Need Inspiration

Options
I am going to be a whiny pants for a minute. I have been working out like mad and eating 10 times better for almost a month now and am getting no where. I am trying not to give up, but it is really hard. My brain keeps going back to, I can weight this much and eat what I want and never work out so what is the point of keeping this up if I don't get anywhere. ARG! I can't figure out what I am doing wrong?

Replies

• dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am going to be a whiny pants for a minute. I have been working out like mad and eating 10 times better for almost a month now and am getting no where. I am trying not to give up, but it is really hard. My brain keeps going back to, I can weight this much and eat what I want and never work out so what is the point of keeping this up if I don't get anywhere. ARG! I can't figure out what I am doing wrong?
  • mitstac17
    mitstac17 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You've lost 3 pounds so far right? Don't give up...it will happen! This is the problem for so many people. We need instant gratification and if we don't get it we give up. You have only done it for 1 month - you still lost close to a pound each week which is good! Hang in there! Keep fighting. You'll see...I bet you'll lose two pounds this week and two pounds next week. What does your work out include and are you eating enough - you may be starving yourself which cause your metabolism to decrease!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Well sometimes it doesn't just happen the way we expect it too, I guess some questions need to be answered.

1) what is your diet? Have you talked to a nutritionist about your diet? I know you said your eating better, but what is better? Can you give us a little more info. Then maybe we can offer some suggestions for you.

2)Have you had a body fat % test done before and after?
    Remeber, a lot of people don't loose weight right off the bat because their body is building the muscle they need to perform the new exercises. You won't notice any loss on the scale in this case, but your laying the groundwork for big losses in the future, and an overall healthier life. Also, if you don't know your % then you can measure yourself, and keep track of it. My waist has dropped from a 40 to a 36 Since September, that is a great way to tell. Find a problem spot and measure it once a month or so.

don't be discouraged, if you know your doing everything you can, then it will come, sometimes it takes longer then you want or hoped, but it WILL happen for you.
  • aphall01
    Options
    Well everybody eventually hits this point. It's a plateau, which means you just need to push a little more to get through it. Add a couple reps on to your lifting routine, five minutes on the treadmill, or increase the resistence on the bike without slowing down. Losing a little at a time is a lot healthier than the pounds melting off in just a week or two, which is probably the most frustrating thing about dieting and exercising, because our society is so obsessed with timliness. We want to see results fast, but we just have to be patient and push through. You can do it, and before you know it, you'll be inches smaller! :flowerforyou:
  • throughHisstrength
    Options
    I was in the same boat. I had been doing everything right and then when I would get on the scale nothing. So I quit weighing for about a week or two and just went by how I felt. Also try not to change too much too fast, I think that's just setting yourself up to fail in the long run. Do little things that you know you can stick with. It will happen. I've lost ten pounds already, but I still eat some of the same things as before, I just watch what a portion size really is. Good luck you'll get there!!:happy: :happy:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Keep working on it! Don't stop! I was the same way at the beginning (first month or two) and now I'm noticing that I'm regularly losing 2-3 pounds per week. I even lost 7 lbs when I took a month off over the holidays! If you keep sticking to your portion control, healthy eating habits, and exercise, you'll get used to it and you won't want to eat as much or be lazy. It WILL happen for you, too, as long as you keep on truckin! Come to us whenever you need motivation!
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Mr Banks1850 is right on with his assessment and to add to that women lose weight differently than men so you may need to sit down with your doctor and review your medical history to see if there's another issue that might need to be addressed as well.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong. . .but giving up would be wrong. (in my humble opinion)

THE most important element of losing weight is patience. It takes time. How big is your calorie deficit? If it's too big, you'll stop losing, and become discouraged because you feel so deprived. How honest are you being with your activity and eating recording? Little things can add up.

This is not an overnight process. It's a lifetime of change toward feeling better.:flowerforyou:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel - I was right there earlier this week!! (See my thread "I thought I was doing everything right" in this forum.)

Don't give up! Try to focus on other things besides the scale. If you are eating healthier, think about how much better it is for your body to be eating good food instead of junk. If you are controlling your portions, think about how you are taking control of your eating instead of being controlled by it. If you are exercising, think about the things you're able to do that you couldn't do before. If you have been keeping a commitment to eat right and exercise regularly, think about the pride you can take in fulfilling your promise to yourself.

And think about what is motivating you to lose weight in the first place. Weight shouldn't be an end in itself. Chances are, you have other goals like health, wellness, and self-esteem. Most goals worth having aren't easy - but sticking with it will pay off in the end. Stay strong! Make small daily or weekly goals NOT related to the scale, like avoiding certain food temptations, doing a certain number of reps or minutes of exercise, drinking x glasses of water. Meeting those mini-goals can help you see how you are making progress towards a better lifestyle, regardless of your weight that day.

On the practical side, you might want to take your measurements - muscle takes up less space but more weight than fat, so you could have lost some fat. If you don't have one, consider investing in a kitchen scale to help you get a better idea of your portion sizes. Don't eat less than 1200 calories. Change up your exercise routine. Understand that your weight can fluctuate a lot from day to day.

But most importantly, don't give up!!!