HELP! Trying to bring my blood pressure down.

Options
I'm wanting to bring my blood pressure down but I'm not sure how. I looked for a high blood pressure group but couldn't find one. I want to try the natural way before I take meds or agree to surgery. (I also have a heart murmur) there's nothing structurally wrong with my heart so exercise is okay. Any tips would be amazing! Thank you!

Replies

• KristaJeanMFP
    KristaJeanMFP Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Thanks for the tips! I really don't like the idea of taking beta blockers and I want to try it myself before relying on meds.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Reduce salt
    Reduce your over all weight
    Add in a daily walk, try to increase the pace
    Stop smoking and drinking
    Reduce stress
    Cut back on caffeine
    Add a portion of whole grains
    Add a wide variety of vegetables- Beetroot has been linked as a good one to have every few days
    Monitor your blood pressure and get support, just because you don't want to take medications doesn't mean you shouldn't get monitored and get advice from a Dr.

Good luck with your journey :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    KristaMil wrote: »
    I'm wanting to bring my blood pressure down but I'm not sure how. I looked for a high blood pressure group but couldn't find one. I want to try the natural way before I take meds or agree to surgery. (I also have a heart murmur) there's nothing structurally wrong with my heart so exercise is okay. Any tips would be amazing! Thank you!

Avoid salt completely. Do not add salt at all when cooking, and check labels to avoid foods high in sodium (this will mean that most pre-packaged foods are off limits). Avoid also food that is usually salty, e.g. many cheeses, processed meats etc.
    Lose weight.
    Add exercuse.
    Avoid too much alcohol.
    Quit smoking if you are a smoker.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Actually, there's indications that salt really doesn't raise blood pressure as much as previously thought. I don't think it's a definitive answer yet, but I wouldn't say you have to cut out all salt. You need some sodium and iodine in your diet, and table salt is an easy way to add it. What I would do is lower over all sodium intake, which means paying attention to nutrition info labels. You'd be surprised how much sodium is in a lot of packaged foods. Not saying don't eat packaged foods, but pay attention to what's in them. I'm not sure what the minimum you need is, might talk to your doctor about that.

Lose weight and adding exercise are going to be your biggest things to do right now. Both will help you out in other ways, not just lowering your blood pressure! Get a blood pressure cuff for home and keep a log of readings for your doctor.

ETA the link to the study i was referring to: http://ajh.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/09/03/ajh.hpu164
  • HowlinAl
    HowlinAl Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure returned to normal after about 75lbs or so of weight loss. No more bp meds for this cat.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    KristaMil wrote: »

I hope you are doing this under doctor's supervision. Even though I have reduced my weight by about 50 lbs, cut out excessive salt use, changed my diet, etc., mine did now lower to the point where I can medicine free. My doctor said I am doing everything right but in my case it is most likely hereditary. Good luck.

• eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    OP, you can reach your own conclusions regarding sodium intake (I would reduce it). Do monitor your BP, and get informed about the signs of problems that demand immediate medical attention. In addition you can include in your diet potassium rich foods (a quick search on self nutrition data can give you a variety of foods that are rich in potassium). Good luck!
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I started at 150 lbs and now at 100 lbs. I am a 4'11' 53 year old lady that had been taking blood pressure medicine for over 10 years. I exercised and ate at a calorie deficit. After I lost 50 lbs, I logged my blood pressure twice a day in my food log notes for 2 weeks on my medicine and 2 weeks off my medicine. I came to my Dr. apt with a print out of my food diary, with my blood pressure readings. I am now officially off all prescription medication and am no longer hypertensive.
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When my doc was concerned about my bp (it was crazy high at his office), I began monitoring at home with our own device 2-3 times a day and noted what was going on if it was elevated. For me, the data was interesting. Generally, it started reducing after having lost 10 lbs and increasing my walking. I noticed it would rise when I'd had a diet soda or when I hadn't worn my cpap all night. So, now 20 lbs lighter and walking 45-60 min most days, the bp is no longer hovering in the upper 120s/lower 130s.

So all that to say: track your bp at home; notice trends. Exercise. Lose weight.

Being able to control bp, sugar levels, etc, if very empowering! Best to ya!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure started going down after I Iost my first thirty pounds and I negotiated off all meds after further weight loss from bariatric surgery.

Exercise has reduced my heart rate but does not seem directly related to dropping my blood pressure readings. Significant weight loss did that.

As noted above, however, if you have a hereditary case, you may need medications anyhow.

I also generally follow a salt-reduced diet, which means more home cooking.

http://www.eufic.org/article/en/artid/salt-potassium-blood-control/

You may want to look in to the DASH diet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh, and test your blood pressure regularly. Maybe invest in a home blood pressure cuff. Try testing your blood pressure at different times of the day and doing different activities. Blood pressure spikes and dips all day.

afp20030601p2343-f2.gif
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the advice here, and one other thing: meditation has been shown to improve blood pressure, and it has definitely lowered mine. As little as 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes in the evening can have an impact, and it's free. Can't recommend it highly enough.