Success stories?

Options
Hi

I'm new to this app and liking the ease of it so far, I want to know other people's stories, how long they've used the app for and how much they've lost, and why this method may work better than other ways? Just curious as to whether this will actually work! Thanks, Anna

Replies

• PaulBonham
    PaulBonham Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for 3 - 4 weeks and along with increasing my exercise I've lost 8lbs.

Use some other apps to log your exercise (map my walk etc.), these can link up and give you credit against your food diary. So if you are going out for a big meal, you know what you need to do to offset it.

Mainly for me it has been understanding how all the calories quickly add up, cutting out the odd snack here and there makes a massive difference.

Best of luck!
  • CactusFlower527
    CactusFlower527 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been using the app for 8 weeks and I've lost about 16 lbs - which translates to about 2 lbs a week. I use MFP in conjunction with a Fitbit to track activity/steps. If you are serious about making a change, yes it works great :)
  • MaliRadojica
    MaliRadojica Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi I am using MFP for about 7 months seriously. This helped to me to have knowledge how menu calories has food that I used to eat. Example: when I eat fried potatoes I saw their calories, and with that food I can also eat mashed potatoes- which is much better. Also o have two kids. Often, I took and eat some candy bar that they left on the table opened. When I realized that I have to swim 30 minutes to burn that - I am not doing it anymore.
  • ApolakiKali
    ApolakiKali Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    annamj2000 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm new to this app and liking the ease of it so far, I want to know other people's stories, how long they've used the app for and how much they've lost, and why this method may work better than other ways? Just curious as to whether this will actually work! Thanks, Anna

Hello. I've been using the MFP app for 64 days and have lost 38 lbs total in that time. Before August 12th, I had only lost 23 lbs from the the 1st of January. 23 lbs lost in a little over 7 months versus 64 days is night and day. For the better part of the first half of the year, I stayed fairly active, training in the martial arts a couple times a week, but the results were at a snails pace and I thought i was eating properly so the problem must be not enough exercise or some other reason, right?

...and then I started using the app as a way to be more honest with myself.

Within the first week, I realized how poorly i was eating. Sure I was eating healthier choices, but the portions were too large, too much sugar, carbs, everything. It took nearly 2 weeks to get things in line, another couple more weeks to get used to the new eating habits I was creating, and now, I can tell you I feel excellent, even when you consider that I still weigh 317.0 lbs and eating an average of 1500 or so calories per day.

With that said, MFP is only part of the equation. I've enlisted the help of a very small circle of loved one's to act as my sponsors much like how those who are members of Alcoholics Anonymous have. They are there for me to talk about my choices. I am 100% transparent with them including my failures and feelings about this journey. In addition, I have added a fairly consistent exercise schedule to my life now which includes strength training, cardio, and martial arts. Part of what drives me to better is my discovering how much I love to train. It's my why factor, but to do all that meant I had to make changes to how I lived my life beyond just the foods I eat, but as the weight falls off, as I watch my body transform, and as I feel more in control, I only become more encouraged to do and be better every day.
  • adaperez926
    adaperez926 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this and I have problems understanding wher to chart what I east and finding out the calories. I need help thanks so much!
  • hiphop10
    hiphop10 Posts: 135 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi yes Mfp..is a great way to monitor what you eat and get great support. I have been here now a year!
    Mfp...makes me aware what foods I'm eating. In the beginning I just monitored all what I ate and I was so shocked at all the senseless foods I was consuming. Finally I got on track and MFP told me how many calories I needed per day and I work out as well..I have lost 55 lbs I am at my goal weight now. Now I'm on the maintence program. Counting calories and working out. I need to tighten up my muscles now