My Mind is Made Up

Options
Good Morning all, I tried using my fitness pal 1yr and 6mths ago but that failed , just like all the other weight loss journeys I went on . Just to name a few :quick weight loss, HCG, p90x, weight watchers, I could go on but I won't ramble. I AM READY TO TAKE CONTROL OF MY LIFE.. I need my life back. I went to the doctor 2 days ago and I'm at my heaviest 295 LBS and I'm only 5'2. I'm coming here to look for motivation and support. Also help using this app

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Most people fail because they are either looking for a magic weight loss miracle, or they just make things too complicated and end up giving up in frustration.

The premise of losing weight is universal and quite simple:

Eat less, move more.

If you eat less than your body burns each day, you will lose weight.

The threads contained here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260517/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

are a must-read to get you started. :)
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Welcome to MyFitnessPal! It really works if you USE IT. :)

- Set yourself a calorie goal. MFP will do this for you once you've entered your height and weight. Although it's tempting, don't go for the most aggressive option! You'll be hungry and grumpy and want to quit after a week. Go for a slower and more sustainable loss. Trust me! :))
    - Buy yourself a food scale. Most people who measure their food using eyeballing or measuring cups are underestimating the amount that they're actually eating.
    - Log EVERYTHING. This includes all licks, bites, and tastes, as well as the oils and condiments you use to cook your food, which many people tend to overlook.
    - Don't do a major overhaul all at once. Make small changes, one at a time. Eat what you LIKE within your calories--don't force yourself to eat things that you can't stand because you'll give up eventually. Weight loss is all about calories. Health is about food choices. Slowly incorporating more veggies and whole foods is a great thing to do, but don't go whole hog and burn yourself out!
    - There is no need to exercise your life away. Again, weight loss is all about calories. If you're able to exercise, great! But don't feel that you can't lose weight without it. Again, slowly incorporating some sort of activity you enjoy would be wonderful, but there's no need to kill yourself with five hours of exercise or even jump into a gym membership when you're just starting out. A good starting example is taking a ten minute walk around your neighborhood--or even around your house! Baby steps. :)

All the best to you in your weight loss efforts! :) Take it slow and be consistent. One bad day doesn't mean the end of the world--get right back on it at the very next day, or even better, the very next meal! You can do this. :)
  • Lookin4TheNewMe
    Lookin4TheNewMe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for this advice, honestly my big failure was making it complicated then it becomes frustrating and I quit. Eat less and move more is my motto.

Most people fail because they are either looking for a magic weight loss miracle, or they just make things too complicated and end up giving up in frustration.

The premise of losing weight is universal and quite simple:

Eat less, move more.

If you eat less than your body burns each day, you will lose weight.

The threads contained here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260517/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

are a must-read to get you started. :)[/quote]

• Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You've received some great advice so far. I would add to not make certain foods off-limits. Just learn to eat controlled portions. Make small changes that will last a lifetime.

You can do this. I started out at around your same weight and now maintain in the 140s.
  • fdorcas
    fdorcas Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi! I just want to encourage you to continue to work on your goal to be fit. You can do it! What's important is to not let a mess up take you back to where you were but rather just shake it off immediately and get back on track. You can't change the past but you can definitely change the future you! So continue taking control of what you put into your body and what you do with your body (i.e exercising regularly) and you WILL see results!

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice from other people just remember, realistically to get rid of your weight you have to commit to at least 2 years. I'm not writing this to scare you, i'm writing this to make you understand that you have to stay committed and loyal to you and your journey. do not cheat yourself by putting ridicilously low calories that make you want to just quit. also... start having a conversation with you self... things like --- do i really need this? or should i save the calories for something else. talk to your self, find out why u want to give up.

for example. today, i over worked my body with exercise and i feel tired and fatigued, i wanted to eat and eat and eat but whats that gonna do? i had to stop and rethink.
  • Lookin4TheNewMe
    Options
    Good Night Susieq,

Thank you for the great advice, you are so right baby steps at a time, I started with whole grain brown rice and light whole wheat bread. My mom and grandma came along for support on a 40 minute evening walk. I'm so motivated thanks a lot.

