Bulking round 2 - Picking a program (open thread of my second bulk)

Options
sjohnson__1
sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
My first attempt at a bulk was a success, though I must admit, a little bit "dirty". I put on 24lbs in about 20 weeks, but started at a higher than optimal bf%. This year's much different after a long cut and bf% at or around 11%. That said, last year I was torn between strength building and size building (muscle hypertrophy), and ultimately chose strength. That *kitten* was fun!! I'm still torn on what routine to pick, so I'll post and update everything once it's all set. Looking to build size this time around. Strength is something I think I can work in also, but probably not as important to me ATM. Those of you who choose to check back on this thread, feel free to ask questions or make suggestions! (That's why I'm sharing).

If you have any advice as far as what kind of routine you would pick, feel free to chime in! I'm thinking a combination of 5/3/1 with hypertrophy training is what I'll most likely pick, but I'm always open for discussion.

Been a while since I've been in the threads, so "hello" to all of you who I used to interact w/!

Current stats
Currently I'm reversing out of my cut that ended at the beginning of September. I've very slowly been increasing cals, finally up to 2550 kcals/day from around 2220 at the end of my cut. That being said, my training has taken a back seat to weddings, a trip to vegas, and college football tailgates & NFL (football in general) have changed my dedication to logging on the weekends. I'm up from 163 (Sept 1) to 169.5 (Oct 15). I know I'm not at maintenance at 2550 kcals yet, I've just gone a little off the wagon (hence the weight gain), so I'll continue to add calories each week slowly until I hit about 2800 where I'll reevaluate and add cals until i'm gaining about 1 lb every 2 weeks.

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Eric Helms put a nice video up on this very topic. Very enlightening IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTDapcklnV8
  • sjohnson__1
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @Mycophilia

Much appreciated! Never thought of it this way.
  • FeelStrongBeStrong
    Options
    5/3/1 looks like a good routine. I'm on my second cycle now and am planning to stick with it long term. I've heard good things about Candito's 6 week strength training program too. Even though it's a strength building routine, I think you can add in hypertrophy / bodybuilding style accessory work.
  • sjohnson__1
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @morestrength I've had good success with 531 before. I have a split I'll have to post, that I've been planning to run for at least the next 8 weeks, maybe 12. it includes a little 531 work with hypertrophy.

BUT, i was just introduced to German Volume Training... anyone familiar with it? good results?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    In to follow.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you like the combination of strength and hypertrophy, is PHAT something you'd be interested in?
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've ran GVT once and enjoyed it but its tough. Start off light so you can have the stamina to finish all 10 sets. After the leg session, you wont walk right for days.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Awesome Shane - glad to see you're back! I look forward to following your bulk.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to bring some GVT in alongside PHUL to try to gain some size on my glutes, quads and hamstrings this bulk cycle. I'll keep you posted. And interested to hear other peoples thoughts too.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Gains in strength & size with GVT.. The size thing was accidental.. Stopped tracking, can't run and ate all the food lol.
  • FeelStrongBeStrong
    Options
    @morestrength I've had good success with 531 before. I have a split I'll have to post, that I've been planning to run for at least the next 8 weeks, maybe 12. it includes a little 531 work with hypertrophy.

BUT, i was just introduced to German Volume Training... anyone familiar with it? good results?

Post up your split, would be interested to see. I'm running it as an upper / lower split with FSL volume work on main lifts (except deadlifts). It feels like a good balance so far, but I think eventually the FSL sets will need to become a 1 x AMRAP set, but I'll keep pushing and see what happens, week 3 they are a killer.

Mon:
    military press 5/3/1 + FSL 3x8
    weighted pull-ups 5x5
    bench press 5x5 @ 80% TM
    t-bar rows 5x5
    (optional: bipceps / triceps)

Tue:
    deadlift 5/3/1
    squat 5x5 @ 80% TM
    (optional: hamstrings / calves)

Thu:
    bench press 5/3/1 + FSL 3x8
    barbell rows 5x5
    military press 5x5 @ 80% TM
    weighted pull-ups 5x5
    (optional: biceps / triceps)

Fri:
    squat 5/3/1 + FSL 3x8
    deadlift 5x3 @ 80% TM
    (optional: hamstrings / calves)
  • sjohnson__1
    edited October 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    If you like the combination of strength and hypertrophy, is PHAT something you'd be interested in?

yeah, I've ran PHAT before and loved it. I'd like to experiment a bit though...
  • sjohnson__1
    Options
    I'm thinking GVT is the way to go for the next 10 weeks while I'm slowly ramping up the calories. I'll re-evaluate the week after Christmas (planned deload week) but might switch to a 531/PPL split for the bulk.

