help! make my thigh muscles stop hurting!

Options
lilRicki
lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
Ok so I know I'm working extra hard lately, but my thighs really hurt...how can I stop the muscle soreness quick? I have squats and lunges tonight, and I can barely move them after my walk today. I know the basics "stretching, massage, etc" but I need something that will make them feel better.

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    You can try a heating pad to help relax the muscles.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    My favorite solution: after you work out, take a hot bath with epsom salts. The following day, you might still be sore, but not AS sore as if you didn't take that bath.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    a bath of ice is meant to help, but ive never tried it lol:smile:
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Potassium helps with muscle cramps. Bananas and sweet potatoes are great sources!
  • CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Ok so I know I'm working extra hard lately, but my thighs really hurt...how can I stop the muscle soreness quick? I have squats and lunges tonight, and I can barely move them after my walk today. I know the basics "stretching, massage, etc" but I need something that will make them feel better.
    u eating right? but u need to back off.. u gonna hurt ur self if it hurts that bad to move.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I agree with the potassium thing. Raisins are another source good for muscle pain.
  • prof_smartypants
    Options
    Take some anti-inflammatories (aleve; advil). Heat before working out; ice after.
  • wigglentwink
    wigglentwink Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    a bath of ice is meant to help, but ive never tried it lol:smile:

Only if you'll get in it! :)
  • lilRicki
    Options
    u eating right? but u need to back off.. u gonna hurt ur self if it hurts that bad to move.

yeah I'm eating awesome...I'm just THAT out of shape and I keep getting my @ss handed to me at the gym. It's from walking honestly. I usually use the elypticall at the gym, but walking for 45 minutes a day outside is surprisingly hard on the legs...plus the normal gym routine. I am not so hurt that I want to back off, I just want the soreness to stop so I can do a decent lunge tonight...
  • duke520
    duke520 Posts: 30
    Options
    Bananas, Motrin, and more leg exercises. And no more milk! Lactic acid being released is what is causing you pain. Do your leg workout tonight as much as you can. Fight through it. Work out the toxins within your muscles. Do another leg work out 2-4 days later. My first leg workout with my trainer was on a Thursday. Couldn't walk until Sunday. Monday was the same workout and no more lingering soreness. Do work kid.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    Bananas, Motrin, and more leg exercises. And no more milk! Lactic acid being released is what is causing you pain. Do your leg workout tonight as much as you can. Fight through it. Work out the toxins within your muscles. Do another leg work out 2-4 days later. My first leg workout with my trainer was on a Thursday. Couldn't walk until Sunday. Monday was the same workout and no more lingering soreness. Do work kid.

lol I don't eat dairy...any dairy...I drink 1 cup of almond milk in the morning for calcium. and I HATE bananas, but the motrin sounds good, I'll try that...and yeah, I knew I should just suck it up and push through it, I know it's not an injury, just soreness...damn I hate squats!
  • FatesPhynix
    Options
    Thanks for this question! I did a workout on Tuesday that was mainly lower body cardio and I can walk but trying to sit down or stand up is just plain painful. I've been eating bananas, increasing water intake and no dairy. Have tried the hot soak in tub along with Aleve. Have another class today which is supposed to be upper body but I know the instructor will throw in cardio and lower as well. Just have to burn through it!
  • fittraier
    Options
    buy a foam roller! it is my best thing after tough workout, and long runs. I roll on it on my quads, hams, calves, IT band (outer thigh).
    could be an alignment issue.