Questions!!! HELLLLLP!!!! IM STUCK!!!!

okay... so here is a question to all my friends.... I keep seeing people post about not eating their workout calories... and just eating what they are supposed to eat for the day... Are we not supposed to eat our workout calories? Someone told me we were supposed to but maybe thats why Im not losing very much....HEEEEEELP?!?!?

I appreciate all of you who can help!

Bree

Replies

• smile72101
    smile72101 Posts: 26 Member
    Yep...looking for the same answers! I have seem very mixed reviews about this subject!!!! There are nights when I have "net"only 500-700 calories but it is bc I haven't ate my work out calories....and I have also heard that you should be iwthin 150 calories of the goal that MFP gives you...including eating exercise calories. If that is the case, that is a lot of calories!!!

I will be intersted to see the responses so we both can get clarification!!

Jen
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    It's difficult to provide a simple yes/no answer to this question because every body is different, and your BMR may be significantly different from MFP's estimation. Some people only need net calorie of 900ish to lose weight and be fit; others need 1800+.

In general, I think you can get away with not eating your exercise calories back (hate this phrase... too long!) if you only burn like 200 calories a day. But if you burn 700, 800 or even 1200 calories a day without eating at least some of it back, you'll have no energy left, and your fat loss will slow down.

Try experimenting with exercise amount and calorie consumption. Increase your net calories, try it for two weeks and see if it works; if it doesn't, try decreasing for two weeks.

Oh, and make sure you're eating enough protein!
  • KaironAndTaviansMommy
    KaironAndTaviansMommy Posts: 68 Member
    It really is alot of calories... I have lost weight both ways, but Im stuck at this number and have been for about a week and a half. When I work out and I eat my workout calories, I end up gaining the next morning, but then after a few days I have a big weight loss... However, when I dont eat my workout calories I seem to be stuck at the same weight for the week but then lose a little bit after a few days! MFP is already telling me that I have to eat 1760 Everyday before working out, then I workout 45 minutes and burn atleast 525 and I dont know about you all but 2285 calories to be eaten is ALOT! and hardly bareable!

Bree
  • KaironAndTaviansMommy
    Thanks! I really appreciate your response...
  • Diana061
    Diana061 Posts: 118 Member
    It really is alot of calories... I have lost weight both ways, but Im stuck at this number and have been for about a week and a half. When I work out and I eat my workout calories, I end up gaining the next morning, but then after a few days I have a big weight loss... However, when I dont eat my workout calories I seem to be stuck at the same weight for the week but then lose a little bit after a few days! MFP is already telling me that I have to eat 1760 Everyday before working out, then I workout 45 minutes and burn atleast 525 and I dont know about you all but 2285 calories to be eaten is ALOT! and hardly bareable!

Bree

I have been stuck gaining and losing the same pound and a half or so for one month ...arrgghhh
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    I usually find that if I eat back some of the calories--keeping my net calories at at least 1200-1500 I am losing more weight & feel better.
  • KaironAndTaviansMommy
    Yeah thats my same problem! I will be at 325 some days then the next day be 327 then the next day be 329 and then after like 3 or 4 days be at like 324. I just dont understand! Its frusterating!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I've learned that there isn't a right or wrong answer to this question because we are all so different. For me, I HAVE to eat them back otherwise my calories are too low otherwise.

But, I don't think I am the "norm" because in order to lose weight I have to eat between 2200-2500 calories a day - which is a HUGE amount of calories.

The first thing I recommend is to find out what your BMR is - you don't want to eat too far under your BMR. Your body needs enough fuel to function properly.

The best thing to do is to figure out what works for YOU.
  • KaironAndTaviansMommy
    But without my workouts my net calories is automatically 1760... so what am i supposed to do?
  • blueillusion3
    blueillusion3 Posts: 151 Member
    make sure you eat the 1760 calories, and if you're hungry, eat some fo the calories back from exercising but if you're not hungry then don't. try this for a couple weeks and if you see results then continue doing it. if not i agree with one of the above replies, try a few things and whichever works the best go with it.

good luck!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member

Bree

If you see a loss when you eat your calories back, eat them. Your body is telling you it needs the extra calories. It's funny how our bodies work - eat more = weight loss. It's weird, but when we're pushing our bodies hard and working out we have to give them enough food.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    I am quoting myself from another thread because this always come up. And a quick side note, 2200 calories is nothing. Read below, if you need more of an answer, let me know.
    Here is my perception on the matter. I actually use this site just to track my calories. I use a different method to determine how many calories I should be eating and suggest it to many. According to this website, if you use their calculations, if you workout and burn 300 calories, than you should eat an extra 300 calories that day because the site has already built in a deficit for you. The more you have to lose the bigger an acceptable deficit is but the closer your goal is, the smaller your deficit should be. This is because the more muscle you have, the lower the body fat, the more fuel you body needs to sustains it's functions. Also, a deficit is should never been more than 1000 calories a day (which would allow for 2 lbs per week loss) but it more acceptable to do 1 lb a week or 500 calorie deficit. Additionally, a woman should eat not less than 1200 net calories. This is the amount of calories after you workout. So if you burn 500 calories, you need at least 1700 calories; men should be no less than 1500-1700 after workout calories from my research. Also, a large part of these calories should be driven by protein based sources. The ammino acids in the protein is what stimulates muscle growth. The more muscle your body has, the more calories you burn at rest.

My approach looks at Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR); BMR is the amount of calories you would burn if you slept 24 hours, for me, my BMR is 2000 calories. I then mutliply it by my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE); how many calories I should eat to make up for daily activities (walking, working out, etc) to get a total number of calories. Because I do a program like p90x, I multiply my 2000 calories by 1.725 which equals 3400 calories. This amount of calories is the amount I need to eat to maintain weight. I back off 500 caloires as my deficit and eat 3000 calories in a day. This is the website I use.

