TMI Facebook?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to figure out what to share (if anything) on Facebook about my journey? Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    That's entirely up to you.

I personally find that people are morons on Facebook who give unsolicited advice or try to get me to buy their supplement/shake/wrap/snake oil, so I don't share very much.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Up to you. Think about what you want and who your friends are on there. Have you talked about weight loss with them before? Are any of them trying to lose weight?

I don't want advice, comments, discussion or likes about my weight from my facebook friends. I haven't posted anything on facebook about losing weight and won't.

• purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Meh, I posted on FB about weight lifting and how it's annoying that the culture believes women will "bulk up" from lifting heavy. Of course someone replied saying I shouldn't lift heavy because I will bulk up. UGH.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Depends on you and how much you feel comfortable sharing (know in advance that you're going to get a lot of uneducated, idiotic responses and bad advice). I know people who share everything in their life on Facebook - you know where they ate breakfast (complete with pictures of their meal), when they went to the bathroom afterward (hopefully NOT with pictures), who they had lunch with, where they went grocery shopping, etc. And of course, if they don't check in and post selfies from the gym, their workout didn't count!

...I personally find that people are morons on Facebook who give unsolicited advice or try to get me to buy their supplement/shake/wrap/snake oil, so I don't share very much.
    Oh yeah. If you have friends who are involved in the pyramid schemes like Scamvocare, ItDoesn'tWorks!, Snakeoilogy or whatever, they'll be lined up and pestering you to death to buy their products or become a "coach" along with them!

Meh, I posted on FB about weight lifting and how it's annoying that the culture believes women will "bulk up" from lifting heavy. Of course someone replied saying I shouldn't lift heavy because I will bulk up. UGH.
    Look at the bright side - ridiculous comments based upon old wives' tales immediately let you know that you should ignore anything that person says in the future. It goes back to the old saying "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". LOL.
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    Meh, I wouldn'ti have way too many people selling It works! And beachbody stuff and all that junk. I cannot imagine the amount of ridiculous advice and tips I would get

Not to mention the "buy this, buy that!"

Not worth it to me
  • yangt41
    yangt41 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've only mentioned my weight loss on fb maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 10 months or so. It's either me tagging my gym as my location I'm at along with a short sentance or when I make a short post about a new milestone I've reached. I haven't publicly shared the total amount of weight I've lost or posted any new photos of my thinner self. It's weird, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to share my new body with the world because they all know me by my bigger self and they might be too judgmental about my new body. Some people are very rude and have said nasty things to me in my face and I would hate for someone to say something mean to me and have the world watching.
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't... I usually don't post anything but updated profile pics. People are just way too nosey and it's none of their business if I'm trying to lose weight. Besides, I'm not buying any crap!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I've noticed - whenever I share anything on facebook about my weight loss goals, I tend to get responses from well-meaning women stating that "I don't NEED to lose weight, silly girl!". I know they mean well but it doesn't help me and in turn makes people concerned about something they have no reason to be concerned about. Weight loss and body shape is a very personal and private thing. I'm happy to share it in a community like MFP - where I can find genuine advice and detailed facts about the process. But in my honest opinion, facebook is a little too invasive and 'opiniony' if that's even a word!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am trying to figure out what to share (if anything) on Facebook about my journey? Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

I don't, for a few reasons- I don't have a lot to loose, and it just feels private to me. I also don't want my friends who are involved in MLM scams to pester me.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Adults still use Facebook? :/
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    I keep my weight loss stuff off Facebook. I do make the occasional post about something fitness related, like a recent 5K, and the response is usually nice, but I'd rather keep the rest quiet. People in my life know what I've lost, but not where I started, what I weigh now, or how much I have left to drop. The more you lose, the crazier the comments get, the more jealousy you start to see and the more invasive people get. So I keep it all on here, where the support is priceless.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty quiet about it on facebook. I do get tagged in posts from gym friends, or I will mention things once in awhile but very rarely. My plan is to post when I hit my goal, with before and after pictures and a quick explanation of how I did it. I find it annoying when people post daily about that stuff.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I don't post much on facebook anyway, but I'm constantly on there looking through pages and other people's posts and messaging people. I plan to make a comparison post when I reach goal weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

I personally find that people are morons on Facebook who give unsolicited advice or try to get me to buy their supplement/shake/wrap/snake oil, so I don't share very much.

YOU, I like!

Sorry, I don't do FB.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Actually, only adults use FB now. My 18 yo son deleted his FB account a couple years ago, as did my 17 yo niece.
    None of their friends use FB anymore.
    I think the typical FB user is around 40.
    As for posting weight loss info on FB, I would pass.
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't.. I also don't really talk about it to the people close to me either. It's a journey I need to focus on alone. I've noticed in the past that whenever I'd mention it on FB or other people I'd lose focus. And whenever I see people post about going to the gym or eating healthy, I don't take them seriously.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I have only family and close friends on FB. I made a few posts with pics at major milestones. Everyone had been 100% supportive. Remember, you can create sub lists of selected people on FB or exclude certain people from seeing a post if they are morons.
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For me the negative ('you don't need to lose weight!', 'lifting will make you huge', and other non-helpful 'advice') outweigh the positive attaboys and offers from friends to join in. That is (part) of why I am here. We share the journey together and although some of us offer some really bad advice, most of us have researched and shut down the trolls when they pop up.

Maybe that just means I need to be more selective on my fb friends?
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Truth! My experience is that most people have poor knowledge of fitness and weight loss in general. I really don't want to hear rubbish about why women shouldn't lift heavy, various fad diets and so forth.

Yes. I think it's only adults - all the young folk are on Tumblr and instagram.