low carb is it necessary

Options
Hi friends I am on mfp from past 55 days I lost 3 kgs .I am a south Indian .our staple food is rice.occasionally I do have millets but mainly rice because other cereals doesn't suit me.I am 59 years female.even raw vegeies is a problem.any other indian friends ?my question is can we eat the carbs which are our goal ?or do we eat lesser carbs than the goal? Can anyone guide me please?

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Low carb is NOT necessary unless you have a medical reason to.

You CAN eat the things you enjoy, just smaller portions of them.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat enough protein. Also fat and oils.
    Carbs do not matter one way or another. Eat them.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Low carb is not necessary to weight loss, but there is nothing wrong with it. Some people who do low carb find it helps lessen hunger, thereby helping them keep a calorie deficit.

No diet is special as to weight loss, you just have to find what works for you. :)
  • anandhi430
    anandhi430 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you friends so much.I am happy my doubt is cleared.
  • asteriskthat
    asteriskthat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just came to agree with what everyone else has posted: low-carb isn't necessary to lose weight. I haven't changed my diet much at all; I just eat less than before.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Low carb is NOT necessary unless you have a medical reason to.

You CAN eat the things you enjoy, just smaller portions of them.

Yes!

That having been said, you CAN shift to a lower or moderate-carb diet even if you come from a high-carb food culture. Rice and breads are essential in my food culture, but I've managed to find different ways to eat on a daily basis, saving heavier-carb foods for the very rare special occasions and carefully portioning the grains that I do eat. Increasing vegetable intake is key. I have several medical reasons for doing so/no other choice.

Whether or not you are going to be able to lower carbs on an Indian diet will depend a lot on whether or not you are a vegetarian.
  • anandhi430
    Options
    Thks azulvioleta6, I do have reduced my carb intake .I am vegetarian I don't eat eggs also.I take more portion of vegetables than the grains.being a vegetarian I dont get much of protein and i reach my carb goal daily with rice and roti , ie indian bread.I do want to try quionao and see if I can increase my protein level.thks once again for your guidance.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    anandhi430 wrote: »
    Thks azulvioleta6, I do have reduced my carb intake .I am vegetarian I don't eat eggs also.I take more portion of vegetables than the grains.being a vegetarian I dont get much of protein and i reach my carb goal daily with rice and roti , ie indian bread.I do want to try quionao and see if I can increase my protein level.thks once again for your guidance.

I think you'll enjoy quinoa. It is so delicious, and you can mix it with vegetables, or tofu or even gee if you so choose. I usually use some chicken stock to cook my quinoa in, but being vegetarian you can use some veggie broth if you want.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Low carb isn't necessary but so many carbs have high calorie density so I've cut back.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Not for weight loss! I eat an exceptionally high-carb diet and have lost nearly 100 pounds, so I know that at least one person can lose weight while eating loads of carbs.

As a vegetarian, you can eat all those lovely fruits and veggies and still lose weight. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm not Indian but when I lived in a vegetarian yoga community and at an ashram (in upstate New York), we had some form of legume available at every meal.

A lot of these foods are familiar to me: http://www.vahrehvah.com/indianfood/high-protein-indian-vegetarian-foods/

I still make kitchari and channa dal.
  • anandhi430
    Options
    Thks all my friends for your valuable suggestions .I will see what works for me .
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    No it's not necessary
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    anandhi430 wrote: »

A lower carb diet as a vegetarian is pretty impossible since the things that bring you protein also come with carbs. You certainly can focus on getting quality and satiety from the carbs that you consume though. For example, brown rice is more filling and nutritious than most white breads, even though a serving might have similar macros.

Quinoa is wonderful, but be aware that the proper portion is quite small and that quinoa is fairly high in carbs. Always rinse it before cooking, even if the package says that it is pre-rinsed. Here are some good instructions for making plain quinoa:

thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-quinoa-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-63344

In the Andes, quinoa is often served with potatoes...over a plate of white rice. Not low carb! Another authentic thing that you could do with it is to throw it into a soup. It's very nice in a veggie soup with lots of oregano.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I eat high carb low fat and I consistently lose. No low carb isn't necessary.
  • anandhi430
    Options
    Thk u all.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Carbs DO MATTER. EAT EITHER low carb high fat OR high carb low fat, But do not EAT HIGH CARB UNLESS DOING LOW FAT.