Coming out of starvation mode. Help!

Replies

• Ok thank u. I hope to reach that mark but still keep my weight down. Preparing for the holidays too.
  • Ok thank u. I hope to reach that mark but still keep my weight down. Preparing for the holidays too.

Yes please do. :)
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You need to talk to a professional about your eating disorder. Good luck.

Seconding this.

Thirding this.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    X4 this.
    Up your calories over a few weeks, you and your body will deal with it better.
    If you can get help from a councillor or a dietician.

Once you are at your true maintenance do try some strength training, you will love what it will do for your body, and it will help you eat more.

Cheers, h.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    You only have four pounds to lose? Oh, my, what are you doing to yourself?
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Hey everyone - stop calling thin or looking thin "anorexic". Anorexia is a mental illness and having an actual eating disorder is very different than someone eating for a period in a disordered manner.

This is an internet forum, not a psychologist's office, ok? I kind of thought this is what the moderators were for?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Venus_Red wrote: »
    Hey everyone - stop calling thin or looking thin "anorexic". Anorexia is a mental illness and having an actual eating disorder is very different than someone eating for a period in a disordered manner.

This is an internet forum, not a psychologist's office, ok? I kind of thought this is what the moderators were for?

Moderators only respond to flags.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member

It's the OP who was talking thin vs anorexia. The posters are simply urging her to go talk to a professional because her post here and elsewhere throw up red flags for really disordered eating. Not much else we can say other than please eat more and please talk to a therapist.
  • Look I ain't anorexic, nor being close to one. I eat more now, I just wanted to no if the weight gain is temporary is all. I don't need to be lectured about "seeing a therapist". I'm still adding up my calories and I don't starve myself although I under ate for a short period of time.
  • I will appreciate it if y'all stop calling or thinking I'm anorexic or having an eating disorder. Many people crash diet and decide to change for the better by adding up. That's exactly what I'm doing.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Eating more is just food weight in your guts or water and not fat I think. 107 is very light. Girls still look good slighly overweight so dont worry about a few lbs. Extreme slimness would be a warning sign to me if I was a single guy dating. I would worry about that whereas I wouldn't worry about a couple of extra lbs. My wife is 5'6" and is about 130-140 and I think she looks pretty hot!.
  • I'm happy with my weight. I can feel the retention going down now and feel better that I can eat more and still maintain.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2015
    Look I ain't anorexic, nor being close to one. I eat more now, I just wanted to no if the weight gain is temporary is all. I don't need to be lectured about "seeing a therapist". I'm still adding up my calories and I don't starve myself although I under ate for a short period of time.

Here is a link that might be helpful:

National Eating Disorders Association

Good luck to you.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    I been on a very low calorie diet, and I manage to lose a lot of weight by eating 300-800 calories a day and a hour of exercise. I finally reached my goal weight but I shouldn't be eating so low. I been in starvation mode for a bit and I need to get out. So I decide to slowly add my calories back in but continue to exercise and I put on 4 pounds under a week. :(. Is this temporarily? Water weight? I'm terrified of gaining weight and I don't want to go back to my old weight. I was quite happy with reaching my goal weight and wanted to keep it there. I continued to eat the daily calorie intake for a woman and exercise but I want my weight goal back. How long does this last? Will it go back down? Will I lose these pounds I gained? Plz help, I don't want to go on a crash diet again, it's not healthy and I want to be healthy but keep my weight. Thank u

Under 400 calories for a few days is a crash diet. Maintaining this low calories for more, adding exercise into the mix and being terrified of weight gain, means you need to talk to a dr. You might have already done damage to your health, especially because of your age and your still growing body, and you might need medical help reversing any damage done. Talk to your dr.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I am starting by eating again 1200. So this weight is temporarily? If it is how long does it usually take? It's been a week now. (Staying off the scale for awhile)

It's temporary, give it a couple of weeks. You need to make sure that you don't do this to your body again, it's very dangerous.

This!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

Eating in a disordered manner is having an eating disorder ...it's not the timespan that makes it different, it's the thought processes and emotional journey that tells a person that it is ok to do this

If you would like a moderator attention hit the report button and tell them what you're concerned about. But they are not psychiatrists or weight-loss experts, they are volunteers applying a written terms of service guide in whichever way they choose to interpret it
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    siluridae wrote: »
    There is no such thing. Unless someone was dying, and even then they would still lose weight, the body can't magic calories out of thing air.
    If you actually gained fat, you were in a calorie surplus. It might just be normal fluctuation from water and waste. A calorie deficit will get you back down to your goal weight if it was fat. There is no need to crash diet, you can choose a modest deficit.

Unless she only did it for a very short period of time, this is exactly when the 'myth' can be applicable.

Good luck, OP. Definitely eat to real maintenance and don't diet for a while, or do it very slowly (like a couple of hundred off maintenance max!). You'll want your body to know you really aren't starving, because what you were doing literally qualifies. That really can affect metabolism for a long while, but hopefully you didn't do it for long enough to do that.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Look I ain't anorexic, nor being close to one. I eat more now, I just wanted to no if the weight gain is temporary is all. I don't need to be lectured about "seeing a therapist". I'm still adding up my calories and I don't starve myself although I under ate for a short period of time.

With all due respect OP - Posting a thread mentioning that you have severely under-eaten and want to come out of 'starvation mode' is going to set alarm bells ringing for us. We don't comment to berate and nag you - we do it because ultimately, we want you to be healthy and happy in what you are doing. No one is calling you anorexic but you definitely have a disordered way of eating. I used to have a disordered way of eating too - quite simliar to you, in fact. I instantly went back to a 'healthy' amount of calories and I did not gain weight.

If you DO see any type of gain, it'll be a water gain (providing you are still at a deficit).

I hope you follow everyone's advice to speak to a professional. There must be a reason why you were depriving yourself so badly and it won't hurt to get to the bottom of that.