@morestrength the 531/ppl split will look something like this:

DAY 1- Push Day: *Hypertrophy* (drop set on all final sets)
    Incline BB Bench Press, 3 Sets, 8-12 reps
    Flat DB Bench Press, 3 Sets, 8-10 reps
    Cable Crossovers, 3 Sets, 8-12 reps
    DB Shoulder Press, 3 Sets, 8-10 reps
    Side Laterals, 3 Sets, 8-12 reps
    Tricep Dips (Heavy), 3 Sets, 5-8 reps
    *optional: 1 more tricep movement 3 sets, 8-12 reps

DAY 2- Pull Day:*Hypertrophy* (drop set on all final sets)
    Weighted Pull Ups, 3 Sets, 8-12 reps
    Pendlay Rows, 3 Sets, 8-10 reps
    Shrugs, 3 Sets, 8-10 reps
    One Arm Bent Over Rows, 3 Sets, 8-12 reps
    Rear Delt Raises, 3 sets, 8-12 reps
    Ez Curls (Standing Heavy), 3 Sets, 5-8 reps
    *optional: 1 more bicep movement, 3 sets, 8-12 reps

DAY 3- Leg Day:
    Squats (Heavy), 3 Sets, Wendler’s 5/3/1
    Deadlifts, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps
    Leg Extensions, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps
    Leg Curls, 3 Sets, 15 bottom half, 15 top half, 15 full reps
    Calf Raises x 2 variations: 3 Sets, 8-12 reps

DAY 4- REST DAY

DAY 5- Upper Body:
    Flat Bench (Heavy), 3 Sets, Wendler’s 5/3/1
    Pull ups/Barbell Rows, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps
    Incline DB, 2 Sets, 6-10 reps
    One Arm DB Rows, 2 Sets, 6-10 reps
    Standing OHP (Heavy), 3 Sets, Wendler’s 5/3/1
    Side Hammer Curls (Light), 3 Sets, 8-12 reps
    Skullcrushers (Light), 3 Sets, 8-12 reps

DAY 6- Lower Body:
    Deadlifts (Heavy), 3 Sets, Wendler’s 5/3/1
    Squats, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps
    Leg Curls, 3 Sets, 8-10 reps
    Front Squats/Leg Extensions, 3 Sets, 8-12 reps
    Calf Raises, 3 Sets, 8-12 reps

DAY 7- Rest Day OR Optional training day:
    Arms: 2 movements of tri’s and bi’s each
    Calves: 1 calf movement
    Rear delts: face pulls & bent over rear delt raises

• sjohnson__1
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Gonna hijack my own bulk thread to discuss different variations of GVT that people have ran... if you've ran it, please let me know about your experiences and what you think about the different split variations..

I was planning to run the following split:

DAY 1-CHEST AND BACK
    A-1 Bench Press 10x10 (90 sec rest)
    A-2 Chin-ups 10x10 (90 sec rest)
    B-1 Incline dumbbell flyes 3x10-12 (60 seconds)
    B-2 seated rows 3x10-15 (60 seconds)

DAY 2-LEGS AND ABS

A-1 Squats 10x10 90 seconds
    A-2 Leg curls 10x10 90 seconds
    B-1 weighted sit ups 3x15-20 60 seconds
    B-2 calf raises 3x10-15 60 seconds

DAY 3-REST DAY

DAY 4-ARMS AND SHOULDERS

A-1 Dips 10x10 90 seconds
    A-2 Hammer curls 10x10 90 seconds
    B-1 lateral raises 3x10-15 60 seconds
    B-2 lying side laterals 3x10-15 60 seconds

DAY 5-REST DAY

Phases:
    Above is phase 1. I'll run this through 6 times before moving to Phase 2. Phase two is 10 sets of 6 on A lifts, keeping B lifts the same and ran 3 times each, then back to Phase 1.

In both phases I will be alternating between A lifts (kinda like a superset) but with 90 secs of rest between each. And the same for B lifts with 60 secs of rest between each exercise. [ie: A-1, rest 90, A-2, rest 90, A-1 set 2, rest 90, A-2 set 2, rest 90...etc.]
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Dang, that is a lot of V in GVT. Good luck, dude.
  • sjohnson__1
    Options

We both know there's nothing wrong with a lot of V.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

We both know there's nothing wrong with a lot of V.

@LabiaDOMS .............

And your workout looks brutual!!!!! May the gains forever be in your favor!
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that @sjohnson__1 . I didn't break my GVT into phases. I ran it for a month and super setted where I could to shorten the time spent in the gym.
  • sjohnson__1
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    Good luck with that @sjohnson__1 . I didn't break my GVT into phases. I ran it for a month and super setted where I could to shorten the time spent in the gym.

Yeah that's a Charles Poliquin variant.
  • sjohnson__1
    Options
    The DOMS from Day 1 of GVT y'all............. they're real. Might need to up my calories quicker than I thought.