Brainwashed

Options
I am so thankful I came across the "Things I had to unlearn about losing weight" thread some days ago, but I have to say, I feel brainwashed because even though the 15 chips I ate with my dinner were logged and within my calorie allowance, I can't stop worrying about them... I keep thinking that now that I've eaten those chips (the baaaad food) I have fallen off the wagon and I'm going to start binge eating on chips like I used to. Can anyone else relate to this line or thinking and worrying? I'm an all or nothing gal which is why I have had success with losing weight so many times in the past. I can go months without touching something "bad" and reach my goals on the "good foods" but then once that goal is reached I am right back to binge eating.

How can I better accept this new FREEDOM without worrying to death I'll abuse it? I really want to embrace the "everything in moderation" mentality, but I'm struggling a bit. I feel so guilty. Thanks for the help :smile:

Replies

• AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Practice and patience.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    Sure, I was brainwashed about "fat makes you fat" and first struggled to unlearn that and now am experimenting with having even more fat. Being able to lose weight despite always going over my fat goal helped considerably.
  • ndvoice
    ndvoice Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation, yes. But there are certain foods that are triggers for me. if they are in the house, I will over eat - eventually. Those trigger foods I just don't buy. Outside of that, it's about retraining your brain. My trainer has me on a much higher fat diet (healthy fats) than I'm used to. It feels wrong to be eating all these nuts, etc. but I'm steadily loosing. So I keep telling myself the nuts are ok lol. It's getting easier. I've made friends with the nuts lol!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Lots of practice. You'll make mistakes at all ends of the spectrum and eventually you'll figure it all out.

*ETA: It took me a few years to finally get better control over binge eating. It still happens, but not nearly as often. Keep working at it!
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    Its better to learn to eat the things you like in moderation, than to give them completely up . you're not going to give them up forever right?

Don't beat yourself up :) food is food. If you enjoyed those chips, and they fit into yoir calories,that's all that matters
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Don't stop logging! Whenever I stop logging I start overeating. Slowly I am controlling my overeating on a daily basis. You need to make mistakes to learn what triggers you and sometimes things get worse before it gets better. Just don't stop trying. I'll log for the rest of my life if that's what it takes to control it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Don't think of foods as "good" or "bad". Work on hitting your macros with nutritious food, then work treats in as you can. After a day of good eating, I'm now enjoying a serving of gelato.
  • Greenline30
    Greenline30 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the encouragement and replies. Chips are a definite slippery slope/trigger for me, but I want to conquer this. I know that it's not about how many times you fall but how many you stand up. I just don't want to fall anymore haha... love the response about patience. I'm very new at this, I know.

I was paleo for a long time, so I'm okay with fats. It's the "horrid processed foods" I am stunned that I can eat from time to time.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I am so thankful I came across the "Things I had to unlearn about losing weight" thread some days ago, but I have to say, I feel brainwashed because even though the 15 chips I ate with my dinner were logged and within my calorie allowance, I can't stop worrying about them... I keep thinking that now that I've eaten those chips (the baaaad food) I have fallen off the wagon and I'm going to start binge eating on chips like I used to. Can anyone else relate to this line or thinking and worrying? I'm an all or nothing gal which is why I have had success with losing weight so many times in the past. I can go months without touching something "bad" and reach my goals on the "good foods" but then once that goal is reached I am right back to binge eating.

How can I better accept this new FREEDOM without worrying to death I'll abuse it? I really want to embrace the "everything in moderation" mentality, but I'm struggling a bit. I feel so guilty. Thanks for the help :smile:

That's the problem with the whole idea of using "clean eating" to lose weight. You don't really teach yourself how to eat properly and realistically when you go off that diet, so when you finally do, you binge on the foods that you had previously cut out of your diet. It may take some time, but teach yourself to incorporate the foods you love into your calorie goal and your macronutrient goals.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I weigh those chips and then enjoy. It's better than counting them, which is pretty inaccurate.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    New habits take time to adjust too. That's just how the brain works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the encouragement and replies. Chips are a definite slippery slope/trigger for me, but I want to conquer this. I know that it's not about how many times you fall but how many you stand up. I just don't want to fall anymore haha... love the response about patience. I'm very new at this, I know.

I was paleo for a long time, so I'm okay with fats. It's the "horrid processed foods" I am stunned that I can eat from time to time.

I don't mind spending extra for the individual bags of chips. They are already portioned and it's less tempting to open a second bag than it is to go back to a large open bag.
  • bover145
    bover145 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Think about creating a new relationship with food. Chips are not good or bad... Just something to enjoy and log along with carrots
  • Greenline30
    Greenline30 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I don't mind spending extra for the individual bags of chips. They are already portioned and it's less tempting to open a second bag than it is to go back to a large open bag.

Great idea! Thank you! Surprised that didn't cross my mind
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options

Ya, I get the mini cups of Ben & Jerry's, which are more expensive per pound than the pints, but I can eat a mini-cup and stop. Of course, it helps that my favorite flavors are not available in mini cups.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

I do that sometimes with goldfish crackers and pirate's booty.