Pledge to Fight Childhood Obesity

Options
Hey guys. This is a very big deal. Please take a look at the blog I just posted where I am pledging $5 for every pound that I lose to a non-profit that fights childhood obesity.

http://www.businessoflosingweight.com/losingweight/skin-in-the-game/

Childhood obesity is an epidemic in our country. I challenge you who are working to lose weight to consider making a similar commitment!

Please let me know your thoughts! I need all of the support I can get!

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Great goal for a great cause. I was one of them.

The thing that I would like to say about childhood obesity is that parents need to remember that your children will not eat as much as you, so why do you keep giving them the same size portions as yourself?
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Great cause! Have you been watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution? I'm working side-by-side with both of my kids (21 and 12). I passed my bad habits onto my kids. I am now taking the responsibility to coach my children to make better (healthier) decisions. Every week when I shop I say "if I don't bring it in the house they can't eat it" -- then I walk away from whatever I was tempted to purchase that won't offer any nutritional benefit. I accept responsibility as the primary care giver to my children but did you know that in public schools (quoting Massachusetts) the average school lunch is 850 calories PLUS the kids can order a la carte (extra piece of pizza, a potato, chocolate milk). My daughter has been using MFP as a guide. She has chosen to continue to eat school lunch and she knows she has to factor the 850 calories into her daily food allowance. She has lost 20 pounds since January (slow and steady and at a healthy rate). I'll be more than happy to check out the link. THANK YOU
  • hankhanna
    hankhanna Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Great cause! Have you been watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution? ...I'll be more than happy to check out the link. THANK YOU

Thanks SLaw! I do know about Jamie Oliver's Food Rev. What an awesome cause. I wish someone had taken the time to give me an education on healthy eating when I was younger!
  • hankhanna
    hankhanna Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Anyone else with thoughts? Thanks!