Any Bike riders??? What do you ride lookin to buy new bike

Options
Been riding my bike some rode 14 miles yesterday and 14 miles today.. thats the farthest I have ridden at one time...
I ride a walmart MTB on rode, but did ride 1.5 miles through woulds and a gravel path.. MUCH harder then the highway/streets..
what bikes do you guys ride. and where

Replies

• decotterell
    decotterell Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I ride a road bike, a Cannondale. They can be costly, but you can find them on Craig's List for 200.00 to 300.00. They ride great. We have a paved trail where I live, they call it the Greenway. When I ride the whole thing, it's about 14 miles.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    our greenway is short 3 miles I think maybe 2.5 So i ride to the greenway start through to end then to gym... thats 7 miles

today I rode someplace new to an old iron furnace (where they made cannon balls in Civil War) That offroad portion wore me out
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If I were doing it again I wouldn't settle. I think a light frame helps. It sounds like you might benefit from mountain bike tyres.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I would go to your local bike store and talk to them. You may find a decent bike for a good price. Stay away from big box bikes.
  • runshellersrun123
    runshellersrun123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a 16-year-old Trek that's served me well. I prefer my husbands Diamondback though. It rides smoothly and has good shock absorbers.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The key is to figure out what type of riding you will be doing, then buy a bike that suits that type of riding, fits you properly, and is comfortable for your body and riding style. You can spend anywhere from a couple hundred to several thousand dollars depending on what you want.

Just keep in mind that money doesn't buy a better bike. The better bike it the one you ride more. And if that one happens to be reasonably priced, buy it.
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Just keep in mind that money doesn't buy a better bike. The better bike it the one you ride more. And if that one happens to be reasonably priced, buy it.

This is so true. I have a big box store big because it was all I could afford. I have put almost 5,000 miles on it. So buy something you can afford, and ride, ride, ride...
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have a whole garage full of bikes, mostly Trek brand. They are mostly hybrids and road bikes and vary from steel frame, to aluminum frame and carbon fiber frame.

I don't do mountain bike rides but enjoy bike trails and road riding.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    I have a whole garage full of bikes, mostly Trek brand. They are mostly hybrids and road bikes and vary from steel frame, to aluminum frame and carbon fiber frame.

Donations??
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I ride a Trek 7.1FX, an entry level lightweight hybrid. I ride primarily in the city and on paved trails. I have owned cooler bikes, but this one is a workhorse and I keep coming back to it.
  • mtbiker1069
    mtbiker1069 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

+100 to this. In My Opinion, The best bike in the world is the one you ride. Just get out and ride, and ride, and ride. Don't worry about weight, latest designs or purpose built bikes. Just get one that fits, and that you will ride.

As you ride you will start to learn what you really enjoy, then by the time you wear the walmart bike out, you'll know what you want.

Just make sure that the bike fits properly. This will help make it more comfortable and protect you agains over use injuries. There's plenty of bike fit help available on the web.
  • 70chevellegsp
    70chevellegsp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Some of this information is contrary. In all honesty you can't get a bike that fits you properly, has the appropriate quality, and is assembled properly from a big box store. I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't buy from a big box store, but if you do you, most likely, will outgrow it very quickly. That being said, I bought my first mountain bike in 1990 from K-Mart. I rode it for about 2 months before I bent the rear derallier beyond repair. Went to a Schwinn (when you could only get them at a bike shop) and rode it for about a year. Then I stepped up to a Cannondale which was about 7# lighter and had much better components. I still have the Cannondale and a Scott bike that I bought in 1995 and 1996 respectively and am still actively putting miles on them. Each bike was a step up in quality and enjoyment. The moral to the story is that a better bike, will be more reliable, safer, and keep your enjoyment high so you keep riding.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Some of this information is contrary. In all honesty you can't get a bike that fits you properly, has the appropriate quality, and is assembled properly from a big box store. I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't buy from a big box store, but if you do you, most likely, will outgrow it very quickly. That being said, I bought my first mountain bike in 1990 from K-Mart. I rode it for about 2 months before I bent the rear derallier beyond repair. Went to a Schwinn (when you could only get them at a bike shop) and rode it for about a year. Then I stepped up to a Cannondale which was about 7# lighter and had much better components. I still have the Cannondale and a Scott bike that I bought in 1995 and 1996 respectively and am still actively putting miles on them. Each bike was a step up in quality and enjoyment. The moral to the story is that a better bike, will be more reliable, safer, and keep your enjoyment high so you keep riding.

Absolutely, positively, YES!

Many homes have nearly new discount store bikes rusting away because they aren't ridden. The reasons are many, poor quality, poor assembly, improper fit, and malfunctioning systems. Do yourself a favor, go to a local bike shop and buy the bottom $$ level bike if you must, it will still be world's ahead of a discount store bike. I'm partial to Trek but there are many good brands.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    This isn't about brand vs brand. Or lbs vs kmart.

