Motivation is hard

Options
I just started my journey to change my life style habits this past week. I know it's going to be hard but I have to do it this time. I joined a gym and am now eating healthy. It's hard to find the motivation sometimes to go to the gym or to make healthy decisions while grocery shopping. My support from friends is lacking because they don't share my goal in losing weight. My roommate tends to try and get me to eat unhealthy but I'm determined. I guess I'm just looking for motivation and support on here. Anyway I'm Brittany and currently at 300 pounds. Not proud that I got here but my goal weight is 180. It's gonna be a long journey...

Replies

• Ann_Marie_76
    Ann_Marie_76 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi Brittany!! You can do this!! Feel free to add me. I totally know what it's like to not get the support from others.
  • brittany82872
    brittany82872 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll be sure to add you. You look amazing by the way!
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You've started the journey so you're already ahead of most. The only other thing I can really say is something someone told me a year or so ago that stuck with me: motivation is temporary. When it's gone, what's left is discipline.

Support from others is a tough thing. It's a sad fact that there are plenty of people out there that would rather see you fail than succeed, and will happily help you fail. Try your best to learn how to ignore them and tune them out. It's a hard enough journey without the negativity.

You've got this!
  • brittany82872
    Options
    That's a really good quote! Thank you for the advice. I'm ready to have an awesome success story like all the people on here
  • HarleyBiker21
    HarleyBiker21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You got this, kid... Keep your chin up, you have support here. Feel free to add.
  • brittany82872
    Options
    Thank you so much.
  • Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    You've started the journey so you're already ahead of most. The only other thing I can really say is something someone told me a year or so ago that stuck with me: motivation is temporary. When it's gone, what's left is discipline.

Support from others is a tough thing. It's a sad fact that there are plenty of people out there that would rather see you fail than succeed, and will happily help you fail. Try your best to learn how to ignore them and tune them out. It's a hard enough journey without the negativity.

You've got this!

^^ Great Advice!

I understand how your weight can get away from you! The same thing has happened to me. We are human! It happens! Don't be hard on yourself!

You have already taken the 1st step of getting on here and starting your new journey! We are here to help motivate you and share in your successes! Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great! Can't wait for the post with your "after" pictures! ;)
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi Brittany!
    Welcome to MFP, the first step is realizing that you want to change, the second is actually doing it! Getting the motivation to join a gym and continue going is extremely hard, but just fit it into your calendar. It took me awhile, but now no matter what I push myself to go (or do some homeworkout) atleast 4 times a week. It is extremely important to not overdo it, especially when you're first getting started! I started out at 5'2 and 240 lbs, I have lost 35 lbs so far and to realize that I can do this has been so empowering.
    A few things to remember: weight loss isn't linear, if you do weigh everyday expect a lot of fluctuation (which is why I weigh once a week), tracking every calorie you put into your body is extremely important (whether it be soda, food, gum, vitamins, or medicine), and most important we are all here to see you succeed! Good luck in your goals, if you want to add me feel free, I post daily motivational quotes and will answer any questions I can that you may have!
    -Janelle
  • brittany82872
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind words. I have joined the gym and successfully have been everyday this week and eating healthy is a lot easier than I thought.
  • dusjujr
    dusjujr Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's OK, I was there so I know what you going...You took the first step and that's best thing you could have done. I was 383lbs in may of 2014 now I'm 267lbs with 72 to go. You can do it just believe in yourself like we all believe in you. you can add me if you like..

Dustin
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    read this:

http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation/

You either want to lose the weight, and do what is necessary to lose it, or not. If you look for "motovation" outside yourself you will fail. Others don't care as much as you should. If you want something, do it and commit to doing it.

We all have to do things that we don't want to because of difficulty, unpleasantness, lack of caring, et al. We do them because we have to.

Yes, losing weight is hard. If it were easy, we'd all be in great shape, and we wouldn't have gotten into the shape that is causing our anguish now. It's not "motovation" you need, it's a commitment to what you say you want. You want to lose weight? Do what is necessary to lose weight, take in fewer calories than you expend. How you achieve that deficit is up to you. How you maintain that deficit is up to you. Whether you maintain that deficit is up to you. There is no "motovation" that will make this easier. There is you doing what is needed to attain what you want. the good news is, that is all that is needed;
    You doing what you want to do.

Be determined, be strong and get what you want.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Someone else posted this link today and it struck me, and thought I would pass it along.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1
  • amytorr19
    amytorr19 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    you have to find what is right for you.. I have been struggling for years, finally found a routine that works for me and losing weight is my motivation. Find the time that works best for you, I workout in the morning, I used to leave it to the evening and never ended up going. Once I started in the morning I stuck to it and started seeing results. Please feel free to add me. I am restarting this journey with you..
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle to go to the gym but I no longer have that problem. I simply ask myself "If I wasn't at the gym, what would I be doing?" - the answer was usually "Sitting and watching TV" and I knew that wasn't going to help me get to my goals! Sometimes you have to give yourself a real mental push and eventually, it'll become your routine and you'll feel strange if you DON'T go! :) Good luck!