could use some advice

Options
Hello! I have a question for all you success stories out there. Did you actually consume your daily calorie goal each day? For example, I'm allowed 1610 calories per day, which is no problem, but then I burned 530 calories with Jillian. MFP adds that on to make a possible 2140 cals for the day, but that seems like way too much! I know you can't eat too little or your metabolism will shut down. I'd LOVE to take in the full allowance of calories, but I'm afraid to. You know? Thanks for the help; y'all are GREAT!!!

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Eat most of the exercise calories back.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I try to, at least the afternoon walk, but seriously I eat a lot of food and burn it off lol it's a pain in the butt for the last two days. I always tell people to drink their calories if you're close to 1200 and not hungry...but I haven't been...I have eaten 1600 calories in food, and then burn off everything but 800 calories...it's frustrating...but yeah, just stay above 1200, what ever you have to eat or drink to get you there is up to you...
  • lesliefm
    lesliefm Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Eat at least half of your exercise calories.
  • reneeeiseline
    Options
    You absolutely need to eat all of your required calories daily. Your exercise calories are another story. Your body needs enough fuel or it shuts down your metabolism - it feels like it is starving. I usually choose about half of my exercise calories - that gives me a bit of extra weight loss, but I am not sending my body into starvation mode.
    Believe it or not, as you lose weight and get into better shape you actually need more calories to maintain and not gain - it is weird, but it is the truth.
    Don't help your body turn off - turn it on! Another quick hint, eat at least 100 calories within 1 hour of rising - it jump starts your metabolism for the day.
    My name is wendysworld13. on my friends mfp right now
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Do you have a HRM? If you don't, and the calorie burns are estimates, I'd eat probably only about half of them back just to be safe.

If you do, you can safely eat all of them back minus the ones that you would have burned if you were just at rest. So you'll have to do some math first to subtract the ones that you can't eat back.

When you are doing nothing- resting, not exercising, you are still burning calories! A small amount, mind you, but you are. Those calories that you burn throughout the day if you were totally at rest is what makes up your BMR. When MFP calculates how much you need to eat each day in order to lose weight, it is using your BMR.

So what happens when you exercise is you burn more calories- but some of those calories you would have burned anyways just by existing. And since MFP has already accounted for those calories, you don't want to eat them back.

The best way to figure this is out is if you have a HRM, but you can do it from just your BMR too. What you need to do is wear your HRM for 10 minutes while you are just lying around doing nothing. Make sure that nothing happens to get your heart rate up. Don't walk around, don't read/watch something intense, just sit calmly and quietly. At the end of the 10 minutes, see how many calories it says you burned.

Alternatively, if you don't have a HRM, use the BMR tool on MFP and see what it tells you your BMR is. Now, that is over the course of the day, so you will want to break it down to a smaller increment (you can do it in minute intervals or 10 minute intervals). So if you want to do the 10 minute to be consistent, whatever it tells you your BMR is divided by the number of 10 minute intervals in a day (144). Just remember, the BMR tool won't be as accurate as a HRM.

Once you have this number, you can do your workouts as usual. Once you've finished your workouts, this is when it is time for more math.

What the aim of all this is is to subtract the number of calories you would have burned anyways at rest from your total burned during the workout so that you can see exactly how many you should eat back. Take however many minutes you worked out and divide by 10 (since I'm going to stick with the 10 minute theme). So if you worked out for 1 hour, the answer is 6. If you worked out for an uneven number of minutes, don't round up or down, keep the decimal. Then, multiple that number by the number you already figured out that you burn at rest in 10 minutes. Then, subtract that number from the total that you burned working out, and you have how many calories you should eat back.

Here's an example from one of my actual workouts. According to my HRM, I burn between 17 and 19 calories every 10 minutes at rest (you can do this over the course of a few days to get the most accurate number and then average them), so we'll say 18 (average).

I worked out for: 33 minutes. My HRM said I burned: 282 calories.

33 / 10 = 3.3
    3.3 * 18 = 59.4
    282 - 59.4 = 222.6

So you eat back 222 calories (at this point, you can round).

If I were to eat back all 282 calories, I'd actually be over my calories for the day by 60.

My theory is that most people who claim they can't eat back their exercise calories and still lose weight are actually doing it wrong. If you don't do these calculations, you WILL be overeating when you exercise!

The way I like to do it is to log as exercise what my HRM said I burned, but then "quick add" the calories that I subtract, so that I know I can't eat them. You could just subtract them from the total burned calorie amount and log it that way too, though.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!