Protein shake question

Options
I did a search and couldn't come up with anything....

What is the point of protein shakes other then making sure you hit your daily goal? I see the powder stuff in most stores and have asked my husband if I should be using it and he told me I shouldn't because it would make me gain weight. I exercise 6x a week. I do 3 of Jillian Michael's DVDs a day: 30-Day Shred, Ripped in 30 and her Yoga Meltdown DVD and burn a little more then 900 cals/day. Could I use the powder and benefit from it?

Replies

• Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer, which is why I'm going to ghost around in this thread, because I'd like to know the same thing!
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer, which is why I'm going to ghost around in this thread, because I'd like to know the same thing!

Glad I'm not the only one! I feel kinda stupid for asking!
  • froggie3716
    froggie3716 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not sure I have the exact answer for you...but I drink protein shakes as a snack or on the go breakfast with a piece of fruit. My body tends to lose more weight if I have a protein heavy diet (not low carb through) so this works for me. They tend to keep me fuller for a small amount of calories and it keeps my dietary proportions in order. :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Some people use shakes to get more protein (or other nutrients, such as fiber) in their diet.
    My partner uses shakes because otherwise he gets ravenous between the gym and lunch and wants to eat everything in sight.
    A well balanced shake does not, in and of itself, have any benefits over getting the same balance of nutrients from solid food, many of us just find it more convenient.
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hey there-

Here is my answer to that question......(just my two cents) In the past I have used protein shakes only because I had not been a breakfast person and therefore it was the only way I was getting in some extra things I needed. It was quick, easy, somewhat tasty and did the job when I just did'nt feel like eating anything. Be aware though, if you choose to go the Soy route, for women, it has a estrongenic affect and therefore can make you gain weight!! yikes. I would use them only if you have calories you still need to ingest and you absolutely do not wish to eat anything.

Like I said, my two cents.
  • JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are very good for you if you are working out. They will not make you gain weight unless you are using them to supplement your daily intake. If you include them into your diary and daily calorie goals they are a great source of protein and really good way to get your nutrients post-workout. I also would just make sure that you look for brands that are not high in sugar (a lot of brands are). Personally I really like the premeir nurtition ones. You can get the premaid versions as well, but if you do get powder they don't always taste the greatest. Also consider what you are mixing the powder with (Milk is high in sugar, calories & fat); I usually try and use either almond milk or water if I have to use the powder. Also I would suggest whey protein over soy protein.
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Options
    Hey there-

Here is my answer to that question......(just my two cents) In the past I have used protein shakes only because I had not been a breakfast person and therefore it was the only way I was getting in some extra things I needed. It was quick, easy, somewhat tasty and did the job when I just did'nt feel like eating anything. Be aware though, if you choose to go the Soy route, for women, it has a estrongenic affect and therefore can make you gain weight!! yikes. I would use them only if you have calories you still need to ingest and you absolutely do not wish to eat anything.

Like I said, my two cents.

Mom, I'm glad you told me this! I have been eyeballing this powder but I'm ALWAYS over on my protein everyday so maybe I don't need it after all...we'll talk more about this when I call you tonight!
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Options
    Protein shakes are very good for you if you are working out. They will not make you gain weight unless you are using them to supplement your daily intake. If you include them into your diary and daily calorie goals they are a great source of protein and really good way to get your nutrients post-workout. I also would just make sure that you look for brands that are not high in sugar (a lot of brands are). Personally I really like the premeir nurtition ones. You can get the premaid versions as well, but if you do get powder they don't always taste the greatest. Also consider what you are mixing the powder with (Milk is high in sugar, calories & fat); I usually try and use either almond milk or water if I have to use the powder. Also I would suggest whey protein over soy protein.

Thanks for the response! Maybe I'll just stick with what I'm doing now and add it later when I'm more comfortable with my weight loss. I'm still learning about what works for my body and throwing something else into the mix might make me stall out!
  • HDurow1018
    HDurow1018 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    My trainer recommended a great whey protein shake mix when I started my fitness boot camp. I usually just take it after a heavy workout since I think it's good to have some protein after. It's called Body Fortress and it's chocolate peanut butter flavor :) It's DELISH! I put it in either non fat milk or light soy milk, but you could put it in anything you wanted. There are instructions for how much to use when you are trying to lose weight because it can be used for gaining as well. I found mine at Walmart.
    Hope that helps,
    Heather