Wanting to get my fitness back with a bad back

Options
Hi all, I have danced for many many years, always in reasonably good shape, but I quit dancing a couple of years ago due to just not bei able to fit it in with work/kids etc. I have basically put in 3 stone, feel dreadful, lethargic and to make it even better, have an excruciating bad back which I'm guessing is from the extra weight my poor bones are carrying. I'm really wanting to get on some sort of exercise mission to get me back but struggling to know what to do with this back of mine. Any suggestions? xx

Replies

• chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    See your doctor before you do anything, you may have an injury and exercise will only compound it. Once you are cleared, start slow and work you way up. Maybe start with some lifting and cardio. But please see your dr!!
  • kashrich
    kashrich Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    yes certainly see your doctor first before undertaking any exercise. For me, a fifty something woman a stone overweight, no previous exercising and a back/core that tends to be very weak and suddenly go into a spasm every now and then, I find doing gently leg exercises in the swimming pool like treading water, walking up the swiming pool etc has certainly helped start building my core muscles. Its a start, and the water takes the strain and is very supportive. Plus burns quite a few calories.
  • amytorr19
    amytorr19 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    you should definitely speak to your doctor.. but my friend with back problems started one of the beachbody programs and her posture and back problems have improved so much. I can find out what programs if you would like
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, talk with a doc first. But I have a bad back (four bulging discs), and what I've found helpful has been low-impact cardio (such as the elliptical machine or swimming) and Pilates (with appropriate modifications to the movements as necessary. An experienced instructor should be able to help you with that last part.)

Weight lifting is also supposed to be really good for strengthening your core muscles, which helps them support your spine better, so if you find that lifting doesn't aggravate your back, that might good to do.
  • mikeski52
    mikeski52 Posts: 59 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I starting to exercise again a couple years ago after several years of inactivity, and my back pain has subsided, to the point where the infrequent pain I do have is fleeting nowhere near as painful as before, and usually just soreness. After your doctor has cleared you from injuries and whatnot, I'd see a physical trainer, or someone here more knowledgeable than most, about strengthening your core.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    See a doctor and then start with a physical therapist, at least for the exam appointment that checks out your range of motion, imbalances, etc. I know it can be expensive even with insurance, so that's why I let people know that the exam is worth the co-pay even if the weeks of therapy are too expensive.

I have a hideous upper back/neck problem, btw (that turned into a chronic pain condition). I'm able to do more exercise now than I have energy for :) But there are very many exercises and lifts I don't do at all. I'll be happy to give my tips if your doctor says your problem is like mine, but you do have to know what you are dealing with first, definitely.