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

I then go into a custom setup under my goals and set my daily intake for 3000 calories (well I will starting sunday, right now it's 2800 because I haven't officially started p90x until sunday). Additionally, to follow the p90x food guide, I set up custom ratio's. I do 45% of carbs, 35% of protein and 20% for fats. As I progress, I will lower protein and increase carbs. This method has worked for me and others I have worked with on the site. MFP just makes it simple for anyone to come on and lose weight. I take more of a scientific approach to weight loss. When I started I was 210 & 18% body fat. Now I am 189 and 12% body fat and hoping to break single digits within 3 months.

Cliff notes: if you go by the sites calculations, you absolutely should eat back your workout calories as they preload the deficit. If you go by the more scientific method, you don't have to worry about it, it's already figured in your number.

Good luck everyone.
  • KaironAndTaviansMommy
    Thanks! I will try that and see how it goes! Wish me luck!\

Bree
  • mom_2_girls
    mom_2_girls Posts: 18 Member
    Most people say yes, you are supposed to eat the calories you burn off. However, if the calorie burned estimate is over estimated and you eat the calories back, you will gain weight. I do not eat all of my calories back. Sometimes I may eat a few back, but that is it. If you do not eat the calories back, you will lose weight faster. It is simple math, the higher the calorie deficit, the more weight lost. However, if you are under eating with your calories, make sure you are eating enough protein ( I would also make sure to take a multivitamin). To much calorie deficiency will begin to deteriorate your muscles (basic explanation). I usually supplement with protein shakes for a meal or a protein shot occassionally after working out hard. (One of my doctors just talked to me about a program that is similar to what I have been doing. He even talked about how the shakes had a lot of protein b/c of the low calorie diet). A year and a half ago, I dieted off and on (about 4 months total) and when I did this, I lost 60 lbs. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    I am following a program that requires I eat 10 calories X my body weight each day - I'm eating approximately 200-300 calories every 2-3 hours (except when sleeping). I burn between 600-1000 calories per day and have lost 40 lbs. What I have found is by eating more frequently my metabolism is on fire - plus I take a LOT of supplements - which help me with my workouts. I have plateau'd for about 2 weeks and then it will kick in again. I also allow myself one cheat meal each week (typically the same day - not necessarily the same meal). That seems to "trick" (for lack of a better word) my body...I don't understand it but it's working.

I would not concern myself with what is or isn't left over each day - if you are eating consistently your body will know it's always going to get another meal soon and will not store your calories as fat. This is just me though...I hope this gives you a little something to try.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    I am following a program that requires I eat 10 calories X my body weight each day - I'm eating approximately 200-300 calories every 2-3 hours (except when sleeping). I burn between 600-1000 calories per day and have lost 40 lbs. What I have found is by eating more frequently my metabolism is on fire - plus I take a LOT of supplements - which help me with my workouts. I have plateau'd for about 2 weeks and then it will kick in again. I also allow myself one cheat meal each week (typically the same day - not necessarily the same meal). That seems to "trick" (for lack of a better word) my body...I don't understand it but it's working.

I would not concern myself with what is or isn't left over each day - if you are eating consistently your body will know it's always going to get another meal soon and will not store your calories as fat. This is just me though...I hope this gives you a little something to try.

Wow that is awesome, That is essentially what I do. In fact, teh 2 times I have plateau'd, I just increased my calories by 200 calories and the weight loss continued. Now it will just be harded because I only have 5 lbs left and 3% of body fat left to lose to be ideal. BTW, what program are you doing?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    you know what, that is not really a huge amount of calories--if you think about what you used to eat before you started paying attention? I don't know about you, but did you ever go to Panera and eat 1 of those spinach-artichoke souffles? and then have a brownie, and that was only breakfast? ummmm I did. several times a week.

soooooo, everyone does hit plateaus, and also if you weigh yourself every day you will see up and down (I know i do the same thing). However, in my experience losing 50+ pounds after each pregnancy and maintaining my weight pretty well for 6 years until I gained 10 last year, I HAVE to eat my exercise calories. I will not lose a darn thing, and I will be cranky and annoyed too, if I eat too few calories. then I will get discouraged, binge, gain and quit.

best suggestion I have is to go back to weighing and measuring EVERYTHING. It's easier than we think to make mistakes and underestimate what we're eating when we eyeball. Also I load my plate w/ 2 or 3 different veggies and 3 kinds of fresh fruit for every meal, eat that first.

Also I plan out what I'm going to eat and enter it before I even eat it so I know what I have left for snacks. Obviously sometimes I change things, but then I immediately adjust the diary and plan accordingly.

best of luck!
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Its called the "Body Transformation Plan" - Its for females, over 40 who want to lose fat and build muscle. Not to recommend another site (because I like the trackers on this sight much better) but it's on bodybuilder.com. If you go there - click the "find a plan" and from there it will take you to the videos/workouts, etc. I have been doing this plan now for about 2 months and really enjoy the workouts.

Good luck!!
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Eating back exercise cals is a huge debate on here. In april I was on MFP for a month before I quit. Back then I didn't eat my exercise calories back and I lost 8 lbs but I always felt bad and my food diary would often say I could go into starvation if I ate that little. Keep in mind also that MFP has a built in deficit. Right now I'm eating back exercise calories, not all of them, but I'm left with about 100ish cals per day and am no longer in starvation mode. Plus, I feel better and have energy!!