White bread

Options
I find that white bread or any other white starches leaves me bloated and my tummy huge as a ball that's why I prefer low carbing but can white bread make you gain weight even if your under on the calories? For the sake of keeping my tummy flat I might stick to low carbs

Replies

• ariana_eatsandlifts
    ariana_eatsandlifts Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If you are under your calories, no.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    "can white bread make you gain weight even if your under on the calories?"

No, I've not heard of any food that can do this.

And yes, I'd stop eating white starches if they're not agreeing with you.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If you are bloated from the bread then you may gain weight, but it will be water weight not fat.

If bread bothers you, don't eat bread. I'm not sure why that would mean you have to eat low carb, but there is nothing wrong with it.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I get bloated from white bread too. I avoid it most of the time, but mostly because I don't really like it anyway.
    Same thing with rice and pasta (bloating) but I still eat rice, just mind the portions.

I choose other ways to get carbs like sweet potatoes, a ton of veggies and fruits -- which I love.
    When I eat low carb, I feel like total crap; but if it works for you and you feel better, then by all means.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you love bread and want to avoid the bloating, try a different texture like ciabatta or toasted. If you add protein or fat you can also affect (slow down) the digestion. Including fiber with your meal might prevent the bloating by breaking up that great white clump of carby goodness. For instance, a slice of fresh bread with a fresh salad.
  • lisaloolovesblue
    lisaloolovesblue Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Instead of going low-carb, try to get the right KIND of carbohydrates. Fueling your body is about so much more than just the number of calories. Focus on eating whole, unrefined carbohydrates such as whole grain bread and brown rice. These are so much better for your body.

White bread (and other foods with high glycemic index, such as pretzels), spikes your blood sugar, causing your insulin to shoot up, and leaves you in a sugar crash (which makes you hungry again too soon).
    But the same amount of calories of a whole grain will digest more slowly, avoiding the sugar spike, raised insulin, sugar crash, and early hunger all together.

Don't cut out carbs; they are not the enemy. Your body NEEDS them. Just make sure you are getting the right kind and right amount of carbohydrates.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Are you bloated from the bread or by any food? Because after you eat, your stomach will expand. Its also why we look the best when we wake up because we haven't eaten in quite some time.

Also, have you tried other types of bread (wheat, rye, pumpernickel, sourdough, etc..)
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post Lisa, explains why I do indeed get hungry quick after high gi carbs
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes. White bread contains bromide, which competes with iodine, which starves your thyroid. This slows your metabolism.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I'll look into other types to get my carbs...
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    cherriegh wrote: »
    I find that white bread or any other white starches leaves me bloated and my tummy huge as a ball that's why I prefer low carbing but can white bread make you gain weight even if your under on the calories? For the sake of keeping my tummy flat I might stick to low carbs

It wont make you gain weight but may seem that way because its making you bloated. Bread makes me very puffy + digestive issues which is why i am gluten free. But i eat other carbs: potatoes, yam, quinoa, rice, etc
  • cherriegh
    Options
    cherriegh wrote: »

It wont make you gain weight but may seem that way because its making you bloated. Bread makes me very puffy + digestive issues which is why i am gluten free. But i eat other carbs: potatoes, yam, quinoa, rice, etc

Yea my weight doesn't move or I'd gain a little if I eat white starch then lose the weight following day if I didn't eat any....going for more dense starches now something I can sustain
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    You weigh 132 pounds; what is your goal?
  • cherriegh
    edited October 2015
    Options
    GW 123 - I had 3/4cup cooked brown rice yesterday for supper and today I feel stodgy and my stomach is harder and no morning flat abs. I think I'll eat complex carbs on my workout days and stick to veggie carbs on non-workout days.

Really learning my body and how certain food groups affect my body and weight
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I love bread. But because I have a hard time keeping in my macros and calories, I give it a skip. When I do buy bread, it tends to be newman's own wheat or bakery bread. I have 2 fantastic local bakeries near me so i get the joy of fresh bread and the joy of supporting local business: win/win B)

I also dabble in making my own bread...which is hard, but satisfying=)

If it bugs you thou i agree with the other opinions of giving it a skip.