Changing Meal Times...Adapting my Stomach??

Options
I used to eat breakfast at 7:30, lunch at 12:00, and dinner at 5:30. Usually an afternoon snack and an after dinner snack as well. Then new jobs (same job, new schedule for me) came for my husband and I this summer and I have to adjust my eating schedule. I will still eat breakfast at 7:30 but at my office, they eat lunch at 11:30, so not too much of a change. But my husband is now commuting and won't get home until 7:00. I want to eat dinner with him but already eating lunch a half hour earlier makes eating dinner another hour and a half later sound like a snacking temptation waiting to happen. I usually have cheez-its or some type of cracker for an afternoon snack and it holds me until dinner at 5:30 just fine.

Any advice on how to make my stomach adjust to these new meal times? I know stretching it out over a month would work but are there any faster solutions? I have 1430 calories per day before I add exercise calories and I usually have under 200 calories left, often cutting it within 50 calories of 1430. Thanks for any input!!

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Just have your evening snack around the time you would normally have dinner, instead of snacking after dinner, since you will be eating at 7.

ETA: From my own experience, you can't really train your body when to be hungry and when not to be. It sort of has a mind of it's own.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Just adjust your snack times. Like have a larger afternoon snack and a lighter dinner.
  • nhhartmann
    nhhartmann Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Or switch your morning snack to between your lunch and dinner if you like to have your snack after dinner.

Another idea is what I do with my food log:
    I have it setup for Breakfast, AM Snack, Lunch, PM Snack, Dinner, Late Snack. I end up eating the most of my calories at dinner most days but the rest of them are between 175 and 300 calories each. I interchange them as needed (if I'm not too hungry, I go 175. If I'm hungry I go more torward 300 or even more if I exercise). I just basically have the six small meals per day. It has really helped me stay full.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Your body will naturally adjust once you commit to it.

I used to get hungry every 2-3 hours. I can easily, EASILY go 18-24 hours without needing or even *wanting* food now. My stomach has adapted based on the adaptation of satiety hormones like ghrelin.