I hit a plateau guys I need a real good advice

Options
I weigh myself this morning i was the same weight although i was in a deficit all week my cardio was on point my lifting too but the scale stayed the same, I'm pretty much angry and upset because i worked my *kitten* off. I need a good sold advice on what to do to break this plateau my friend who trains he said you should shock your body over eat for a day reload on carbs just for a day get back on your same track the next day is that how you over come plateau ? p.s i changed the cardio machine i use now im on the stair master for the past two days and im always covered in sweat what is your take on this guys please please give me your opinions ?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    One week? Not remotely a plateau.

You don't need to shock your body. You need realistic expectations and patience.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    One week with no change is not a plateau. Just keep at it. I've had entire months with little to no movement o the scale. But my clothes tell another story and eventually the numbers start to go down again.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What they said

And please ignore your friend and his ridiculous talk of shocking the body ...broscience
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Try TrendWeight, https://trendweight.com/help/

It will take the noise out of your weight measurements and give you a better picture of your weight loss trend.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I've been busting butt in the gym lately too. Counting every calorie I'm eating. And my weight stayed the same for over a week. It even went up for a few days before it leveled back out. Basically it took me two weeks to see a new drop. The scale is going to do that. Our bodies are going to do that. Just keep doing what you're doing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    a week isn't a plateau...weight loss isn't a linear function...you're not going to lose exactly X in any given week...you're going to have weeks with bigger losses, smaller losses, no losses, and even gains...you have to watch the overall trend over time.

you're always going to have fluctuations due to water retention/release, more/less waste in your system, etc...these things show up on the scale from weigh in to weigh in...you need to look at the trend over time.

you need to re-evaluate your expectations to fit with reality.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    One week you'll lose nothing and then the following week you'll lose 4 pounds. That's just how it goes. No reason to panic. But you are going to need to learn patience or you're never going to be able to get to your goal weight. The only reason some people are successful and others aren't is because they keep going. So find a routine you can settle into as this is a marathon and not a sprint.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yeah, pretty much what everyone else said. Use the scale as a guideline to keep you in check; not as an infallible guage for projected weight loss.
    Before you know it, it will drop by a decent amount, good luck!
  • mazztepe163
    mazztepe163 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot guys i feel better this is my plan im going to stick with the same thing for a week and see if any chances because i really do my best in the gym ive recently switched from slow pace cardio to stair master and im dripping in sweat going to try that for a week. what you guys are saying is right i totally agree thanks for all your answers and time much appreciated xx
  • blessingsfromabove721
    blessingsfromabove721 Posts: 161 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Shoot, I'm still obese and even for me the scale doesn't move every week. It sucks, but it's the overall downward trend that you have to pay attention to.

Patience is key. Slow and steady wins the race :)
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Try measuring. If you are lifting and eating correctly, I am going to bet you are shifting fat to muscle,and muscle weighs more but your body will be more toned, hence smaller waits, hips. Just a thought.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot guys i feel better this is my plan im going to stick with the same thing for a week and see if any chances because i really do my best in the gym ive recently switched from slow pace cardio to stair master and im dripping in sweat going to try that for a week. what you guys are saying is right i totally agree thanks for all your answers and time much appreciated xx

I'm assuming - maybe it's a big assumption - that you only weigh yourself once a week? It seems you're not familiar with weight fluctuations. I weigh every day, and rarely weigh the same for more than three consecutive days. Up and down, up and down, but with a downward trend. That's how weight works. You don't have to weigh yourself every day, but you need to understand that weight fluctuates. To say that you'll wait one more week to see what happens is, in my opinion, unreasonable. Two weeks of seemingly no loss is still not a plateau. And now you've changed to the stair master. I don't think it's reasonable to compare one week to another when you are doing different things and a true sense of weight change takes longer than a week at a time.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Cut down cardio. Pump iron. Carb cycling can help too.