Tips for Losing fat on thighs/legs?

Options
What sort of exercises can i do to slim down my hips/ thighs/ legs? I have a lot of excess fat in those areas.. =/ any suggestions are welcome!!!

Replies

• sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.
  • samgilardi
    Options
    I know i can just lose weight on my legs, and trust me, i wouldn't mind losing fat all over my body, just want to know what kind of exercises will work my legs the most..
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Well, fat loss will come from your diet. You can workout your legs more, but you what you'll be doing is building muscle under the fat. So it's possible they'll get bigger if you work them more without working on total fat loss.
  • Jessabelle12
    Jessabelle12 Posts: 145
    Options
    Squats will tone your legs and bums. Yoga is great for all over toning and certain moves will work better for your legs. Regular cycling will give you killer thighs but again, a lot may cause your legs to get bigger but will be toned. :smile:
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Squats will tone your legs and bums. Yoga is great for all over toning and certain moves will work better for your legs. Regular cycling will give you killer thighs but again, a lot may cause your legs to get bigger but will be toned. :smile:

NO. Workouts outside of a cardio is not going to help lose fat. This is the same logic of people doing ab workouts to lose stomach fat. Any anabolic workout helps create muscle that lies below the fat and does nothing to the actual fat in that area.

I have two words for your problem OP.......CARDIO, DIET
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I ahve a tendancy for thunder thighs because I have a very sedentary job. The things that have worked best for me are running, Zumba, and a stair stepper machine. I never got as good results doing step aerobics for some reason, though that is good exercise.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, you have to be on point with your diet. Then you just need to do cardio. Try running.

If you are pear shaped, try not to over work your legs with squats and strength training. Building muscle under fat is only going to make them look bulkier. Get into a good cardio program like c25k. Don't stop strength training all together, just focus more on cardio.
  • flgirlsteph
    flgirlsteph Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You have to eat right and make sure you do your cardio because if not you cant tone you legs to be smaller and more fit. I'm struggling with the same thing along with belly fat but im steadly loosing weight the more i notice my legs r becoming tighter and less cottage cheese looking. Hope this helped
  • MCPaulyB
    MCPaulyB Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    #1....your diet is the most important thing in losing weight (fat)
    #2....building muscle will help you burn fat faster. Look into some high intensity circuit training and/or plyometrics routines in addition to your standard free-weight training.
    #3....cardio will help you shed more pounds....but high intensity works best.

I would tend to disagree with the people above that state that "cardio" will help you most effectively. To be specific, weight training coupled with high-intensity cardio will help you cut fat most effectilvely. Most bodybuiders and female fitness models are so lean for this reason. They don't do a lot of prolonged cardio.

Set a goal and stick to it....sign up for a race like Tough Mudder or Spartan Race with a friend and work out together...motivation.
  • samgilardi
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions! =]