Short, relatively small women in long-term maintenance

Options

Replies

• theamazingcassiebunny
    Options
    5'2", maintaining at 108-110 pounds. I get just under 1600 daily, not counting additional exercise. I will often skip eating my exercise calories back and bank most of them for the weekend. I too find clothes shopping frustrating, since some stores don't even carry sizes small enough for me (or short enough lol).

Hoping to stay at this weight for a long time so I don't have to buy a bunch of new clothes again.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The response on this thread has been so good, that I decided to start a group for petite women looking to maintain:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/109137-petites-in-maintenance

Join in if you want a space where we can keep each other motivated.

:)
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

My calories are higher than someone who would be 20lbs lighter but I'm at my happy place and I'm slim. I feel as you get older that thin is not a good look, I have my curves in the right places and am happy as a pig in muck LOL

Awesome attitude, I love it! :)

I love having small feet - means I can shop on the bargain tables/kids section and get more shoes woo!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the group segacs. I am heading over. Rather excited, never joined a group before.

Clarion_r, don't you get sick of pink kittens on your shoes? I do.

Cheers, h.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. I am 5ft and maintain at 127 (which makes me feel quite hefty compared to many on this thread) but allows me to maintain on about 1500 cals which doesn't feel I'm depriving myself, and I've maintained for 4 years.
    Clothes are too bad in the main but bra's are tricky - I'm a 32FF! Other thing is short legs - especially now I'm looking for winter running bottoms.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I fit the criteria at 5' 4" (till last year I was 5' 5"....but then I broke my back and lost and inch) but I think I fairly petite with a small frame I between 100-110 lbs, measurements are almost there boobs at 30A, 23" waist and 30" hips. I used to weigh 278 lbs.

I have been in maintenance for nearly 3 years but the last year has been a bit of a roller coaster with finding out I have Lupus on top of other chronic pain issues....so finding the "right" exercise and foods have been a crap shoot unfortunately I'm sort of a bit lost at the moment to know what my 'exact' maintenance numbers are......somewhere between @middlehaitch's numbers I think....but as I said with ever changing meds and flares :s

I'm so inspired by all your stories and can totally relate to the difficulty of clothes shopping.....training bras for me as the "girls" have a mind of their own and I'm scared to even attempt a push-up or enhancement bra for fear they will escape on me.

I wish I could help with ideas for you all with clothes outlets but I'm in Tasmania.....way, way, away and your struggles to find suitable clothing is just as hard in the Australian market as well...same with shoes as I have narrow feet and am truly grateful for the idea of the inserts. Thank you.

If it is OK @segacs I would love to join your group....many names here are familiar and I have seen many postings from responders on here which have inspired me, made me laugh and one's I think are so very wise.

All the best to everyone
    Karen
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3 & maintain at around 104lbs give or take a couple of lbs each way. I eat 1600-1800 calories a day most days & typically will have one day a week where I eat more, around 2200-2500 ish
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    hey all! I've pretty much been sitting in maintenance for about 9 months. I'm 5'1", and oscillate between 106-109. I'd like to shift my range down a few lbs to be 101-105, but i'm pretty happy where I'm right now too, and i can still play on the weekends quite a bit and easily maintain here.
  • segacs
    Options
  • SBSummertime
    SBSummertime Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just signed up today. I'm 5'2 and after after quite a long time of not going on the scales, this morning I've hit an all time high of 128 pounds :o I'm nearly 40 years old and have realised I can't keep snacking on the sweet stuff and not be accountable! I've always been very active, so for me its definitely down to my diet.
    Nice to read stories of other short ladies losing weight, it is possible!!!
    Looking onwards and upwards from today, determind the scales will not continue to go up!!!
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! I am 5'0" and am 69 years old, but look and act much younger. I work out at the gym 5x/wk which includes cardio/weights/circuit. I lost 40 lbs. and at my age, that took about 2.5 years and that means I never - and I mean never - deviated from my plan. So it is harder as you get older and I have read that
    short women, esp. if you are post-menopausal, have a much harder time keeping weight off, not to mention losing it in the first place. If you are much younger than me, you are realizing that it's harder for us, and you will be in good shape (no pun intended) as you age and your calorie needs have to get even smaller. But the good thing, at least for me, is that I have a small appetite since I lost the weight and often have trouble making it to the 1500.
    I am very small from the waist up, tho' larger busted (38 C), but stocky legs from the butt all the way through my calves. This, of course, means that I would never weigh in at 100, even while a teen where I was consistently 110, wearing a size 2 or 4. So I knew it would weigh more due to my build and my age. I have been at maintenance for 6+ months. I am 135 lbs. and allow myself to go to 137, no more than that. I had to understand that it is not healthy for me to try to get to that 110 or even that 120 that I was in my 30s and 40s. I am a Petite Small in tops and a Petite 6 or 8 in jeans. I'm fine with that. And yes, my maintenance calories are well below taller women's - like, more than 1500 - 1800 and I gain right away. I try to keep it at around 1500 and what I do is this: I keep my losing calorie amount (1250) on my MFP log. Then I use up my exercise cals, of course, and so I consistently log in at over the 1250. I do this because when I creep up those two pounds, I immediately go back to the 1250 to get them off. This seems to work for me.
    As for clothes: I have been buying lots of petite stuff through LandsEnd, esp. because they carry workout petite clothes and have great sales. No shipping charge if over $50. LLBean does not charge shipping so I use them. (If you have an LLBean Visa card, returns are also free.) Each of those does ship free to Canada, I believe, although with LE, you have to do the $50 minimum. Both sites have some pretty ugly stuff, but if you shop carefully, you can get great deals and some nice looking clothes. I live in a large Metro area so could get to stores, but hate shopping so it's all online for me. I have learned what fits from various stores but rarely return.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Shoe size... I used to be that nice, easy-to-find standard size 6. Since losing the weight, my feet appear to have shrunk a bit and now I'm more like a 5.5, which sucks 'cause it's a much harder to find size.
    Hi segacs and everyone else! I am also small and short-- barely 5'1", around 104 lbs, and have been maintaining with occasional bouts of losing a few pounds over again for I think a year and a half. I'm 28 and maintain at this weight with an active job somewhere around 1600-2000 cals a day, but I am trying to lose a tiny bit again so am back at 1350 cals net, which is really hard to stick to!

