Tips for taming post exercise hunger

Options
Hey all. I'm a dietitian but even dietitians need suggestions. I get super hungry on cardio days. The worst my weekly 50 mile bike ride. Trying not to eat all my exercise calories.

What does everyone eat after tons of cardio (1-4 hours) that helps keep them full?

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Protein does it every time...
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter spread over a waffle. chased down with 2 scoops of protein
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Peanut butter spread over a waffle. chased down with 2 scoops of protein

So close to my favorite! Rolled up crepes (normal or with protein powder) with peanut butter and honey. Also hazelnut butter and maple is amazing. I only make this when I go on a long hike or bike ride.

Another trick is to take smaller bites. Eating the crepe in three bites doesn't seem to satisfy my hunger, yet eating it in twelve does... ;)
  • nickynoneck83
    nickynoneck83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Protein & water most hunger is dehydration.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    The key for me is to eat something substantial, preferably a full meal, as soon as possible after the workout. At least 300-400 calories with a good dose of protein and carbs. That was the only thing that kept me away the "run-gries" when I was marathon training.
  • leahlou622
    leahlou622 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I usually eat 100g of protein or more per day so I have that covered. I will try to work in the water thing before eating more often.