Losing weight without exercise...injury

Options
Trying to lose weight has been an absolute nightmare for me. I have to have a much more drastic deficit than MFP predicts and exercise to lose anything. I have fought for every single ounce. I either rowed on a rowing machine or used the elliptical, and I do lift weights once a week.

I have recurrent tendonitis in both feet so even the elliptical does not come without pain. This weekend, I sprained my ankle, although I don't know how. I'm in a hard brace and the doctor wants me off weight bearing exercise for 6 weeks. I can't get the ankle flexion needed for rowing in the hard brace. I might be able to do that in a couple of weeks. I'm not supposed to be doing a lot of walking, and weight lifting is questionable.

I do not have access to a pool, and I loathe riding a stationary bike.

I'm absolutely screwed. Any suggestions aside for trying to stick to a large calorie deficit?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't need to have a much larger calorie deficit to lose weight. How accurate are you with your logging? Do you weigh everything? Can you open your diary? Have you had your thyroid checked?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Please do change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • MikeLeTwigg
    MikeLeTwigg Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    you will lose weight regardless of exercise if you are in deficit.

If your normal activity level requires 2700 calories and you eat 2200 calories then you will lose approx 2kg (roughly 4 pounds) per month on average, without any additional exercise.
  • carr3107
    carr3107 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do weigh everything, aside from not tracking over the weekend because I was so frustrated.

I've had RMR testing and my thyroid was checked last year. The RMR came up with about 100 calories less than most of the calculators project.

I'm 5'5" and only have about 15 lbs to lose, so I'm not working with a lot to start with.

MFP puts my calorie goal for a .5 lb weight loss at 1560. I have them set at 1420 in line with the RMR testing. I have a fitbit set to sedentary. I usually pick up about 600 calories or more for activity. I eat back about 100-150 of those, because, frankly, I'm hungry. I end up with a net calorie count of roughly 1550, with mfp/fitbit putting my TDEE at 1950-2000 (or more on some days). I'm losing a half pound or less on a 400-500 calorie deficit.

Honestly, I'm not interested in revisiting my calorie math. It ends with people insisting I'm lying about weighing my food. Apparently, I am some sort of exception to the laws of thermodynamics, and it is what it is.

If my activity drops to truly sedentary, I'm looking at getting 1300 calories to see any weight loss. I find that darn near impossible to stick to. Suggestions?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I want to look at your diary to see your carbs:fat:protein ratios but feel free to calculate them yourself and post them here or PM them to me. Or, you can send me a code to look at your diary and I promise I won't tell you you are lying about weighing your food or give you a hard time about this past weekend :smiley:
  • carr3107
    Options
    50:27:23 on average. I usually end up a little under on fat because I eat more fruit/vegetables than meat. I'm lactose-intolerant but can handle limited amounts of [Greek] yogurt. I'm not adverse to more fat, but have a hard time integrating it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Try to find whatever foods are more satiating for you relative to their calories and eat more of those. If your math and weighing are correct and 1300 is what you need to eat to see any weight loss, then most of what you eat is, above everything but health, probably going to have to be centered on what keeps you full.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    carr3107 wrote: »
    50:27:23 on average. I usually end up a little under on fat because I eat more fruit/vegetables than meat. I'm lactose-intolerant but can handle limited amounts of [Greek] yogurt. I'm not adverse to more fat, but have a hard time integrating it.

See if more protein and less carbs keeps you fuller longer. The magic ratio for me is 40:30:30. Some posters here like @nvmomketo do great on Low Carb High Fat. (LCHF.) She posted her ratios recently but the thread I'm thinking of has disappeared :(
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you want to continue exercising, try scheduling an appointment with a personal trainer. I'm rehabbing from ligament reconstruction in my knee, and my therapist told me to join the Y and work with a trainer on a non-weight bearing routine to build upper body and core strength. I was amazed at the variety of things he taught me to do! For example, I do rows on a free-motion machine, but with my feet on the floor, not on the foot plate. I do see people coming in wearing all kinds of braces, and they spend an hour or so doing what they're allowed to do.

Other members have given you excellent suggestions on balancing your macros differently, accurate logging, etc. Please take their suggestions to heart. They know whereof they speak!

I wish you the best of luck, and let us know how you do.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    There are lots of seated exercise videos on YouTube. You could also look at using the weight machines at the gym.
    You won't get a high calorie burn, but it may help a little. It will help with holding your fitness level.

Cheers, h.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I am 50
    "5.5
    150lbs and lost well over 110lbs
    Intake 1500 calories a day at this moment and losing still.

