Stationary bike question

Options
im on my way to the gym, today is bike day for me with cardio. What is the main benefit of the resistance. Would it be to build leg muscle or just simply burn more calories?

Replies

• melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Both. :smiley: I ride pretty much daily my doctor and advisor has found no more fat/flab on my legs although a little larger than I started out with its all muscle. It makes me feel proud as I just used a paddle boat yesterday around a lake and didn't get off with achy legs. You've got this! Enjoy the ride and the calorie burn.
  • ShawnApple
    ShawnApple Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Yes I am already fortunate to have good leg muscle. Legs carrying around 340 pounds for 2 years gets a lot of strength training haha
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,137 Member
    Options
    Just don't increase the resistance too much ... that can be very hard on the knees. You should feel some resistance, while maintaining a brisk cadence. Try to keep your cadence above 70, preferably above 80, while still pushing against the resistance, not just spinning freely. There's a balance that might take a bit of trial and error to achieve.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Just don't increase the resistance too much ... that can be very hard on the knees. You should feel some resistance, while maintaining a brisk cadence. Try to keep your cadence above 70, preferably above 80, while still pushing against the resistance, not just spinning freely. There's a balance that might take a bit of trial and error to achieve.

^^^ Good advice ^^^

Would add suggest adding in some standing cycling intervals (lower cadence / higher resistance) if you want to add strength. Additional benefit is you get some "saddle relief".

Depending on where you are starting from it takes a long time to build leg muscles with cycling so don't worry your legs won't look like mine overnight. :)
  • ShawnApple
    ShawnApple Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the advice and input! Appreciate it all!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    When I do the spin class we change it up a lot. Low resistance, higher cadence, then up the resistance and maybe to some standing then some sitting, get your heart rate going pretty good, then lower the resistance again, etc. We never maintain the same resistance the entire time.