I almost never feel "hunger" - what can I do to stop this?

Options
malioumba
malioumba Posts: 132 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
It's very odd, because when I wake up, I'm not hungry, and whether I end up eating breakfast or not, I still don't end up hungry in the afternoon, nor dinner time. By dinner time, I definitely eat anyway just because I still have the sensation of WANTING to eat, despite not feeling "rumbling" patterns in my stomach.

What is causing this? Why would I NOT feel the rumbling patters? This is true on days when I:
(1.) under-eat due to being too busy, (2.) when I eat maintenance and (3.) when I over-eat (and this is usually most of my days anyway, but working on changing it). Does anyone experience not commonly feeling the "hunger pains"? I won't say I NEVER feel them, but...just not daily.

That being said, most days, despite not feeling the rumbling stomach, I eat anyway simply 'cause I love the taste of food, and more often then not, I will over-eat a bit more over my maintenance so definitely am pudgy. But when those days come when I just don't get time to eat (or lets say, I don't make the effort to eat), I go the day without feeling hungry, even though...most days, I over-eat anyway.

What could be causing inability to feel a rumbling stomach? An infection in the gut? Too low maintenance-calories that simply eating just a bit will provide enough energy for cells? My mother says she doesn't usually feel hunger pains either - could it be a faulty gene?

Replies

• superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    If you eat u will feel hungry so have a little breakfast you should be hungry for lunch. Just speaking from experience no science behind it.
  • malioumba
    Options
    If you eat u will feel hungry so have a little breakfast you should be hungry for lunch. Just speaking from experience no science behind it.

I mentioned that I don't get hungry on the days I eat "average"(1,200-1500 calories) and the days I over-eat as well (but on the days I over-eat, it makes sense I wouldn't feel hungry), but on the days where I miss-out on eating a meal, or the days when I eat "average", I STILL don't get the rumbling. Just the sensation of wanting to eat.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't generally get serious hunger pangs because I eat all the time.

If you're overeating, that may be why you don't feel hungry - because you aren't. :) If you're really worried about it, call the doctor. It could be that something is wrong. But it could also be that you aren't hungry because you eat enough. :)
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

If you're overeating, that may be why you don't feel hungry - because you aren't. :) If you're really worried about it, call the doctor. It could be that something is wrong. But it could also be that you aren't hungry because you eat enough. :)

It can also be not hungry because not eating enough. Just saying.
  • malioumba
    Options

Could be a good reason for another case, but If I'm fat though.... and I am, I must be eating *too* much anyway
  • malioumba
    Options

I think you're probably right - it's because *most* of the time, I do over-eat. Thanks :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I think it's nice to know when you'll probably get hungry enough to have stomach growling and eat before then. You don't have to overeat, but it's not bad to not have a growling stomach either.

By the time my stomach growls I'm usually dizzy and start to get nauseous, so I do try to avoid it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I also have to go a very long time before I feel true hungry, 36 - 48 hr.
    I have always been like this.

Before I lost my weight I used to love that full tummy feeling, just about bloated, so would eat if it didn't feel full. That is not hunger.

A rumbling tummy is an indication of excess gastric juices; this can indicate hunger, but not necessarily.

Not long into losing weight, when I was counting calories and had to decide when I would eat them, I found I actually liked a neutral feeling in my tummy.

Now, I eat to my calories, to saited, and hate the full/bloated feeling.

Eat to a meal pattern that suits you. There is no need to eat breakfast. It is not my favourite meal of the day, but I find a coffee and a granola bar or protien bar and an orange gives me a good start.

Hunger cues, especially in this day and age, when we are not performing an excess of manual labour, in general, can be misleading, and often individual.

Cheers, h.

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry if you never feel hungry. Hunger isn't a great indicator of when to eat for lots of people. Many people who become overweight find the opposite true, that they are hungry despite eating plenty. Either way, eat based on meeting your calorie goal, not your hunger. For instance, if my goal is 2500 calorie, I eat 2500 calorie whether I'm hungry or not. If I eat the goal and I'm still hungry, then I'll just deal with being hungry until its time to eat again. If your goal is to lose weight, not being hungry should make that goal easier.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I rarely get a rumbling stomach. I'm most likely to feel that if I'm hungry AND there's delicious barbecue smells in the kitchen
  • lisaloolovesblue
    lisaloolovesblue Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Your body has hormones in charge of your appetite. Leptin depresses the appetite, and Ghrelin causes you to feel hungry. You could have an imbalance of those hormones.

As far as I know, there's not really a "fix" to that, you just have to be more mindful of what you are eating because your body might not be the most reliable to know when you need to eat.

If it is something that's started suddenly, I would ask your doctor about it. But if not, you may just have to learn when to eat by looking at the clock. You still need the fuel- your body just doesn't communicate that to you as well.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I felt like this until I started lifting weights.
    Now, I am ravenous after a workout. ;)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    When I cut my carbs I lost a great deal of my appetite. For me, carbs trigger wanting to eat along with the blood sugar highes and lows.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When i was 44% body fat and regularly overeating, i never felt the belly rumbling hunger. Not for the 15 years i lived this way. Now at 22% body fat i get the rumbles and sick feelings. I've put alot of thought into this as i still have 20lbs until my goal of loosing 125lbs and the only thing i can think of is my body now has alot less stored bodyfat to feed off of. Good luck to you!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I want this non rumbling stomach gene. I'm actually off to research excess gastric juices now heh
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I want this gene too. I'm in the "eat plenty but still hungry" group...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I'm not sure where you're coming from. OP reports that she's already overeating, so I don't think that eating even more would make her hungrier, you know?

Did you miss something or did I?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I think it is sometimes appropriate to ignore hunger cues, at least temporarily, and eat by the numbers. Once you establish healthy eating patterns, it's likely appropriate hunger cues will reestablish themselves.