Losing weight when traveling on business

Options
I just got back from a conference and I had gained 2 pounds in a week. I had tried to eat healthy but being a vegetarian, there wasn't much to eat. This was one of those conferences where they grouped all the dietary preferences/allergies into one meal: vegan gluten free here I come. And while I was walking more, I was waking up at 5:30 to get to the conference, was getting back to my room around 9 after it was done, then working for a few hours until I crashed. What strategies do you have to lose weight during conferences?

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's hard. As you noted, not many choices and it's very difficult to log accurately. If you attend conferences a couple times a year, I wouldn't worry about it and just eat at a reasonable deficit at home when you have the tools you need to do so. If you spend half your time in conferences, a different approach is needed. In that case, could you arrange with the hotel for the same room service breakfast every day with the foods you need, maybe including something you can have later as a snack? Meal replacement shake for lunch or augment your gluten vegan delight with a protein shake?

ETA: I traveled every week for many years, so I sympathize. I just made the best choices I could on the road and made up for it at home. I carried almonds in my bag and always grabbed a whole fruit where they were offered (i.e. hotel gym or front desk).
  • Erinkidd01
    Erinkidd01 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I travel for work about once a month. Usually it's not for a week, but still traveling. That's a good idea with the room service although they make the food very different than I do at home. For instance, that trip, I ordered eggs and toast. The eggs were covered in butter. They were actually hard to eat. I guess I should have been more specific, although when coworkers are also ordering its a bit awkward to specialize every order.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yea, I know what you mean. They often mix pancake batter in the eggs to make them fluffy, so I'd always order hard boiled. Easier to take with you if necessary, too. And agreed, more limited ordering with coworkers than room service where you can request extra stuff like whole fruit or oatmeal packets or whatever to have on hand throughout the day.
  • tonytiger1207
    tonytiger1207 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you truly want to lose while traveling you may have to set convienence aside and seek out the local grocery store and take your chow with you
    Being a vegetarian that may be easier if youre into raw food already. Just a thought.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    If you truly want to lose while traveling you may have to set convienence aside and seek out the local grocery store and take your chow with you
    Being a vegetarian that may be easier if youre into raw food already. Just a thought.
    ^^^This + bring healthy snacks, stay at a hotel w/a gym (or find a gym close by) and don't miss a workout.

I travel for work conferences 6+ times per year, so I can empathize with your plight!

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bring your own food/eat before you go. I do this as a vegetarian all the time. Wedding/conference catered vegetarian food is gross and I never put that stuff in my body. I'd rather go hungry (which I don't like hence bringing my own food!).
  • Erinkidd01
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I don't know why it never occurred to me to go to a grocery store and make my own food. That's a great idea. Granted the hotel I was in last week didn't have a fridge so I couldn't really store yogurt and things like that. Probably better researching of hotels will fix that in the future.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If there wasn't much to eat, it's most likely water retention from the travel. Unless, I suppose, you really did eat 1000 calories above maintenance every day for 7 days.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Erinkidd01 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. I don't know why it never occurred to me to go to a grocery store and make my own food. That's a great idea. Granted the hotel I was in last week didn't have a fridge so I couldn't really store yogurt and things like that. Probably better researching of hotels will fix that in the future.
    Yogurt is pretty easy to keep even without a fridge for a day or two. You can stick it in the ice bucket with ice and it will do fine. I've done that plenty of times when we didn't end up with a fridge.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Some hotels will bring in a mini fridge for a small additional fee if you will be there enough days to merit. My friend & I did this in NOLA to cut down on restaurant meals.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Using the ice bucket is a great idea. You might even be able to expand the "refrigeration" by purchasing a reusable folding insulated bag (such as are available in grocery stores) and fill that with ice as well. Plenty of room to keep yogurt, fruit, veggies, and even containers of prepared foods that could be eaten cold. If the room has a coffee pot, you can heat water for oatmeal etc.
  • alohajls
    alohajls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I travel, I make oatmeal packs. Into a plastic bag I put a packet of plain instant oatmeal, some sliced almonds and dried fruit (which I have weighed, and written the grams in sharpie on the bag) and a plastic spoon. All you need is some hot water and a cup. Most hotels have coffee makers and cups in the room, or you can get hot water at the morning breakfast set up (I'll ask for an extra cup with a little hot water when I go to Starbucks for my coffee). It's not ideal for me, but it is measurable, has fiber and protein and I don't feel like I blew my day on a mystery meal from the get go.

