Best Remedies

Options
I know it isn't a weight loss issue however I have had a cough for a few days which was getting better but after having to be outside all day today my throat is really sore! What do you do to ease a sore throat other than strepsil type things. :-)

Replies

• ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    My father swore by a tablespoon of honey, swallowed straight.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    For me, salt water gargle helps. I don't know if it'll help you though. I just mix salt and warm tap water and gargle it around and spit it into the sink.
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Propolis. In drops, either with a little sugar or directly in the throat.
  • BeccaColliesBurton
    BeccaColliesBurton Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like honey ( I've run out just now) so I can do that when I get some. I haven't tried propolis but sounds like a good idea to have in. Salt tastes horrible but it does work, I had forgotten about that one! Thanks x
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Advil or Tylenol helps, but if you want to shorten your cold or give yourself more immunity, I've found elderberry syrup really helps.
  • lauli22
    lauli22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Artemiris wrote: »
    Propolis. In drops, either with a little sugar or directly in the throat.
    Propolis the bitter the better. Spray it in the throat, don't associate it with other conventional medicines
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The Chloroseptic spray and lozenges were helpful.

I'm just getting over a variety of infections (tomorrow I should be back to normal) and that's what helped my throat. The Mucinex is helpful for what it's supposed to do.

But what really helped was dragging my sorry butt into the doctor, getting antibiotics, cough syrup and an inhaler. Ignoring it and hoping it would get better - about as effective as that tactic normally is. (Not very.) :)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    For me, salt water gargle helps. I don't know if it'll help you though. I just mix salt and warm tap water and gargle it around and spit it into the sink.
    I'll second this one.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I'll second this one.

Yep!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Advil or Tylenol helps

This.

Other than that, anything else will only make you think it's helping, but doesn't really do anything.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Vinegar. It sounds weird, I know. My mom used to make a vinegar and salt water gargle for us kids. I've found eating salad with oil and vinegar dressing soothes my throat. Also eating saurkraut helps.
  • BeccaColliesBurton
    Options
    Vinegar. It sounds weird, I know. My mom used to make a vinegar and salt water gargle for us kids. I've found eating salad with oil and vinegar dressing soothes my throat. Also eating saurkraut helps.

Cool that's an interesting one. I usually take Apple cider vinegar daily but haven't recently...... Wonder if it would have taken hold had i continued taking it!!!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I assume that you're looking for homeopathic remedies? That happens to be my specialty. ;) I work at a health food store and we've been getting a lot of people comming in with colds lately. It seems that something's been passing around in our area.

It really depends on what's causing the sore throat. If it's an infection, I'd reccomend some immune boosters. Vitamin C, olive leaf complex, colloidal silver, and elderberry extracts/syrups are all good for immune support. Elderberry syrup in particular is good for sore throats, as most quality brands are made with raw honey, which is naturally antibacterial and coats the throat, which soothes it. Collodial silver is good for strep and other infections, but it won't do much for immediate relief. Some herbal cough drops, particularly those made with honey and menthol, would soothe a sore throat. Menthol is warming, and it can also help clear the sinuses.

As far as food is concerned, eat what feels best to you. I prefer warm and mushy things when my throat hurts. Oatmeal, bread pudding, and protein hot chocolate are some of my favorites.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    My father swore by a tablespoon of honey, swallowed straight.

Yes this was very common in my household as well. It is supposed to heal the throat since they say honey has healing properties.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I assume that you're looking for homeopathic remedies? That happens to be my specialty. ;) I work at a health food store and we've been getting a lot of people comming in with colds lately. It seems that something's been passing around in our area.

It really depends on what's causing the sore throat. If it's an infection, I'd reccomend some immune boosters. Vitamin C, olive leaf complex, colloidal silver, and elderberry extracts/syrups are all good for immune support. Elderberry syrup in particular is good for sore throats, as most quality brands are made with raw honey, which is naturally antibacterial and coats the throat, which soothes it. Collodial silver is good for strep and other infections, but it won't do much for immediate relief. Some herbal cough drops, particularly those made with honey and menthol, would soothe a sore throat. Menthol is warming, and it can also help clear the sinuses.

As far as food is concerned, eat what feels best to you. I prefer warm and mushy things when my throat hurts. Oatmeal, bread pudding, and protein hot chocolate are some of my favorites.

OP, ignore this. Homeopathy is pure woo of the silliest kind.
  • BeccaColliesBurton
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

OP, ignore this. Homeopathy is pure woo of the silliest kind.

I don't think homeopathic is pure woo of the silliest kind. Lots of remedies which are considered homeopathic have been used to good effect over centuries. Very condescending and patronising of others views and beliefs Orphia.

Just things that promote well being and ease symptoms really.

It's not strep it's just a cold. Thank you for your reply strawblack cat x