Thyroid/Hormone issues anyone?

Options
I was diagnosed a while ago as being hypothyroid but I have not had blood drawn in a while. I do feel as though I have a thyroid problem seeing as for the last two years I worked in a super busy restaurant and was on my feet for 7-12 hours a day and sweating and not eating much and didn't lose a pound. Awful!
Also my mom had fibroid tumors and my sister has PCOS and I am 31 and I fear there may be something going on. Can anyone tell me their experience with hormonal or thyroid issues and how you have lost weight?
Thanks!!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you have a diagnosed thyroid problem, you need to find an endocrinologist, take your meds and keep up with your approintments. For life. It will not go away on its own, it needs at first regular checks and adjustments every few months if not weeks, and then a check every 1-2 years, best case scenario.
    Once your thyroid hormones are back to normal, and you have found the right dosage of medication, then you lose weight like everyone else.
    But if you are not properly medicated, weight gain is the least of your problems, there are far worse things that come with an untreated thyroid problem.
    So get an appointment, and get this under control.
  • Lgard77
    Lgard77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh god..well you just scared the crap out of me but thank you for being so honest about it.
  • Lookin4TheNewMe
    Lookin4TheNewMe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Lgard77, a few years back a doctor I use to work for did bloodwork for me and told me I have hypothyroidism, and gave me synthroid pills. I took them for like 2 weeks then stopped on my own , only because I didn't like to take pills and was young. Years later I'm now at my heaviest 295 lbs at 5'2, that is so not good. Do last week I went to see a endocrinologist for the first time, thyroid levels were normal thank God. Eventhough its harmone and it fluctiates, but I have decided this is my chance to put in the work and start my journey with what I've desired for so long Weight Loss.

Good luck.
  • MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    Options
    get to a doctor to start treatment. it has a big result on how you lose weight and keep it off. all you take is one pill a day
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    My story is long, but the upshot is that I don't have a working thyroid or a working pituitary gland. Some of this is genetic (hypothyroidism, PCOS) and some of it is due to a brain aneurysm and damage from multiple brain surgeries.

I've still managed to lose/maintain 90 pounds.

I second the advice to get a solid diagnosis from an endocrinologist (not a GP, family doctor or any other flavor of generalist) and to be absolutely religious in taking your medications. Having a thyroid problem and not taking medication can lead to psychosis--seriously, you MUST take that tiny pill every day. It's easy, it's inexpensive and you would be silly not to do it.

You will probably find that some combination of more/more intense exercise and lowering your carbohydrate intake is also important. How hard you need to work at either of those things will depend on your particular body.
  • Lgard77
    Lgard77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate any input. I will make an appointment ASAP.