Eating large amount of fat

Options
Hi everyone. I am new. I am 5"4', 111is lbs, work out about 7 hrs/week

I recently had to go on a new diet to cure my leaky gut. The diet is similar to the low-carb diet (I only eat eggs, meat, almonds, green veggies, and coconut milk.)

On this diet, I consume btw 150 and 280gr of fat daily, also going over my protein allowence. Mainly, because of the little choice that I have.

The app said that I week gain 20 lbs soon if I continue eating like that.

It's that true? I don't eat carbs at all so how could that be?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Because protein and fats have calories.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You gain by eating more calories than you burn, not by eating carbs.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Because protein and fats have calories.

In fact fat has over double the calories per gram of protein or carbs. Dr Atkins claimed it was possible to eat 5000 calories of fat a day, lie in bed, and not gain weight (so long as you had no carbs) - he never proved this though (because it's bunk).

• FainaShpiler
    FainaShpiler Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well... I tried a version of this diet without logging anything and I actually lost a few lbs... But now that I am tracking, I am a bit scared
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    OP, you gain weight by eating in a calorie surplus. Just set MFP to maintain weight, enter your food and hit your macros appropriately.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    leaky gut u should go for bone broth as well ...
  • FainaShpiler
    FainaShpiler Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    OP, you gain weight by eating in a calorie surplus. Just set MFP to maintain weight, enter your food and hit your macros appropriately.

I am so new at these - I don't really know what mfp is or what macros are. My diet is also REALLY limited so I can't even snack on anything lightly caloric

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    MFP = my fitness pal. Macros are protein/fat/ carbs
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fat and protein are both caloric. Where is your gut leaking?
  • tracoleman99
    tracoleman99 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    MFP has default settings which are low. It focuses on both calories and macros, so adjust your settings under "Goals."
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hit your calories and you should do fine. My body wants to gain weight if I have over 40% of my calories from carbs. It has never complained about fat or protein. Too much fat and it can be hard on your heart and circulatory system. Too much protein can be tough on your kidneys. You want some reasonable balance.

Why did you decide to do this particular diet instead of just finding a more diverse diet with lower carbs and higher protein and macros? My son is going to start leaky gut treatment next week under the care of a functional medicine MD. But they aren't going about it that way.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am new. I am 5"4', 111is lbs, work out about 7 hrs/week

I recently had to go on a new diet to cure my leaky gut. The diet is similar to the low-carb diet (I only eat eggs, meat, almonds, green veggies, and coconut milk.)

On this diet, I consume btw 150 and 280gr of fat daily, also going over my protein allowence. Mainly, because of the little choice that I have.

The app said that I week gain 20 lbs soon if I continue eating like that.

It's that true? I don't eat carbs at all so how could that be?

@FainaShpiler software can guess at future weights but the scales will not lie to you. :)

Since you are only 111 pounds weight is not a health concern but we know a leaking gut can kill over time. Work with your healthcare team to get your gut fixed before you get cancer or worse would be my thought.

My leaky gut/IBS was current six months after I left off all grains and most all sugars and kept carbs <50 grams a day to manage my pain level by diet only. It is a very high fat Way Of Eating for me now. 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat. On this diet I have to eat over 3000 calories a day to gain weight. I have been doing this WOE for over a year now.

Best of success in recovering your gut health before it is too late to work.