to the chiropractor twice, and it seems to be helping. I also purchased a lifting belt, and I won't be using that "squat rack" anymore for any heavy weight.

I make sure to stretch, warm up, start with light weight, and slowly increase. Never once maxed out on squats, so before someone jumps in and says you should be lifting so heavy. I don't. The most I've ever squatted was around 225 and I did that for an 'easy' 8-10 reps. Not exactly sure how I tweaked my lower back. But I'm almost recovered up and slowly graining strength back there without it bothering me.

Burned out with 135lbs x15 reps for a total of three sets.

Legs also included dumbbell squats, leg extensions, DB Lunges, and countless calf raises and knee tucks.

If you have any pointers on my form please let me know.

Footage is recorded on the Go Pro Hero 4 Black Edition 4k @ 30fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFDpOUlzoKU

Replies

• sscarmack
    Options
    Just want to bump this back up for those that missed it.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I've been keeping an eye on this thread just to see responses. I'm not a pro at squats, so I don't know if I can offer anything substantial, but what I see is that: 1) you seem to be squatting at a pretty rapid rate; and 2) it looks like your back is losing its neutrality as you go down; it looks like it rounds at the bottom.

Can't see if your knees track over your feet; it looks like they do.

And you're doing a lot of reps in one set. I would think you might see more progression if you do fewer reps and add more weight, rather than lots of reps with less weight.

My 2 cents and maybe bumping this again for you.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My first observation is that you are not "locking out" , or completely extending the hips at the top of your squat. You can squeeze a little bit more out of the movement and really maximize the work by doing this.

Second....you're totally rushing the movement! You can't "know" when you get it <form> right unless you are taking the time to feel and see what your body is doing.....take your time.

Third....your heels are lifting a bit at the bottom of your squat.

Fourth....and this is a biggie...it's kind of hard to tell because of your hoodie, but it really looks like you are rounding a bit in your lower thoracic spine area.....my guess is that you are tight in the hip flexors,Which leads to a small pelvic tilt which can cause this rounding in the back. It also seems to be the point that you may begin to pronate in your feet at this point in the lift <can't see fully from a side angle>, and lifting the heels.

I would start with making sure that you are warmed up, stretching your hip flexors, dorsi flexors <feet> and lumbar region of your spine before and after workouts.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    sscarmack wrote: »

what makes you think we missed it?

isn't this the same OP that posted the advice thread last week showing that he does 68 sets and 642 reps for each muscle group?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

isn't this the same OP that posted the advice thread last week showing that he does 68 sets and 642 reps for each muscle group?

Yeah but do you have any idea how he might have tweaked his back? Because I can't think of a reason.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

gopro_logo.png
    This injury, brought to you by, GoPro©, Be a Hero!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    conniedj wrote: »
    My first observation is that you are not "locking out" , or completely extending the hips at the top of your squat. You can squeeze a little bit more out of the movement and really maximize the work by doing this.

Second....you're totally rushing the movement! You can't "know" when you get it <form> right unless you are taking the time to feel and see what your body is doing.....take your time.

Fourth....and this is a biggie...it's kind of hard to tell because of your hoodie, but it really looks like you are rounding a bit in your lower thoracic spine area.....my guess is that you are tight in the hip flexors,Which leads to a small pelvic tilt which can cause this rounding in the back. It also seems to be the point that you may begin to pronate in your feet at this point in the lift <can't see fully from a side angle>, and lifting the heels.

I would start with making sure that you are warmed up, stretching your hip flexors, dorsi flexors <feet> and lumbar region of your spine before and after workouts.

This is some great observation. But based on other posts, I'd recommend finding a trainer and working with a trainer until you know what you are doing well enough to program on your own. You definitely need someone to guide you in your form.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

Yeah but do you have any idea how he might have tweaked his back? Because I can't think of a reason.

Me neither.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Me neither.

I know I'm stumped :indifferent:
  • sscarmack
    edited October 2015
    Options

Look I'm seeking advice on my squat, never once did I claim to be a professional or know it all and if you're just going to be a dbag just stay out of my threads. Mmmkay pumpkin.

Your sarcasm is noted...and for the record my back had nothing to do with working out, it was from playing paintball and I jumped over a 4ft wall and tweaked it. Hasn't been the same since, and obviously it hurts when I squat.
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

gopro_logo.png
    This injury, brought to you by, GoPro©, Be a Hero!

Another wonderful helpful post. Clever.
    I've been keeping an eye on this thread just to see responses. I'm not a pro at squats, so I don't know if I can offer anything substantial, but what I see is that: 1) you seem to be squatting at a pretty rapid rate; and 2) it looks like your back is losing its neutrality as you go down; it looks like it rounds at the bottom.

Can't see if your knees track over your feet; it looks like they do.

And you're doing a lot of reps in one set. I would think you might see more progression if you do fewer reps and add more weight, rather than lots of reps with less weight.

My 2 cents and maybe bumping this again for you.

Finally someone who can actually bring something intelligent to the conversation. I appreciate the response.

