Shopping for One

Options
I tried using the search to look for previous threads on this subject, but I couldnt find anything. So decided to make a new one!

So. Since starting using MFP I have been eating more fruits and vegetables. However, that stuff is expensive!
I try to shop for two or three days at a time, but I suck at it. Either I buy stuff I dont want to eat the next day, or I'll eat everything day one. I am a terrible planner, and I usually give up, before I have planned even two days worth of food.
I try to look for special offers and stuff on sale, but I suck at that too. Everything is in big packs and way too much for one person. I dont have a freezer, so I cant freeze any leftovers.

I guess I am looking for any advice on saving some money when shopping food for one and how to 'stretch' my foods. Tips on how I can avoid eating everything the first day would be appreciated too :blushing:

Sorry for posting lame subject, but.... :sad:

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    no freezer? :( sadness!

I shop for 2, but in the same thought as shopping for one many days because my guy doesn't seem to enjoy the snacks I bring home as much as I do :P

After work I make a list, what do I want to eat right now, what do I need to make a meal later (dinner), what should I have for breakfast tomorrow, and what kind of snacks do I need to get me through the night and work day tomorrow?

Usually this is about 10 dollars worth of stuff, not that bad at all. I will buy 2-4 pieces of fruit, maybe a bag of steamable veggies, and a small package of chicken breast or beef. I will eat a fruit on the way home, make some veggies and meat for dinner. I will eat eggs and cheese for breakfast (I don't buy these every day since they come in bigger packages) then have fruits during the day. I can also have a peanut butter sandwich (also not something I buy every day) then it is after work and I will go shopping again and repeat the process.

Bigger thinking helps me shop for 2 or 3 days at a time. It takes practice. I'm not sure why you think it is expensive, I have saved loads of money since I started eating better. The frozen foods and 'ready made' packages are really costly, and I don't buy any of them anymore.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Hon - I'm in the same boat...
    I get about 3 days worth of greens and fruits purchased because I"ll eat them throughout those days or they start to go bad...

I'm going to watch this post as well :)
  • OntheShrink
    OntheShrink Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First things first.... Watch this Video and stop self deprecating. http://youtu.be/xwrnSTX4Z48

Second, start looking for recipes you'd like to try and then plan your shopping with those recipes. If your cooking for yourself then cut the recipee portions in half, that way you'll have some for dinner and lunch the next day or two lunches in a row. Third, buy the big containers of the things you'll eat the most and fill in shopping with the other stuff.

Last but not least!!! Congradulations on your 8lb succuss, you must be doing something right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    I live alone and am also 23. Shopping for one can be hard, especially without a freezer. To avoid eating everything in one day, try buying more foods which require some preparation. Think raw meats, tofu, rice instead of canned soups, nuts, cheese, fruits. I also only buy a couple days worth of groceries at a time (I bike or walk to the store, so I can't buy too much).

Rice is cheap, can be kept in the fridge once cooked, and must be cooked before eating so it's hard to binge or eat it all in one day. I also really like eggs - they're cheap and versatile but not something I'd ever binge on. One of my favorite recipes right now is onions, eggs, and spinach. I add spinach and onion to a lot of dishes (garlic, too). The onion and garlic are cheap and add lots of flavor. Spinach is super low calorie, but packed with nutrients.

I also like buying carrots and bananas (both cheap!)...there are lots of fruits and veggies out there which are reasonably price. Since it's summer my local store has had great deals on mangoes and strawberries, too. I just plan to spend a little more time at the market to search around for good deals and carefully consider what I'm buying. I find I binge less if I really think about what I'm buying, how much I'll need, when I'll eat it, etc.

Hope this helps and feel free to add me as a friend!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I buy for one as well and I do agree that it sucks (I also have no freezer which is a pain in the backside). For me, I have access to a really good (and really cheap) fresh fruit and veg stall three days a week. I stock up on all the fruit and veg I need from there and only buy extras if I have a real craving.

I generally go to the supermarket after I get done with the gym and that is usually between 19:30 and 20:00. My local supermarket shuts at 20:00 so I'm often pretty lucky at picking up deals on meat and fish. I would also recommend using your local butcher. Although the meat is more expensive if you're buying in bulk, I often find it works out MUCH cheaper for me as I'll buy just what I need for two or three meals at a go - plus the quality is way better than in the supermarket. I used to do the same with our local fishmongers but sadly they closed and I'm too lazy to get up in time for the Saturday market!

Other tips - I do buy cheaper cuts of meat - chicken wings or thighs instead of breast for example. I'll then bake or grill them all in one go and they last just fine for three days in the fridge. Similarly, I will buy offcuts of beef and make a casserole. Given 90 minutes in stock and another 30 mins with stock and veggies, the casserole tastes fantastic! I also have to confess to liking things like black pudding and haggis but they're not compatible with a diet on a daily basis despite being low in price so I haven't really used them a whole lot since I've been on the diet!
  • Vendetta2300
    Options
    I'm not sure why you think it is expensive, I have saved loads of money since I started eating better. The frozen foods and 'ready made' packages are really costly, and I don't buy any of them anymore.

Well, if I buy, let's say a pack of grapes, a pack of strawberries and a mango (as I did today) that is 10 dollars right there. And that is just snacks for one day. Food is very expensive in my country and I am on a very tight student budget. And I cant freeze anything, so that makes everything further complicated.

Maybe I just dont how much money everyone else spend on food, but I find it very hard to cut back on my budget, while a lot of my friends only spend half of what I spend on food every month. What do they eat, damnit!? :laugh:
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Produce bags (I think they are called green bags) are a lifesaver. You put your fruit and veggies in them and they stay fresher for up to 3 x longer. And they are reusable! I bought 2 packs of them over a year ago at the dollar store for $4 and I am still using them.
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    From what I remember of my (long past!) student days, shopping on a budget is hard. Do you have any markets nearby? You can usually get fruit/veg cheaper from them. Seasonal stock is also better as it doesn't have to be shipped half way round the planet.

Given you don't have a freezer & you're not great at planning (yet!), maybe the best thing is to just sit down with your budget and work out how much per day you've got for food, then plan your day's food around what that will buy. That way you're not trying to buy for multiple days at a time when you've got limited storage options.

From a healthy snacking perspective, seeds (sunflower/pumpkin) are good & don't need refrigerating or freezing.

I shop for just me & I'm only at home Thurs eve to Monday early am at the moment, so I tend to go shopping Friday morning to get enough to cover me to Sunday & I think through what I'm going to eat each day.

Oh - another thought! For fruit, what about apples/oranges/banana's - they don't usually go off so quickly.

Hope that helps a bit :)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you think it is expensive, I have saved loads of money since I started eating better. The frozen foods and 'ready made' packages are really costly, and I don't buy any of them anymore.

Well, if I buy, let's say a pack of grapes, a pack of strawberries and a mango (as I did today) that is 10 dollars right there. And that is just snacks for one day. Food is very expensive in my country and I am on a very tight student budget.

Near me, those 3 fruits are quite expensive. I steer clear of them even though I enjoy them! I stick to pears, oranges, and bananas.