You've received some great advice so far. I would add to not make certain foods off-limits. Just learn to eat controlled portions. Make small changes that will last a lifetime.

You can do this. I started out at around your same weight and now maintain in the 140s.[/quote]
    Welcome to MyFitnessPal! It really works if you USE IT. :)

- Set yourself a calorie goal. MFP will do this for you once you've entered your height and weight. Although it's tempting, don't go for the most aggressive option! You'll be hungry and grumpy and want to quit after a week. Go for a slower and more sustainable loss. Trust me! :))
    - Buy yourself a food scale. Most people who measure their food using eyeballing or measuring cups are underestimating the amount that they're actually eating.
    - Log EVERYTHING. This includes all licks, bites, and tastes, as well as the oils and condiments you use to cook your food, which many people tend to overlook.
    - Don't do a major overhaul all at once. Make small changes, one at a time. Eat what you LIKE within your calories--don't force yourself to eat things that you can't stand because you'll give up eventually. Weight loss is all about calories. Health is about food choices. Slowly incorporating more veggies and whole foods is a great thing to do, but don't go whole hog and burn yourself out!
    - There is no need to exercise your life away. Again, weight loss is all about calories. If you're able to exercise, great! But don't feel that you can't lose weight without it. Again, slowly incorporating some sort of activity you enjoy would be wonderful, but there's no need to kill yourself with five hours of exercise or even jump into a gym membership when you're just starting out. A good starting example is taking a ten minute walk around your neighborhood--or even around your house! Baby steps. :)

All the best to you in your weight loss efforts! :) Take it slow and be consistent. One bad day doesn't mean the end of the world--get right back on it at the very next day, or even better, the very next meal! You can do this. :)

• Lookin4TheNewMe
    Options
    Good Night Lemonychild,

I must be honesty the journey is scary I see success but in the back of my mind I'm still like what if I fail again. But this time MY MIND US MADE UP . I WILL SUCEED. I love the idea of talking to my self and I will do just that . Thanks for the motivation.

agree with the advice from other people just remember, realistically to get rid of your weight you have to commit to at least 2 years. I'm not writing this to scare you, i'm writing this to make you understand that you have to stay committed and loyal to you and your journey. do not cheat yourself by putting ridicilously low calories that make you want to just quit. also... start having a conversation with you self... things like --- do i really need this? or should i save the calories for something else. talk to your self, find out why u want to give up.

for example. today, i over worked my body with exercise and i feel tired and fatigued, i wanted to eat and eat and eat but whats that gonna do? i had to stop and rethink. [/quote]

• Lookin4TheNewMe
    Options
    Good Night Fdorcas,

Thanks so much for your support , I started my exercise two days ago, I walk around my neighborhood and the park. This evening I had a support team my mom and grandma so that's a great start. Thanks again for the motivation.!

I just want to encourage you to continue to work on your goal to be fit. You can do it! What's important is to not let a mess up take you back to where you were but rather just shake it off immediately and get back on track. You can't change the past but you can definitely change the future you! So continue taking control of what you put into your body and what you do with your body (i.e exercising regularly) and you WILL see results!

[/quote]
    fdorcas wrote: »
    Hi! I just want to encourage you to continue to work on your goal to be fit. You can do it! What's important is to not let a mess up take you back to where you were but rather just shake it off immediately and get back on track. You can't change the past but you can definitely change the future you! So continue taking control of what you put into your body and what you do with your body (i.e exercising regularly) and you WILL see results!
  • Lookin4TheNewMe
    Options
    Azurite27 ,

I heard that's the most important thing to do. I have started and doing meal preps I refuse to fail, that way if I'm hungry I can just microwave a meal , grab a quick snack or fruit shake. I know that eating small portions and snacking will Help with my success. Thanks for the motivation.

