So who's a pizza patter?

Options
Yes i do pat down the grease and oil on top of my pizza with a paper towel...does anyone else do this and know if this helps reduce cals or fat??? Might be dumb question lol...

Replies

• jackiemomx2
    jackiemomx2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do it! I don't know the exact number of fat or calories though. Every one counts, right,?
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I do this!! My boyfriend makes fun of me for it (because it usually takes some cheese too) but I can't stand the 2 cups of grease that shows up on my pizza! I've **heard** (not confirmed, I'm not a dietitian or a pizza psychic) that it can cut as much as 50 calories.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Since the paper towel is loaded with grimey oil and disgusting grease, yes, absolutely it reduces SOMETHING. I'm not going to measure the grams of oil in my paper towel afterwards and try the math approach. I just enter in my pizza as it is, then pat it down, then eat it up. Just be able to fit a full grease slice into your day, and know in your mind that you ate just a few less calories than that.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I do it when I remember. DOn't know how much it saves, but it has to help. So much oil comes off on the napkin.
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    OMG! I HAVE to do this every pizza.. of course only the gross greasy pizza. Not my homemade pizza isn't like that. I usually run through 2-3 of those little napkins trying to dap the grease off.
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've started eating nothing but veggie pizza, so I don't do that even though I should.

Now I want to eat Pizza! Thanks! LOL!!
  • maria1993
    maria1993 Posts: 112
    Options
    <
    GUILTY
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am guilty of being a pizza patter!!! I pat and pat and keep changing out napkins, til I get one that shows no grease!!! I do this with other foods as well. If they have an oily sheen, I start dabbing!!!....LOL
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    When I choose to eat pizza it's a calculated cheat- and I want every greasy bit of it!!! So no, I don't!
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It's so funny everyone makes fun of me for doing it but i just don't even like the texture of grease in my mouth and i like everything dried and well done. I'm glad im not the only one! Makes me feel better haha
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Food Detectives did a segment on the show about this. It didn't really save a lot of calories or fat in the short term. But if you blotted every single piece of x number of pieces over the course of a year you could save a fair chunk. But they said that it's mostly worthwhile on really cheap pizza that uses crappy cheese that separates when it heats. Good cheese won't do it as much. And most often, you're blotting away plain ole moisture that forms on the top of the pizza and it's not just all grease.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I had some leftovers from an italian restaurant the other day...the sauce had been cheesy and nice at the restaurant, but when I reheated it, the olive oil separated out. I absorbed away three full size paper towels worth of oil. I'm SURE it cut down on the calorie count.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I do this...but since it's likely I'll eat 6 slices of pizza, wtf does it matter at that point? :embarassed:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I usually only notice a lot of grease when it's a pepperoni pizza and I assume it's cheap pepperoni if it's so greasy. Didn't think that it could be cheap cheese. I'm definitely a patter when there is grease because it's just disgusting. Every little bit counts, even if I don't necessarily include or exclude it in my diary. Besides, I don't want it dripping down onto my clothes, either.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    My moms does.....I hated it and still do. Jacks up all the cheese.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I do it because all that grease will make me end up on the john all night.....my stomach is sensative to grease overload like that....sometimes i even take the pepperoni off too if its really fat
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Ha! I've been doing that for at least 30 years now. No good reason to eat the extra oil. My kids do it too.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I never pat away the best part of the pizza.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    No way. Healthy pizza taste like crap ;) Leave that Pepperoni grease right where it lays ;).
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. The cheesier and greasier that pizza is the better! I figure if I'm going to indulge, I might as well do it correctly!