• Barefoot115
    Barefoot115 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Four years ago I bought my "gateway" bike, a Jamis comfort hybrid to kick start my exercise. I would ride it 10-15 miles 4x weekly. I loved riding so much, but began to get frustrated that I really couldn't ride faster than 14 mph as I became more fit. Two years ago I purchased a Fuji hybrid fitness bike, flat bar, road bike tires and started riding up to 20- 40 miles 3 x weekly at a pace of 16-18mph.. Loved that bike! Two weeks ago after much research, I purchased my first road bike off of eBay, a Bianchi Intenso and started clipping in, and my speed and rides have only become faster and more fun.. My point? Ride whatever makes your soul happy. Think about what your fitness and riding goals are. If you are happy with trail riding and you are not concerned with speed or increasing your distance than stick with a good mountain bike. I do honestly believe you will get a better bike if you avoid the big box stores and spend a little more for the quality and proper fitting of a bike purchased through a local bike shop.

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Four years ago I bought my "gateway" bike, a Jamis comfort hybrid to kick start my exercise. I would ride it 10-15 miles 4x weekly. I loved riding so much, but began to get frustrated that I really couldn't ride faster than 14 mph as I became more fit. Two years ago I purchased a Fuji hybrid fitness bike, flat bar, road bike tires and started riding up to 20- 40 miles 3 x weekly at a pace of 16-18mph.. Loved that bike! Two weeks ago after much research, I purchased my first road bike off of eBay, a Bianchi Intenso and started clipping in, and my speed and rides have only become faster and more fun.. My point? Ride whatever makes your soul happy. Think about what your fitness and riding goals are. If you are happy with trail riding and you are not concerned with speed or increasing your distance than stick with a good mountain bike. I do honestly believe you will get a better bike if you avoid the big box stores and spend a little more for the quality and proper fitting of a bike purchased through a local bike shop.

My point exactly about buying what you will ride and enjoy being the most important part.

At some point over the winter or early spring I'll probably buy a mountain bike with a suspended front end. I've got some back issues, and protecting from the harder hits with a front suspension and absorbing seat post make sense rather than pounding my back more than I need. It will probably do the rims a favor as well, since at 185 I'm still no lightweight.

It seems decent road bikes can be readily had used in this area, and I've considered it. But traffic in this area dictates either taking the bike via rack/vehicle to a more suitable area, or rolling the dice with idiot drivers closer in to where I live. Being neither appeals to me (with time being a major factor in one, and living being a major factor in the other) I've decided to just stick to the mountain bike and stay on the bike greenways, paved trails, and be able to do some off road stuff when I want.

I know the riding position, weight, and fatter tires will reduce pace, but TBH around here you can't even come close to a decent pace due to traffic anyway. And for just burning calories and having fun, they all work. For fitness if anything the extra weight and resistance makes me work harder to keep the same speed, so when I knock out some 16-18 MPH miles it's more calorie burn.

For higher speeds and longer distances, it's really all relative. Though top speeds and distances will improve with bikes with better aerodynamic riding position, low rolling resistance, and more ratios, etc, the improvements can be made with any type of bike. With an old box store bike with only 21 ratios and fat knobby tires I can still knock out some quick miles when traffic allows, and have ridden it over 50 miles in a single event.
  • iloveamystery
    iloveamystery Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a Trek Domane 4.3 road bike. It's a fantastic bike. Unfortunately I haven't ridden as much this year as last, but I did do my first metric century this year. I'll keep it until it starts falling apart. I started riding with a Specialized Crosstrail. It was a good bike for beginning since it had been a long time since I had ridden a bike and the fatter, knobbier tires helped me be more comfortable going at speed downhill.

I normally ride the county roads on the outskirts of town. Less traffic to deal with.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I ride road and single track. I have a Giant Propel Advanced for the road and a Giant Trance full squishy for the trails.

• dtsbrown
    dtsbrown Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love my specialized road bike. I highly recommend going to a real bike shop and test riding the bikes. Most bike shops will allow you to take the bike out for several hours to test ride it. Getting properly fitted for a bike is a must and you simply cannot get quality or fitted properly at Walmart.
  • 70chevellegsp
    70chevellegsp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This isn't about brand vs brand. Or lbs vs kmart.

Correct, it's about buying a new bike. Important factors include proper assembly, proper fit, and ride enjoyment. This likely won't be the case buying from a box store. They don't have the staff knowledgeable enough to provide those factors. Now, if you have the ability yourself to do these things, you can also buy online from places like Bikesdirect.com or Airborne.com which are great values if you have the knowledge to assemble and maintain on your own, or have a local bikeshop that is willing to do the work.