Correcting asymmetrical gains

Options
I've been making some muscle gains over the last couple of years that I've been lifting regularly (3 day split) but I'm starting to notice visibly asymmetrical gains in my biceps (left is smaller) and pectorals (right is smaller). Does it make sense to supplement my normal lifting routine with isolation exercises targeted on the muscles that are lagging in development? If so, where would you fit those exercises into a lifting routine? For example, do the iso bicep exercises on bicep day or do them after 48 hours rest from bicep day?

Also, I'm aware that the imbalanced muscle development might very well have to do with kinks in my form. I'm trying to root out those causes by looking at exercises that allow me to compensate for weakness on one side by shifting more of the effort to the other. In the meantime, my question really concerns how I catch up the muscles to one another.

Replies

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    do you use barbells or dumbbells? If using barbells then switch to dumbbells for a bit. The stronger side might stagnate, but the weaker should catch up. Get someone to check your form too - as you suggest, it could be that.
  • Jollybeard
    Jollybeard Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    do you use barbells or dumbbells? If using barbells then switch to dumbbells for a bit. The stronger side might stagnate, but the weaker should catch up.

I do a mix of barbell and dumbbell work. I take your point, however. The barbell work might very well be where I have an unbalanced effort.

• _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    do you use barbells or dumbbells? If using barbells then switch to dumbbells for a bit. The stronger side might stagnate, but the weaker should catch up. Get someone to check your form too - as you suggest, it could be that.

Pretty much this. Try busting out an extra rep or two on the weaker side for each set with dumbbells. Between iso movements and slightly pushing volume up, you can correct the split. I have the same problem with my triceps; left significantly behind the right. Makes bench awkward.
  • Jollybeard
    Jollybeard Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    _Bropollo_ wrote: »
    Try busting out an extra rep or two on the weaker side for each set with dumbbells. Between iso movements and slightly pushing volume up, you can correct the split.

That's pretty much what I thought might help. The other part of the question is whether there's any particular advantage to doing the extra reps on the same day as the rest of the routine (e.g., extra curls on bicep/back day) or after a period of rest. Maybe it doesn't matter at all - I don't know.

• ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My trainer advised me to go with the Dumbbells or kettlebells instead of the barbell and for the weaker side do double to triple the number of sets as what you do for your stronger side but only until the weaker side catches up then go back to "normal".