So there must be something off somewhere.
    opening your diary will help the members here to rule out wrong entry's and or measuring mistakes/errors

95069916.png
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Your post makes it sound like you are just looking for validation that it can't be done.
    A calorie deficit is not dependent on exercise so there is no reason you can't lose fat while not on a exercise regiment.
    Maybe take the 6 weeks your doc wants you to off weight bearing exercise as an opportunity to tighten up your weighing and logging as well as adjusting your macros and food choices to find what keeps you full and satisfied the longest.

Just my opinion but hunger management is far easier when I am not exercising or training.
  • carr3107
    Options
    Top of the list:

Does anyone have tips on a meal plan for a 1300 calorie diet?

Hunger control tips?

Non-weight bearing exercise that has any measurable calorie burn?

I do actually do work with a personal trainer. We'll have to adjust to reduce weight bearing, but given that I'm supposed to minimize walking around, it's going to be a challenge.

Look, I know the deficit I have to have to see any weight loss. It took me a long time to figure it out, and it's not open for debate. No one in their right mind would come here looking for justification that they aren't losing weight.

1500 calories is not a lot. 1300 is even less. These are hard counts to stick to. That's not an excuse, it's a statement of fact. I was, and am, both venting about how hard this has been AND seeking advice from someone who has eaten at those levels. I have lost 5-10 lbs easily before. Not this time.

I am insanely frustrated because weight loss has been a huge struggle for me and every time I try to incorporate exercise, I get sidelined. I do not have normal joints. I have permanent tendonitis in both feet. Going above 7000 steps a day just about guarantees i will have pain. I live with that.

If it was as simple as 3500 calorie deficit equals a pound loss, there would not be 100 people screaming about how it takes time to see results, look for changes in your body, blah, blah, blah. I have found I have to start with the recommended cut and keep cutting until I see some weight loss. I know what my MFP count has to say for me to lose. If I'm undercounting, I am apparently doing it consistently, as that number is constant.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Trying to lose weight has been an absolute nightmare for me. I have to have a much more drastic deficit than MFP predicts and exercise to lose anything. I have fought for every single ounce. I either rowed on a rowing machine or used the elliptical, and I do lift weights once a week.

I have recurrent tendonitis in both feet so even the elliptical does not come without pain. This weekend, I sprained my ankle, although I don't know how. I'm in a hard brace and the doctor wants me off weight bearing exercise for 6 weeks. I can't get the ankle flexion needed for rowing in the hard brace. I might be able to do that in a couple of weeks. I'm not supposed to be doing a lot of walking, and weight lifting is questionable.

I do not have access to a pool, and I loathe riding a stationary bike.

I'm absolutely screwed. Any suggestions aside for trying to stick to a large calorie deficit?

If you think you have to eat a drastic deficit to lose weight, you are probably not weighing food and measuring liquids, therefore eating more than you realize.

You're not screwed unless you allow yourself to be. Weigh your food and log every single thing you eat. Stay within your calorie goals.

What are your stats? How much do you have left to lose?

Finally, do what your doctor says. You want to avoid any further injury.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I want to look at your diary to see your carbs:fat:protein ratios but feel free to calculate them yourself and post them here or PM them to me. Or, you can send me a code to look at your diary and I promise I won't tell you you are lying about weighing your food or give you a hard time about this past weekend :smiley:

Macro division does not matter, the OP will lose weight only if he's in a deficit. He clearly is not.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Your goal is to find a variety of foods you can eat for the rest of your lifethat are satiating for you and wont put you over your calorie goals. My palate and yours are different. I could start listing the things I'd probably do with 1300 calories a day, but if it's not food you'd want to eat then it's a pointless exercise for me.

For example, if I eat brown rice with vegetables and a lean protein with herbs and spices to season it all, I'm pretty satisfied for at least 4 hours. I might splurge for some sauces instead of herbs, like sriracha or wasabi horseradish, but only if it wouldn't take calories away from things that will fill me better (voluminous, low calorie foods)