You can do this. I started out at around your same weight and now maintain in the 140s.[/quote]
    Azurite27 wrote: »

You can do this. I started out at around your same weight and now maintain in the 140s.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Welcome. The time is right. I started at 301 lbs age 59 and didn't think it could be done, but it can! You just have to want it badly enough, make a plan, and stick to it.
    67388953.png
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add my support. Small changes over time are the most sustainable. Don't strive to be perfect, strive to keep moving forward. You can do this.
  • lmeeks66
    lmeeks66 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way, the time is going to pass anyways so I can choose to do my best each day. Then a year from now I won't look back with regrets. And I will probably have lost a few pounds along the way and improved my health.
  • Lookin4TheNewMe
    Options
    Imeeks66, you are exactly right. Every new year I say that losing weight is my ( weight loss resolution) . So this time this is my ( end of year resolution) how many lbs can I end it with lost? . My mind is made up , your right and time goes by so fast. Thanks for your words of encouragement.
  • Lookin4TheNewMe
    Options
    quiltlovinlisaI,

That is my issue wanting to close my eyes and see results, but we both know this is real life and not wonderland. Small changes at a time will eventually become great habits and believe me I owe it to myself , plus MY MIND IS MADE UP. Thanks a lot for your support and motivation.

wanted to add my support. Small changes over time are the most sustainable. Don't strive to be perfect, strive to keep moving forward. You can do this. [/quote]

• Lookin4TheNewMe
    Options
    Lorrpb, Thank you for you motivation . You are a true fighter for losing that much weight and still working on more. Today will make day three on here and dedicated to this journey . Thanks again for that extra push.

The time is right. I started at 301 lbs age 59 and didn't think it could be done, but it can! You just have to want it badly enough, make a plan, and stick to it.
    67388953.png[/quote]
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Welcome. The time is right. I started at 301 lbs age 59 and didn't think it could be done, but it can! You just have to want it badly enough, make a plan, and stick to it.
    67388953.png
    The
    I wanted to add my support. Small changes over time are the most sustainable. Don't strive to be perfect, strive to keep moving forward. You can do this.
    67388953.png
    67388953.png
    67388953.png
    67388953.png

• Christina8720
    Christina8720 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to what you said about making the journey more complicated than it needs to be. Best of luck on your journey! Keeping it simple is so important.
  • Lookin4TheNewMe
    Options
    Thank you Christina ,

I now realize that just portion controls and watching what I eat is a major help. Making healthier choices , this is it my mind is made up !. Good luck on your journey again and good luck to you as well.
  • mtolose1
    mtolose1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think you got this!!!
    I decided this year was going to be my year. Even though the year has almost ended, its still gonna be my year. You know i never ever reply to any comments on here, but i make it every day to read success stories and it helps.
    My advice to you is start of small. I used to say im going to start monday no eating out, go at it hard. And i would only burn myself out. It doesnt work that way. So i started off slower....way slower. I gave up cokes and juices. For about a week or two. I still ate out just no soft drinks. Yeah i know...its like how does that help lol. I tracked everything down on mfp. I was eating still about 3 thousand calories a day!!!!!! I have been very lucky that all my numbers have always been good. The doctor even said you are just lucky....but it will run out of time soon. After cokes and juices, i just changed my portions....still eating out. Instead of those large fries and burger, i would get a happy meal. Yes a happy meal. No cokes and plenty of water before and after my meal. And i learned how to taste my food. Sounds crazy but before i would eat it sooo fast that it would be gone in 15 mins or so. So i would get my happy meal and eat it slowly. Actually tasted my food. After a about another two weeks or so, i changed that happy meal into healthier foods. Chicken, vegetables, greek yogurt. And i read the lables!!!!! Dont get me wrong every once in a while i still eat that happy meal on the weekend :) i have now recently started walking....about half a mile a day. Takes me a while but its going. Its the baby steps that matter!!! And i promise you it can be done. I dont know you, and you dont know me, but i have faith in you. As an added bonus, my face even started to clear up. In about 2 and a half months i have lost a lil weight. My heaviest ever was 316 and i am now 293. And geez i feel better. And trust me when you start seeing results its helps. I track everything on mfp even ketchup, dressing, etc. It all adds up. Oh yeah and always always eat breakfast. You can do it :)
  • hoshizoraaaa
    hoshizoraaaa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Were all here to support you ^_^

Feel free to add me if you need another friend! We can help each other, I myself have over 100lbs to lose :3 And I also just started a few days ago . Lets do this together!

If your determined this time you will get there!