Menstrual Cramps

Options
Every time I start my monthly cycle, I'd end up with really bad cramps in my stomach that last 3-4 days. All I want to do for the whole day is lie down in my bed, which is not a problem since I'm on break right now, but that's beside the point. I'm supposed to work out today, but the discomfort in my stomach is preventing me from doing so.

Does anyone know any home remedies that might help?

Replies

• lesliefm
    lesliefm Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen and a heating pad.
  • SkrillexFan
    Options
    Warm a filled water bottle in the microwave until its hot to the touch, then hole it to your stomach where you feel the cramps (: alternatively, you could use a heated pad. By the way, I find that pamprin works much faster than midol.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    If you can get yourself to do so, mild exercise has actually been shown to help reduce cramps. Maybe a walk around the block instead of a trip to the gym. But it depends on if you're actually able to uncurl and do it :wink:

I agree with ibuprofin and heating pads. Or midol. (Or even ibuprofin and a coke ... the caffeine seems to help).
  • fireyes
    fireyes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Heat. When I start cramping up I grab my heating pad and take a nap with it on a lowish setting. Usually when I wake up I'm fine, or at least better.

Sorry you're having to go through this. Cramps are the worst.
  • moPOETRYtion
    Options
    Agree with the poster who said exercise can help...it works for me. Once I get going it's amazing how much better I feel.
  • RozeGod
    RozeGod Posts: 118
    Options
    I am going through the same thing - I find Valerian Root tea, Ibuprophin and baths really help. Dont be too hard on yourself at this time - it can be very painful I know. Hang tough - it will be over in a few days!
  • meeshu1976
    meeshu1976 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I heard that working out works, but I don't know. I would do the heating pad thing. I use Pamprin. It's the best! I'm always fully stocked on that stuff.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Lay on your back, elevate your butt and legs. Get the pressure of the flow heading the other way for about a half hour.
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I just finished my workout and the cramps subsided-
    But thank you all for the suggestions. I'll try the heating pad when it comes back.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    When I used to get cramps before getting on BC, as weird as it sounds, i would have my big fluffy cat sleep on my tummy. Her warm, fuzzy goodness made my uterus calm down. :(