I'd consider drinking more tea, using pineapple to sweeten it

• Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for extra activity, I'd imagine clapping your hands for maybe 10 minutes every hour is going to burn more calories than not moving your arms at all. I offer this as a suggestion only because it seems like your physical movement is fairly restricted from what I read of your initial post for this thread. Since you're able to communicate electronically, I am making the assumption you have the facility of your arms. Wave your arms around a lot throughout the day if you're looking to add to your general activity, maybe? I don't know how effective that would be overall, but balancing it versus not moving your arms for 10 minutes every hour in terms of physical activity to elevate your heart rate a bit... I don't see how it could hurt.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If you say 1550 is maintenance and 1300 is what it will take to lose but is not sustainable then simply do 1300 every other day or every third day. Sure it will take longer but so what. You only have 15 pounds to lose and it will eventually happen. Just eat at 1300 for as many days as you can per month. The only thing I would be worried about is the fact that if 1500 is your maintenance then you would have to only be eating that for the rest of your life....otherwise you would gain it back.
    I do a high protein diet and find it very filling. 8 oz of protein per meal and a huge pile of vegetables such as broccoli or green beans. You'd be amazed how many green beans are in only 75 calories. Then include a low calorie fruit as a snack in between meals. Check out my diary. It is low in carbs, low in sodium and very filling. It's also easy to prepare. I grill up a bunch of chicken on Sunday and then put them in Tupperwares for each meal. I have 8 oz of salmon a couple of times a week. An 8 oz steak once or twice a week. And the rest is chicken. Everything is on the BBQ so no added butter or oil. All my vegetables are the microwave in a bag type so again no added oil or butter.

• tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    Oh, and for extra activity, I'd imagine clapping your hands for maybe 10 minutes every hour is going to burn more calories than not moving your arms at all. I offer this as a suggestion only because it seems like your physical movement is fairly restricted from what I read of your initial post for this thread. Since you're able to communicate electronically, I am making the assumption you have the facility of your arms. Wave your arms around a lot throughout the day if you're looking to add to your general activity, maybe? I don't know how effective that would be overall, but balancing it versus not moving your arms for 10 minutes every hour in terms of physical activity to elevate your heart rate a bit... I don't see how it could hurt.

You know what, this may seem silly to start with, but actually is not a bad shout. Personally, I am a massive zumba fan and have been doing that for the last 2.5 years, at least once a week, more likely twice a week (on top of other exercise). There are loads of zumba routines on youtube, and most of the time you wave your arms around as much as your legs. My instructor always says that lifting your arms above your chest level increases your heart rate more, and recently I have started using light hand weights during zumba sessions to give myself an additional calorie burn.

Why not try that? Spend some time researching some good zumba/dance workouts on youtube that uses arm movements a lot, grab some light hand weights and go crazy for 40-60 minutes? I bet you'll be sweating 10 mins?

Also, I am not entirely sure if this will work with your condition, but how does yoga or pilates sound? It isn't a massive calorie burn, but it is better than nothing. I am 5'4, 143lbs, female and I burn about 150-200kcals in a 1 hour yoga session.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I do weigh everything, aside from not tracking over the weekend because I was so frustrated.

I've had RMR testing and my thyroid was checked last year. The RMR came up with about 100 calories less than most of the calculators project.

I'm 5'5" and only have about 15 lbs to lose, so I'm not working with a lot to start with.

MFP puts my calorie goal for a .5 lb weight loss at 1560. I have them set at 1420 in line with the RMR testing. I have a fitbit set to sedentary. I usually pick up about 600 calories or more for activity. I eat back about 100-150 of those, because, frankly, I'm hungry. I end up with a net calorie count of roughly 1550, with mfp/fitbit putting my TDEE at 1950-2000 (or more on some days). I'm losing a half pound or less on a 400-500 calorie deficit.

Honestly, I'm not interested in revisiting my calorie math. It ends with people insisting I'm lying about weighing my food. Apparently, I am some sort of exception to the laws of thermodynamics, and it is what it is.

If my activity drops to truly sedentary, I'm looking at getting 1300 calories to see any weight loss. I find that darn near impossible to stick to. Suggestions?

It's very much so math based, especially when you take exercising out of the equation. You can lose weight without exercising - so many people do. If you're legitimately not an individual where you need to burn more calories than you consume to lose weight then there's your answer and you need to see some kind of doctor to help you figure it out. If you are actually one of those individuals who - like the rest of us - needs to burn more than we consume to lose then you are off in your logging. It's that simple. You will lose 1 lb for every 3500 calories. So if you're at a LEGIT deficit of 500/day in a week you will lose around a lb, sometimes more sometimes less depending on whether it's close to your time of the month or if you maybe you ate a little more than you should have.

Also, since you said yourself you only have 15lbs to lose and aren't starting with much your logging and consumption has to be absolutely bang on - you have very little room for error. Almost all of your responses insist you're doing EVERYTHING right and you don't cheat, you don't overeat or anything. If that's actually the case then go see a doctor. No one on here can help you anymore than that.