I also pack lots of snacks that don't require refrigeration (again, all measured out in plastic bags for easy logging): popcorn, nuts, cheese sticks, protein bars, etc. I am not beyond scarfing down a sly bite or two of a protein bar outside the lecture hall/conference room at an event! I figure if I have oatmeal for breakfast, a few snacks to keep me from falling over, and as much water as possible throughout the day, I can have *some* of whatever dinner is available (i.e., if you have to go out with colleagues, or whatever). I can generally keep my calories within target on travel days, but macros and sodium get thrown out the window.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    alohajls wrote: »
    When I travel, I make oatmeal packs. Into a plastic bag I put a packet of plain instant oatmeal, some sliced almonds and dried fruit (which I have weighed, and written the grams in sharpie on the bag) and a plastic spoon. All you need is some hot water and a cup. Most hotels have coffee makers and cups in the room, or you can get hot water at the morning breakfast set up (I'll ask for an extra cup with a little hot water when I go to Starbucks for my coffee). It's not ideal for me, but it is measurable, has fiber and protein and I don't feel like I blew my day on a mystery meal from the get go.

I love this!!! I am going to do it from now on. Thank you!
  • Erinkidd01
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I don't know why I never thought of using the ice bucket. I always thought it was stupid that hotels had them in every room. The oatmeal is an awesome idea too. I'll have to try that one next time I travel.

I wonder if it would be strange to bring hard boiled eggs on a plane.

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Go to the cvs/Walgreens ect next to the grocery store and buy a styrofoam ice chest.
  • jessieknh
    jessieknh Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I travel for work also. You can request a fridge with most hotels even if they are not standard in the room. If they give you a hard time tell them you need it to store medication. When I travel I usually try to bring granola bars or nuts for breakfast. Most of my travel is to cities so in the evenings I try to take a walk and find something that's not too bad for dinner. I find I have the hardest time when eating at the airport. There just isn't a ton of calorie friendly food in the restaurants.
  • saucesofit
    saucesofit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I travel for work a lot and compete as a bodybuilder. In my offseason, when I don't need to be as strict, I either bring lots of portable things with me or stop at a grocery store as soon as I land. I like to have oats, protein powder, protein bars, nuts, egg whites, yogurt - obviously this is easier with a fridge, but doable without. I always plan to eat meals with clients, but I'm very mindful and use the other things I bring to fill the wholes. My meals out are general small and I overestimate when logging.

When I'm nearer to a show I will actually bring an insulated meal back and pack every meal I will eat. Yes, even for a week. It takes a lot of preparation before I leave, but I know exactly what I'm eating. And while I worried about the reaction of colleagues, I've actually found it to be a great conversation starter! I have come to realize that most of the fear we have about people judging our chosen diets is largely self-created.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion to head to the grocery store and stock your room with healthy, easy snacks.

Also, if possible I try to take the stairs as often as I can. I was recently in Key West for a conference, and my room was on the 4th floor. I used the stairs every time I went to my room and, despite spending 8-10 hours each day sitting on my butt, I managed to get my 10K steps in every day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Always call ahead to see if the room will have a fridge. Sometimes they only give you a room with a fridge if you specifically ask for one. I was at a hotel last year that only gave you a room with a fridge if you said it was a medical necessity. I consider my health (weight control partially through what I eat) as a medical necessity so I asked for one (and got it.)