I had that exact same experience with my shoe size! I used to wear size 6 when I was 15ish lbs heavier (which is where I was since my second year of college. . . I was slim before that and got very thin my first year of school because of not being used to the food and having emotional issues, and then gained A LOT quickly). Sometimes I'd even be able to get 6.5 or small 7s, which are really easy to find. However, when I reached my goal weight of 105, I noticed that all my shoes seemed too big, and I now wear anything (depending on the manufacturer and style) from a 5 to a 6. Usually 5.5, which is soooo hard to find! Usually only the more expensive shoes come in that size, so I spend a lot of money when I need new shoes. Argh!

This year, I tracked and had to lose some weight in the early spring because the winter here in Vermont was so harsh that I didn't get outside skiing and running as much as I would have liked, plus I get married in May and wanted to look my best for that. I look and feel best at 102-103 lbs, but a honeymoon in Britain and then playing catch-up with home and work stuff afterwards made me gain a couple pounds and stop tracking. My job (at a plant nursery) is extremely active and strength-building in summer and I was eating whatever I wanted and staying around 103-104. But now fall has hit and I move less, must restart running and other workouts, and need to watch my food. It's hard-- especially living with a tall man who eats a fair amount and stays very slim always. ;P

Feel free to send me a friend request-- just write a short note about how you found me. :)

• segacs
    Options
    Yeah, I agree, the shoe size thing is so frustrating! Especially 'cause my feet have always been crazy narrow -- like, AAA or AAAA -- and finding narrow shoes in standard sizes is hard enough, but narrow shoes in small sizes simply don't exist.
  • rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »

And side some have mentioned bra size, I am a 30D...actually, I can wear a 28DD...but they are much harder to find. Even 30D is rare outside higher-end department stores and specialty shops. I can get away with some 32Cs in a pinch.

Where do you find these sizes??? My SIL is large busted but very small around. She could use these sizes.
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    rdlewis123 wrote: »
    ilfaith wrote: »

And side some have mentioned bra size, I am a 30D...actually, I can wear a 28DD...but they are much harder to find. Even 30D is rare outside higher-end department stores and specialty shops. I can get away with some 32Cs in a pinch.

Where do you find these sizes??? My SIL is large busted but very small around. She could use these sizes.

I find 28s at a specialty lingerie shop near my home or order known brands/styles online. I like to support the specialty shop, so I try to shop there. Amazon has several brands that come in 28 and 30 bands. Just check that it's fulfilled by Amazon and offers free returns. Also, I find that the UK has a broader range of sizes easily available and at much cheaper prices than in the US, so I try to pick some up when I'm there visiting family.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'1.5" and maintaining at around 120. I use a Fitbit Charge, which is much more accurate, I think, than what MFP gives me for maintenance. MFP was giving me around 1500+ and then adding exercise which is a huge amount -- sometimes almost 2000 calories (I'd definitely gain eating that much), while the Fitbit gives me around 1600 on a day when I exercise moderately (a 2 mile+ walk) and only around 1200 if I'm just sitting around, so I've set a base level with MFP of 1088, which is my BMR and have the fitbit sync the exercise calories. This gives me a pretty accurate number on MFP, or one that's within 100 or so of the fitbit. I'm trying to do a recomp, which is building muscle, so I don't want to be at a deficit. I'm bigger than a lot of the gals who have posted. At 105, I would be really skinny and I don't want to go that low. I have no problem buying clothes. I have big feet for my height (7.5 or 8) and average bust (34-36C), and big shoulders. I have found Ann Taylor has good petite things (their pants always fit me), and most of the better jeans are now in petites. It's much different from 20-30 years ago where I had to hem everything.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @rdlewis123, just checked your profile to see where you are located, still don't know, but great work on your weight loss, and big hugs for your inspiration.

Anyway, back to bras, here is a list of makes and some USA stores. I think everything is on line, and some through amazon.
    Fit Fully Yours - a UK brand.
    Panache
    Freya
    Curvy Kate
    Walcoal- amazon
    herroom.com
    Nordstrom- store USA
    Dillard's - store USA

Hope that helps.
    Cheers, h.
  • rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thank you @middlehaitch!! I will look into these. Dillard's has been her go to but they are still too big around.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ive had good luck with Victoria's Secret for bras and swim suits. I'm 5'3 and 119, but have an hourglass figure. I also found a good tailor. I just ignore length. I also love modcloth.com--SUCH cute dresses! :smiley:

I'm hypothyroid and am set to 1350 a day. I usually eat back my exercise calories and am usually between 1500-1600. I've been in maintenance for about a year.