cooking spray...???

Options
i have been using cooking spay for like ever and it has 0 cals but i was wondering is it considered frying when your cooking fish or chicken????? does that change the cal. count on the food???

Replies

• reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    The math don't add up darlin'...where in the hell do the calories come from...thin air?
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    It is still frying. No, it doesn't change the calorie count.

*you're
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The math don't add up darlin'...where in the hell do the calories come from...thin air?

If calories were materialising in it... wouldnt that make it "Fat air"... ? Just saying.... :laugh:
  • Melimonkey
    Melimonkey Posts: 34
    Options
    no frying would have to be in oil or lard. the cooking spray is just to keep food from sticking to the pan.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    If you look on the packaging, it says 0 calories if less than a specific amount is used. It is oil. Oil contains calories.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Oil contains calories.

This is news to me.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Unless you're using a significant amount of cooking spray, I wouldn't worry about it changing the calorie content... for fish, chicken, vegetable, eggs, or anything else. Lol. But, cooking spray DOES have calories. FDA allows food companies to label foods that are 5 calories or less PER SERVING as a 0 calorie food item. I think the can should say something like a serving size it a 1/5 of a second spray. Even if you use several servings, I still wouldn't worry about it. When you're counting cooking spray, then you're getting a bit obsessive. T-R-U-S-T me . If the FDA allows for food to be rounded down to 0 calories, just imagine what other rules are out there! A 100 calorie snack pack, for example, could have anywhere from 90-120 calories. An even 100 sounds better though, right? :) It all works out in the end though.

Still, unless you're using a VERY significant amount of cooking spray, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Crazyoddball
    Crazyoddball Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Unless you're using a significant amount of cooking spray, I wouldn't worry about it changing the calorie content... for fish, chicken, vegetable, eggs, or anything else. Lol. But, cooking spray DOES have calories. FDA allows food companies to label foods that are 5 calories or less PER SERVING as a 0 calorie food item. I think the can should say something like a serving size it a 1/5 of a second spray. Even if you use several servings, I still wouldn't worry about it. When you're counting cooking spray, then you're getting a bit obsessive. T-R-U-S-T me . If the FDA allows for food to be rounded down to 0 calories, just imagine what other rules are out there! A 100 calorie snack pack, for example, could have anywhere from 90-120 calories. An even 100 sounds better though, right? :) It all works out in the end though.

Still, unless you're using a VERY significant amount of cooking spray, I wouldn't worry about it.

thank you Funkyspunky871 that does help me. and you are right i wont worry wbout it to much. :-)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Oil contains calories.

This is news to me.

1 tablespoon of olive oil contains 120 calories and 14g of fat.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

1 tablespoon of olive oil contains 120 calories and 14g of fat.

:laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:

(I was totally joking btw. . .)
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    Cooking spray is in the MFP food database (and quite a few other resources for nutritional information) if are curious or if you wanted to start adding it to your diary.

It does contain low quantities of calories and fat so it is up to you if you want to log it. Some people do, just for accountability, and some don't because the amounts are quite negligible.

As a previous post indicated, unless you are spraying the pan for several continuous seconds, you are not getting a significant amount of either fat or calories.
  • Crazyoddball
    Crazyoddball Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Cooking spray is in the MFP food database (and quite a few other resources for nutritional information) if are curious or if you wanted to start adding it to your diary.

It does contain low quantities of calories and fat so it is up to you if you want to log it. Some people do, just for accountability, and some don't because the amounts are quite negligible.

As a previous post indicated, unless you are spraying the pan for several continuous seconds, you are not getting a significant amount of either fat or calories.

thank you Jenny i will check that out. :-)