Binge eating

Options
I do so well and know exactly what i should be doing to be fit and healthy. I grew up malnourished then in high school became anorexic then turned to health and body building and fitness training in my late teens early twenties. Life turned upside down again when i found myself in a horrible marriage w an at risk pregnancy on bed rest and alone. Now 15 years later, i cant seem to shut off the binge.
Honestly, i think i am writing this in order to get moral support from people who have been through somewhat the same thing. Any takers to be my sounding board when the cravings call?!?

Replies

• AnaPaulaKayser
    AnaPaulaKayser Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I tend to binge eat if I stay up late...
    So, my goal is to go to bed early every day.
  • IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    *kitten* dude, I know exactly what you're talking about. Everything tells you not to do it and you know not to do it but you still pull the trigger. I'm no where near close to the solution but I learned that binge eating is mental disorder rather than a physical disorder. You have to control your mind, accept that you're having thoughts about binge eating but don't accept those thoughts.
  • Teejxoxo
    Teejxoxo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this may be lost on you but i cant get this sound bite out of my head now lol . "Mind control to Major Tom...." .
    Oh boy, i believe your right.
  • Teejxoxo
    Teejxoxo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    GrahamSS wrote: »
    Just have a plan, write it down and stick to it. Something simple like drink a pint of water and go for a walk for half an hour. You only need to crack it a few times and you are free. Think of a plan, stick to it and suceed. Good luck. Graham.

Def gonna do this. Writing it down is probably best for me.
  • becknomad
    becknomad Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have same problems. I have been doing MFP for 6-7 weeks and have lost 16 lbs. everything was going smooth and then today I was stressed and I ate 8 toll house cookies before I knew what I was doing. I do think that my head is still in the game and I know this is a journey that will be bound to have some lows. But I know I am on the right path and just because I messed up today doesn't mean I should give up. (When I don't mess up and get a binge craving I chew gum, or go outside, or drink water, or buy something...) when I get a binge craving it comes from wanting to give something to myself because I feel depleted. Good luck to you, tomorrow is a new day!
  • IconStillFree
    Options
    becknomad wrote: »
    I have same problems. I have been doing MFP for 6-7 weeks and have lost 16 lbs. everything was going smooth and then today I was stressed and I ate 8 toll house cookies before I knew what I was doing. I do think that my head is still in the game and I know this is a journey that will be bound to have some lows. But I know I am on the right path and just because I messed up today doesn't mean I should give up. (When I don't mess up and get a binge craving I chew gum, or go outside, or drink water, or buy something...) when I get a binge craving it comes from wanting to give something to myself because I feel depleted. Good luck to you, tomorrow is a new day!

Hey stay strong and if you ever feel like you messed up, just know that I gained 16 pounds in 22 days. Hopefully it'll make you feel a little better lol
  • suzannep281
    suzannep281 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I ate within my calories today and then tonight I went 117 calories off the reservation! Now I am experiencing how over full feels like again. I do not like the feeling! Lesson learned! Just found out yesterday that I had lost 8 lbs. in just 18 days.....why did I sabotage myself?
  • IconStillFree
    Options
    I ate within my calories today and then tonight I went 117 calories off the reservation! Now I am experiencing how over full feels like again. I do not like the feeling! Lesson learned! Just found out yesterday that I had lost 8 lbs. in just 18 days.....why did I sabotage myself?

Don't worry 117 calories isn't bad. Look forward, the only way the past can hurt is if you look backwardss
  • tracoleman99
    tracoleman99 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    GrahamSS wrote: »
    Just have a plan, write it down and stick to it. Something simple like drink a pint of water and go for a walk for half an hour. You only need to crack it a few times and you are free. Think of a plan, stick to it and succeed.

It happens. I've lost 85 lbs and I still have times when I binge. When it happens, I say, "Ok, whoa, what are you doing?" Best thing is to remove access, as much as possible so it doesn't continue to plague you. Eating a couple extra toll house cookies on one day isn't going to completely derail your efforts. The key is to get back on the wagon, to say, "Why am I doing this?" Stick to your goals and don't let temporary defeats derail your overall goals, effort and achievement. Make sure you have enough healthy options available so you're not easily tempted.

http://traceyfit.blogspot.com

• Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    If I go over the top, I make myself log it - every calorie (even if you are guessing). The evidence must remain, so that you cannot pretend it never happened. I can look back on my diary and I have to face up to those moments and own them - the days where I ate twice or 3 times my calorie allowance. Building accountability works for me. I no longer do things mindlessly because I have to always account for them like the adult I am.

I am not hating myself or beating myself up - but I am OWING what I did and learning from it.
  • bearondiet
    bearondiet Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to be extremely thin too. Until grade 5. Then I started having extra snacks late evenings. Then I started to gain weights. Today? I am not extremely thin. I want to get back to that weight.