Is the Universe Against Me?

Options
blink1021
blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
Whenever my day seems to be going really well something or someone throws a curveball. Today I was so motivated having a good day starting off with my food on the right path and then it happened. Some random person walks in to the office with a tray full of bagels and cream cheese. These were not your grocery store stale bagels these were from an actual bakery and fresh. Of course they laid the tray down on the empty desk which happens to be the desk in front of mine. Keep in mind in my office I am usually the only one there. The owner and another employee are in there for may be three hours per day then three other employees come will be in in the morning and then again in the afternoon. We are a small company so its not like there is a breakroom to take them to. So after an hour of staring at them I decided to call my husband at least if I am talking I am not eating. I tell him what is going on and he says "I love this bakery bring me home one". Seriously now he wants me to touch them to bring them home for him. I finally cleared off the top of a filing cabinet out of my line of sight and put the tray there. Of course the guys come in and start shoving them down their throats with mounds of cream cheese. I took that as my cue to take my lunch break and leave the office. I know it was not that nice girl's fault who brought them in as a thank you its my ow personal demons, but I just feel like whenever things are going well the universe throws an obstacle in my way. I wish they had brought donuts those I can resist I am not much of a sweets kind of person.

Replies

• jenniefromtherock
    jenniefromtherock Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I don't know if I would have been as strong as you! Bagels and cream cheese is my favorite!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    (hugs) the universe is not out to get you. It's just life that people will bring temptations into your general area. It's part of learning to be healthier that you have to know only YOU decide what goes into your body. I think you did great today! I would have "forgotten" to take one home ;)

And the truth is that if it's something you really really love sometimes it's okay to just have one (or better, half of one).
  • jenjenlv
    jenjenlv Posts: 42
    Options
    Nothing in life, which is worth attaining, will come easily. You've got to work hard!! You've gotta work for it and want it enough to keep producing that sweat!! To keep resisting those temptations and those curve balls... and in the end, the sweat of your back will be glory!! You can do this!! YOU CAN GET THERE!! :)(:
  • merrycat
    merrycat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What doesn't kill you just makes you stronger. So I guess the Universe is just trying to make you stronger? LOL!
  • radioloren
    radioloren Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Omg! I totally get where you are coming from!!! Get this...back in January I started Weight Watchers, day 2 into it, Pizzeria Uno's stopped by my work and dropped off food! (This is a somewhat regular occurrence, I work for a radio station, and clients will sometimes bring food in hopes that we mention it on air.) I ate one piece of pizza that day and thought to myself (ha! you can't get meeeee!!!!) After about 2 months of WW, I got frustrated and got off track....now skip ahead to May....I join MFP, get really motivated again and I go to work...2nd day trying my new diet....boom, Applebee's brings food to the station!!! Argh!!! I cannot win!! Thankfully this time it was their soup, salad and bread lunch, so I had 1/2 a salad, no soup, and 1 bite of the breadstick (only cause it wasn't very tasty, so I decided to not waste calories on it)....so again, I tried like heck to avoid eating the junk that comes my way as soon as I start a new diet lol. It's the world's way of testing us I suppose....ugh, it's hard, but we gotta get through!!!! :D
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Well, it's hardly the universe - everything is temptation eventually. ;) It's learning the power of saying 'no' that makes our diets (or rather, our new eating regimens) worth the effort.

Just as I can look at a pretty young thing and say "Nope, sorry - I'm happily married", I am learning to say to that bagel "Nope, sorry - I'm happily healthy". Just like any new habit, it's tough at first - but gets stronger with repetition.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    As I am typing now, my family came over and brought pizza, which they are eating.....and they also brought over ice cream, which they will eat afterwards.....pizza and icecream???? Cmon now, don't kill me! So i get to munch on my salad later on and imagine its a nice big peice of pizza.....so I feel your pain girl!
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    you can do it! Im having a beer! :0 oh dear
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    But you did it. Look at you. You are strong, and this won't be this way forever!
  • blink1021
    Options
    It sounds like my day at work. Our customers think that they need to say thank you with food. A card would do just fine or instead of food they could give us discounts off their services. I deal a lot with commercial businesses and I wouldn't mind a discount for an oil change or a free car wash or something right?
  • blink1021
    Options
    A friend of mine said it the best 1 bagel can be equivalent to 5 slices of bread. When she said that my stomach started turning and I was happy to just eat my greek yogurt.
  • blink1021
    Options
    As I am typing now, my family came over and brought pizza, which they are eating.....and they also brought over ice cream, which they will eat afterwards.....pizza and icecream???? Cmon now, don't kill me! So i get to munch on my salad later on and imagine its a nice big peice of pizza.....so I feel your pain girl!

I don't know ice cream is my achilles heel. I would probably divorce my husband if he brought that into the home :) (JOKE).