edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
5027AF8E-AA17-4213-BAB4-462A26EF2128_zpsar24gxtm.jpg

BCA8153D-6EB4-43AF-8155-79FE4A536854_zpssedg2yki.jpg

A41A5E2A-5223-4C6D-A606-BA9977231164_zpsraldbwig.jpg

Replies

• echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It's too bad you do measurements by cups, teaspoons, tablespoons. All known to be very inaccurate.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    It's too bad you do measurements by cups, teaspoons, tablespoons. All known to be very inaccurate.

/thread
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

There is more than one way to put yourself into a calorie deficit. Sometimes trainers and nutritionists will set up things like this for people who either struggle to count calories or find that to be overwhelming. In her case the unit of measurement accounts for variations, which is why the list is broken up like it is. It actually comes out fairly even. In the end she may find she needs to count calories, but this isn't a bad way to start for many people.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It looks like it gives lots of great resources and ideas for what to eat!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

/thread

When I started out I followed something similar. For a person like her who is trying to lose 134 pounds this is a great way to ease into things. It takes the work out of trying to fill macros and micros, but provides servings that will help keep her satisfied. She may reach a point where she has to start weighing foods and counting calories like the rest of us, but you don't need to discourage someone who actually has a decent set up going on.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Actually, for most foods they are only very inaccurate if you don't know how to use a measuring cup or spoon.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    A great way to start. Keep at it! Good luck!
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Great! :-) Looks like you have a good starting point for your program. The next step is to act upon it. Good luck in your fitness lifestyle journey!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @Go4Me2 Recognizing the need to make a change is the first step.
    The Nutritionist Book is a good start. We all started at different places.
    Here are a few links to some of the great Posts that have helped me and many others on this Life Style change. Most have been stickied in announcement threads at the top of each category.
    http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1069278/acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6/p1
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-power-of-habit-part-1-why-habits-matter-688130
    It's a lot of information to digest. Start slow and make small changes.
    Big radical changes have proven to be a Roadmap for Failure.
    usmcmp wrote: »
    When I started out I followed something similar. For a person like her who is trying to lose 134 pounds this is a great way to ease into things. It takes the work out of trying to fill macros and micros, but provides servings that will help keep her satisfied. She may reach a point where she has to start weighing foods and counting calories like the rest of us, but you don't need to discourage someone who actually has a decent set up going on.
    :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It looks wonderful. Bonus points for organization!

Good job!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

Actually, for most foods they are only very inaccurate if you don't know how to use a measuring cup or spoon.

+10

I'm much less concerned with the exacts of what I eat than I am with the less than reliable methods of most energy use through the day, or even worse for exercise calorie burns.

But I must have it all screwed up, as I've only managed to drop my 30+ pounds without having ever used a food scale.

Weight loss is not about absolutes, weight loss is about common sense. And my opinion is that the OP is showing a great deal of that and working towards what will help her meet her goals.
  • Go4Me2
    Go4Me2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
  • Go4Me2
    Options
    Bump
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

+10

I'm much less concerned with the exacts of what I eat than I am with the less than reliable methods of most energy use through the day, or even worse for exercise calorie burns.

But I must have it all screwed up, as I've only managed to drop my 30+ pounds without having ever used a food scale.

Weight loss is not about absolutes, weight loss is about common sense. And my opinion is that the OP is showing a great deal of that and working towards what will help her meet her goals.

I found it is a lot more important to track calories now that i am trying to go sub 10% bf. But my first 30 lbs was more about general knowledge and making better choice which i think the OP is doing. If at some point a plateau occurs then the situation can change and a modified approach may need to be considered (where i am now).
  • Go4Me2
    Options
    I'm counting calories still.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Hogwash.