Wanna gain muscle and fat

Options
I'm currently 6ft2 and far too skinny. I've started going to the gym, but I find getting the right amount of calories a real struggle. I need about 3,200, but I just can't get them all. And I can't start buying blenders, nuts and all sorts of other stuff, I don't have the money to spare just yet.

So I have two questions.

What would happen if I didn't eat enough calories but continued working hard at the gym?

And how can I get more calories? Steal food?? HELP!

Replies

• sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

"What would happen if I didn't eat enough calories but continued working hard at the gym?"
    You would see some newb gains and then eventually plateau. Size wouldn't increase but physique might, depending on what your macros look like.

"And how can I get more calories? Steal food?? HELP!"
    Go with calorie dense foods. Eat nuts, ice cream, bagels, whole milk, fatty meats, etc.

I'd recommend eating early and often to start. Try adding 3 or 4 cups of rice (cooked) to your daily intake. Eat oatmeal, nuts, and have shakes with each meal... You don't have to have a blender, but I would try looking into a mass gainer supplement if in the end you can't make ur caloric goal.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The longer I delay eating the less hungry I am or I run out of time to get my calories in (not one to keep eating past 8:00 pm. Once I start eating, it on!

The newb gains are great. And the change in phsique will be evidant if you keep at it in the gym.

I agree with sjohnson, start early. Eat Peanut butter, sweet potatoes, brown rice, cook or prepare with healthy fats like coconut oil, heavy cream (if you can do milk), cheese.. I think I could go on and on..

Do you have a food bank? Got friends and family around to lend a few buck or even have you over for a meal or two?
  • kayemali
    kayemali Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Alright mate, I'm 5,11 and weigh 9.8stone when 2 weeks ago I weighed only 9.5! So wana know what I did, and it is mostly eating, but I've grown muscle not just fat.

It's all about eating but not eating poo! I've struggled to Gain weight all my life and I think this is the heaviest I've ever been.

So what did I do? I eat good, what did I eat?

I'm a uni student and wake up about half hour before my lecture and quickly eat something, and here is what I have daily!

Breakfast- 60grams of oats with full fat milk

Hour later second breakfast or lunch- 5 eggs scrambled or how ever you like with 2 medium slice of whole grain bread

Snack on nuts- go lidl mate you can get loads for like a pound.

Dinner- usually chicken and rice, 100g white basmati rice and two chicken thighs with half avacado!
    Or, cause j work in nandos I have that a lot which be half chicken, coleslaw, mash, and half avacado!

Then before bed I have optimum nutrition mass gainer- I don't have the 300g cause that's to thick, I have 200g with 400ml milk and that's about 1200 calories!

All together I have about 3200 calories a day
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 6ft2 and far too skinny. I've started going to the gym, but I find getting the right amount of calories a real struggle. I need about 3,200, but I just can't get them all. And I can't start buying blenders, nuts and all sorts of other stuff, I don't have the money to spare just yet.

So I have two questions.

What would happen if I didn't eat enough calories but continued working hard at the gym?

And how can I get more calories? Steal food?? HELP!

if you don't eat enough and continue to lift you will either lose weight or maintain your current weight, depending on if you are in a deficit or maintenance.

i would suggest looking for some low cost, high calories foods,but make sure that you get adequate nutrition. SO cookies, ice cream, donuts, etc are great calorie dense foods that tend to be on the cheaper side, so use those to fill in your day but make sure that you are getting adequate nutrition from vegetables, rice, chicken, etc.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Got peanut butter?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You know the answer to this. You need to eat more. If you don't eat enough and go hard at the gym you may be able to recomp. It's a slow process and may get you where you want to be at the end. It's a viable option that will be cheaper because it requires less food, and is a good starting point if you are at a healthy weight. You just eat at maintenance and do progressive resistance training.

If you are looking to actually bulk and put on weight (if you are underweight for example), you can do several things to limit how much you need to spend on food. Firstly, you could cut out all cardio and limit extraneous movement throughout the day (besides your progressive resistance program) to lower you calorie goal. You can also focus on supplementing your diet with inexpensive calories: peanut butter, rice, dried beans, lentils, oats, potatoes, etc.