Any Type 1 Diabetics Out There?

Options
Hello,

Would love to connect with any other type 1 diabetics. I've been type 1 for 32 years, use an insulin pump, joined MFP in January 2011 needing to lose about 100 pounds and down almost 60 so far. Please send me a friend request if you're looking for a buddy like me.

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've been type 1 for....wow, 21 years now. Good luck!
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    7 years and counting!
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    23 years !
  • swfell129
    swfell129 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi,
    Got type 1 at age 49 nearly 15 years ago. Insulin pump is my best friend. Have 40 pounds to lose. You're doing great. I just started to lose again after maintaining for a year by using MFP just Monday-Friday. Now I'm back on 24/7. Friend lost 40 pounds in the year I spent maintaining. I try to keep my calorie counts under the daily goal to allow for treating lows. Good Luck, Susan
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Good to hear from you guys. Sending friend requests.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Type 1 for the last 15 years. I'm using Animas Ping.
    For low blood sugars I suggest getting little juice boxes (~34 carbs). If I'm 60-80 and have any insulin still running through my system I chug one and lower my basal for a couple of hours.
  • valeriedent2
    valeriedent2 Posts: 154
    Options
    26 years and counting!! Been on the pump for the last 11. Welcome and good luck!!
  • wanderingwest
    Options
    Type 1 for 13 years now. Also using pump. Would love some mfp friends too.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have been for 16 years (17 in November). I do not use a pump. I have tried it twice and just can't stand it. I'm pro-shots! :wink:
  • jeannetter23
    Options
    I've had type 1 diabetes for about 18 years now!
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I have been for 16 years (17 in November). I do not use a pump. I have tried it twice and just can't stand it. I'm pro-shots! :wink:

Same here! I've had it since I was 3 yrs, so that makes 17 years. I only tried the pump once, started out great and then backfired on me. Not ready to give it a second go, I'd much rather do a round of shots as well ;)
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    It's been 19 years for me this month. I use an Animas Ping and I'd never ever willingly go back to shots - it just DOESN'T work for me.

I will be sending friend requests to everyone, lol.
  • odie02
    odie02 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Type I here too. No pump...no insurance. Don't always remember to take my insulin when I am supposed to, and I have a lot of highs and some lows. Hard as heck to lose weight when I am taking the insulin all the time.... of course when my numbers stay high, the weight drops off....but that is NOT the way I want to do it!! Last night I was at 54...then today I was as high as 564.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Type I here too. No pump...no insurance. Don't always remember to take my insulin when I am supposed to, and I have a lot of highs and some lows. Hard as heck to lose weight when I am taking the insulin all the time.... of course when my numbers stay high, the weight drops off....but that is NOT the way I want to do it!! Last night I was at 54...then today I was as high as 564.

Definitely hoping you can get it under control! I also have found it hard to lose weight with all the insulin. Something I have noticed lately is that by lowering my carb intake (and eliminating a lot of simple sugars), I need less insulin overall....not just at meals, but even my basal/long acting insulin. In two weeks of going lower-carb (100-150g a day vs. my old standard of about 250-300 a day!) I've decreased my total insulin need by about 15-20units a day! I think that is contributing to my weight loss. I'm also finding, as another great side effect, that my cravings for carbs are less than they used to be as I eat them less than I did.

I think (personally) it's hard to focus hard on losing weight AND getting diabetes under control at the same time, so my opinion is that it might be better to work on controlling the diabetes first, then the losing weight. Both are things you have to think about quite a bit and be pretty devoted to and you don't want to burn yourself out! Good luck, however you get there :)
  • bac0s
    bac0s Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Type 1 for 24 years (Next month... What an anniversary!). I'm on my third Medtronic pump... having been using one since 2001. I lost 71 pounds, and gained back 15 between Christmas and June. I've lost about 7 of that, so I'm on my way back down. Have a ways to go yet... my goal for now is another 40 pounds.