Locking out. Slow down. Feet planted. Pelvic tilt. Stretches.

Got it, thats great advice and I will definitely pay more attention next time.
  • conniedj
    Options

This is some great observation. But based on other posts, I'd recommend finding a trainer and working with a trainer until you know what you are doing well enough to program on your own. You definitely need someone to guide you in your form.

As a trainer, I totally agree. Working with a person that knows their form and function is the best bet, if you can afford it--the op would benefit from one or 2 sessions.

And FWIW.....I rarely post in the forums, so if there is drama attached to this OP, I'm not sure. He asked for comments on form, which is what I gave.

• conniedj
    Options
    Again, dunno the history....but anyone with 30k posts.....what the what? How do you train for that kind of posting???? Lots of wrist circles to avoid carpal tunnel??? lol.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

Nice. Yeah I pretty much agree with this as well.

1. This isn't CrossFit, don't rush through your squats. Sit back into it, extend up into full hip extension, suck-in some air, repeat, you don't have to rush through like that.

2. I does look like your weight is shifting forward a little bit which is going to force your quads to work more than they should and compensate for the lack of gluteal activation during the concentric. This could be causing some unnecessary lumbar extension for you.

3. Agree with the stretching for sure

4. More on your feet. Not only does it look like your weight is shifting forward, your feet appear to have more outward rotation than they should. You mention you do a lot of calf raises, I would relax on these for a while and work on ankle mobility as conniedj mentioned. The tibialis and exterior portion of your calf can cause this to happen while you walk and definitely while you squat. If you're going to do calf raises, for now I would try and angle your feet to only work the inside / medial section of your calves.

5. Starting. This is a little knit-picky on my side but when you address the bar and get under it, get under as if when you stand-up, the rack is getting pulled away and you have to squat. While 135 you can get under and just unrack it casually, at some point this won't work well at all. Get under it in a position to squat, unrack, take a couple short steps back, just enough to clear the j-hooks; save your energy to squat not walking the bar.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Nice. Yeah I pretty much agree with this as well.

1. This isn't CrossFit, don't rush through your squats. Sit back into it, extend up into full hip extension, suck-in some air, repeat, you don't have to rush through like that.

2. I does look like your weight is shifting forward a little bit which is going to force your quads to work more than they should and compensate for the lack of gluteal activation during the concentric. This could be causing some unnecessary lumbar extension for you.

3. Agree with the stretching for sure

4. More on your feet. Not only does it look like your weight is shifting forward, your feet appear to have more outward rotation than they should. You mention you do a lot of calf raises, I would relax on these for a while and work on ankle mobility as conniedj mentioned. The tibialis and exterior portion of your calf can cause this to happen while you walk and definitely while you squat. If you're going to do calf raises, for now I would try and angle your feet to only work the inside / medial section of your calves.

5. Starting. This is a little knit-picky on my side but when you address the bar and get under it, get under as if when you stand-up, the rack is getting pulled away and you have to squat. While 135 you can get under and just unrack it casually, at some point this won't work well at all. Get under it in a position to squat, unrack, take a couple short steps back, just enough to clear the j-hooks; save your energy to squat not walking the bar.

Thank you Sam...Again, great advice.....And thats why I wanted to start recording myself, sometimes its so hard to see what were doing, so by recording it, we get different angles and yeah...So I appreciate your response, solid advice :)
  • DavPul
    Options
    Again, dunno the history....but anyone with 30k posts.....what the what? How do you train for that kind of posting???? Lots of wrist circles to avoid carpal tunnel??? lol.

I don't understand? Is post count shaming a thing?
  • sjohnny
    Options

And is 30k good.....or bad?

• DavPul
    Options

Look I'm seeking advice on my squat, never once did I claim to be a professional or know it all and if you're just going to be a dbag just stay out of my threads. Mmmkay pumpkin.

Your sarcasm is noted...and for the record my back had nothing to do with working out, it was from playing paintball and I jumped over a 4ft wall and tweaked it. Hasn't been the same since, and obviously it hurts when I squat.

Oh, you didn't want to talk about reasons you might be injured? My bad, I must have totally misread the first paragraph of your OP. But I'm also confused as to why the "squat rack" might be the cause of your excuses poor form/injury? I'm just slow, I guess.

Thanks for the invitation to not post on public forums. But just because you don't claim to be a professional doesn't mean you don't get criticized when you post a Do Like Me routine on the boards that doesn't make sense for most people to do.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

So we shouldn't be using this site and participating in the community (both public and group threads - especially those that may be doing challenges or such)? Well. How nice.
  • sjohnny
    Options

TIL: playing paintball and jumping over small walls = "really hitting the legs"
    Been really hitting legs lately, in the process I think I either pinched a nerve or caused a little tension on a disc in my lower back.
  • DavPul
    Options

And is 30k good.....or bad?

The number 30 can go either way. It really depends on if we're talking about the fps on a Go Pro Hero 4 Black Edition 4k or not.